What Games Are You Playing?

VoxPhantom said:
Had a bit of a go on Civilization V over the last 2 or 3 days, and whilst it's okay, it just feels too easy... I'm no expert at the game and I rarely play above Prince difficulty, but the AI feels so feeble in this game that I'm re-purchasing Civ 4 (curse you Direct2Drive!) in order to get a proper challenge!

Or you could just play a harder difficulty on Civ 5. :p

Mutsumi said:
VoxPhantom said:
Had a bit of a go on Civilization V over the last 2 or 3 days, and whilst it's okay, it just feels too easy... I'm no expert at the game and I rarely play above Prince difficulty, but the AI feels so feeble in this game that I'm re-purchasing Civ 4 (curse you Direct2Drive!) in order to get a proper challenge!

I'm fed up with the whole one-unit-per tile system and the cultural penalties for expansion, so I'm not really inclined to keep playing Civ 5, even if the difficulty is ramped up.

Finished the main story of Tales of Graces F.

Spoilers for the ending follow: I really liked the ending! Found myself actually quite moved by it. While I did see the whole "Sophie tries to sacrifice herself but Asbel does it instead, except that he'll survive" thing coming, I thought it worked well. Maybe it's because I had rock-bottom expectations of the story and characters going in, but I grew very fond of the cast. I remained invested in the story until the end and I cared about what happened to the cast, which is the sign of a good story in my opinion. Overall I really enjoyed the game, the combat system in particular was just so much fun. There were times when the dungeons felt repetitive and samey, and there was a lot more backtracking than I would have liked. I'm very glad that I played it though. Next up it's on to the Future Arc, Lineage and Legacies! The glimpse of grown up Sophie at the end of the main story was very intriguing, so I hope that the Future Arc will explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
VoxPhantom said:
Mutsumi said:
VoxPhantom said:

I'm fed up with the whole one-unit-per tile system and the cultural penalties for expansion, so I'm not really inclined to keep playing Civ 5, even if the difficulty is ramped up.

A stacks-of-doom fan, eh?

Mutsumi said:
A stacks-of-doom fan, eh?
I wouldn't call myself a fan of them, especially when they're banging down the doors to several of my cities! :wink:

But when the alternative is trying to maneuver archers/catapults via convoluted routes to support my melee units, I definitely prefer the previous way of doing things. For example, I conquered a city on the very edge of the enemy's empire, which only had one land tile on the same land mass as them, so I could only base one unit there... It was incredibly frustrating trying to plan my invasion when I only had that one unit ready to attack without suffering the amphibious landing penalty!

Now that i own Resident Evil 6, been working on that properly. I was working on my brothers copy until now, so now i can put my full attention to it. Chris 1-2, Jake 1-2 and Leon 1-3 done, and so far i find chris' mode to be the most lacking. Leon feels the most RE like, and sherrys(jakes, but i prefer to call it sherrys) mode is going down an interesting route, though i'm not sure how it'll do later into the game. It isn't as bad as i first feared, but it still mostly lacks that resi feel i had hoped would still be there. Will report back when i get more done.

The Walking Dead - Episode 4: not quite the emotional rollercoaster of the previous episode, but still a few surprises here and there... I just finished it and it ended with no teaser for episode 5. Needless to say I am both excisted and slightly fearful for the final chapter and horrific outcome.

Omaru_SD said:
The Walking Dead - Episode 4: not quite the emotional rollercoaster of the previous episode, but still a few surprises here and there... I just finished it and it ended with no teaser for episode 5. Needless to say I am both excisted and slightly fearful for the final chapter and horrific outcome.
Yeah, me too - but the very last scene off the episode... Oooo, I'm not sure if I'd let the doc have Clem after I'd been bitten... But at least I have no more whiny and useless Ben on my story now... \o/

So there was The Walking Dead (obviously...), and I'm playing Dragon Age Origins - Nicked it off my bro, and now I'm pretty obsessed with it.
I also play the Planetside 2 Beta when I'm not doing that.

Playing Pokemon White 2 and Resident Evil 6 mainly.

I like RE6. Totally confused by the mediocre reviews. I think liek others have said if it didn't bear the RE6 name it would have got 8 or 9/10s as an action game.

I didn't even find Chris's campaign boring like everyone else seems to.

I've played all of Leon, all of Chris and half of Jake now and by far the superior part of the game has been the first 3 or so chapters of Leon's campaign (but equally my most hated part of the game was the last Leon act, it justs started to get frustrating). Shocked at how many times I'm dying to say I'm playing on normal.

Annoyed that they've changed the collectibles/inventory/skills systemt hough. I loved collecting the guns and the gems etc in RE5 and upgrading your skills just doesn't seem the same. Guess you can't be seriously overpowered now though with infinite fully powered magnums et al.

Bought Kid Icarus Uprising at last, it's absolutely hilarious so far! It's a lot of fun to play, once I tweaked the controls a bit in the options it played fine (I upped the speed of the stylus movement so that it felt closer to Metroid Prime Hunters).

Slowly playing Pokemon White 2 as well, only just gotten my first badge. I picked Tepig this time as my starter, went for Oshawott in Black 1. It's still great fun to play, and I like that there's an increased variety of wild Pokemon right from the beginning.

@FourthLion - My issue with Chris' mode is chris and piers themselves, the gameplay is mostly ok, it feels a bit meh at first, and way to action orientated for Resident Evil(my main gripe) but it is ok. However i think my patience with the characters started to collapse in chapter 4. Now, ok, he's enraged and on the path of vengeance for what "Ada Wong" has done. But surely he'd notice that she can't change clothes that fast after every time they see her in this chapter? How can they not tell something was off? God that annoyed me to no end.

Asides from that, i've finished Jake, now i have chris 5 then leon 5(since i'm doing it chronologically, or close to it) to do to get these three campaigns down. It isn't as bad as i first feared, but it is by no means a stellar title, or one deserving of praise. It's just....there, and that's it. It's quite obvious they wanted to attract a new market with the game, and even though i respect them for doing so, this has more than likely removed some of the original fan base away, something you should never do. There is an interesting article on Destructoid i found fairly accurate in the situation capcom is in with RE overall, and i guess to some degree, as a whole too, which i will go and find for your perusal, it's not far off the mark.

I totally agree that Chris and Piers suck as characters (has Chris had a total personality transport after the previous games? I know he's been through trauma but hell it's not like he had an easy time in earlier games). Their whole campaign is mostly a big cliche in terms of sory and does little for the Resident Evil universe. I have a feeling you'll feel even more of a destruction of your patience in Chris chapter 5, where suspension of disbelief is heightened to new levels and the whoel RE rulebook seems to get thrown out the window. I can understand people having an issue with all of that, but the main complaint I ahve been seeing is that there were too many fire fights andit got boring, that's not how I felt about Chris' campaign at all. I never got bored of shooting stuff, just got bored of him being a dick and Piers lacking any kind of real personality or relevance.

That said I think other things lift the game back up and it is still a great game, or there's a great game hiding in there somewhere anyway. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 Leon chapters more than anythign else I've played this year. There are bit sof Chris' campaign that rocked too. I loved going through the going through the tenement building hunting/being hunted by the invisible snake BOW for a start, though killing it was alittle anticlimatic.

I'm playing Zelda: Twilight Princess at the moment, first time I've played through it, I'm at the water temple but feel like I'm loosing interest though :/ doesn't feel like one of my favorite Zelda's but maybe I'm just not in the mood.

Indulging in a bit of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. I don't remember it being this difficult when I was younger!

Mind you, I was probably using cheat codes back then... :oops:

I've now completed Resident Evil 6, all 4 campaigns. It's the biggest mixed bag i've had to play in a long while. Leons campaign was nicely done, and i agree, the first 3 chapters are easily the highlights for the game. Chris was a shambles. I often felt that his campaign felt more tacked on than anything else, and i've already explained my position on them as characters for this. Sherrys mode was not bad though. Asides from getting that RE3 feel with Ustanak, it felt like they where trying to go for a movie feel maybe. All things considered, it wasn't bad that they did that, but maybe could've been a little better. As for the fourth campaign. Puzzles! they do exist! i liked the first 2 chapters a fair bit, 3 wasn't bad, and 4 probably had the freakiest boss in the entire game. 5 felt to much like an on-rails kind of thing, so i was a little disappointed. Also That end for Adas campaign, focusing on Jake? I'm not sure i like what that hints at. "leaving it to the new generation" kind of thing. It makes me think we're going into pure action, something it doesn't need anymore

I'm going to write my review up for it later today alongside some berserk, so yeah. Not sure what to work on next though, will see.

Arbalest said:
I've now completed Resident Evil 6, all 4 campaigns. It's the biggest mixed bag i've had to play in a long while. Leons campaign was nicely done, and i agree, the first 3 chapters are easily the highlights for the game. Chris was a shambles. I often felt that his campaign felt more tacked on than anything else, and i've already explained my position on them as characters for this. Sherrys mode was not bad though. Asides from getting that RE3 feel with Ustanak, it felt like they where trying to go for a movie feel maybe. All things considered, it wasn't bad that they did that, but maybe could've been a little better. As for the fourth campaign. Puzzles! they do exist! i liked the first 2 chapters a fair bit, 3 wasn't bad, and 4 probably had the freakiest boss in the entire game. 5 felt to much like an on-rails kind of thing, so i was a little disappointed. Also That end for Adas campaign, focusing on Jake? I'm not sure i like what that hints at. "leaving it to the new generation" kind of thing. It makes me think we're going into pure action, something it doesn't need anymore

I'm going to write my review up for it later today alongside some berserk, so yeah. Not sure what to work on next though, will see.

Yeah, like 1 puzzle per chapter... I didn't have a problem with Chris's campaign, except the running sequence away from the final boss.

I agree about 4th campaign's ending though... it seemed unecessary. Jake's was uneven, some good bits, some bad a lot of fetching stuff...

Back