What Games Are You Playing?

I've not played many first person shooters myself....or third person come to think of it, but i'v always wanted a good one, any recommendations, PS2 is my consol of choice mostly.

Charter_Mage said:
I've not played many first person shooters myself....or third person come to think of it, but i'v always wanted a good one, any recommendations, PS2 is my consol of choice mostly.
"Good FPS" and "PS2" don't sit together as well as they could/should... The original Half-Life is on there... but it's ancient and frankly, if you have a PC less than 6/7 years old, you can play the original PC version anyway. Same goes for Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament(PC is much better - console FPS games are severly handicapped by the fact that you play them with a gamepad. No amount of autoaim can replace the Mouse/Keyboard combo).

The Timesplitters games are good fun though. The Red Faction games are so-so and Killzone has recieved a critical drumming. Killzone sequel (PS3) looks wonderful, but if those graphics are actually achievable at that Frame Rate, I will eat my own hat. Well, i'll buy a hat and then eat it. That's pretty much it for FPS games on PS2. PC is far and away the home of FPS, and X-Box the next best thing.

Best FPS IMO: Half-Life 2. Hands Down.

And people who like Halo live in symetrical houses.

Been playing through Rezi 4 over and over since it was released, its just so good. Also some Rome Total War even though its filled with bugs.

Not playing anything atm cos of exams :cry: but have got Pariah and some game called Boiling Point waiting to be played when I'm done. Last thing I played through was Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, pretty good.

Half Life 2 still owns everything that's been released on the PC since though.

buddy said:
Not playing anything atm cos of exams

Same, but unfortunately I can't play anything recent anyway with my old PC. Fortunately I have a decent sized stockpile of older games set aside for just such an occasion, and I look forward to working my way through at least some of the following:

- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & Alien Crossfire
- Abe's Odyssey & Abe's Exodus
- Baldur's Gate 1&2 (Plus expansions)
- Starlancer
- Tachyon: The Fringe (voiced by BRUCE CAMBPELL, no less. :mrgreen: )

And some other that I can't remember, and other still that I only managed to partly get through.

I'm a fan of space combat games among other things, which few actually make anymore. If you are as well, then you have to try Freespace 1&2. Simply brilliant.

Charter_Mage said:
Thanks kupoartist, i will bare that all in mind....although i might just venture away from my PS2 and go for Half-Life 2
By all means do... however, be aware that:

1) Half-Life 2 has high system requirements. Actually, it's playable on more older systems than most new games, but part of the whole appeal of HL2 is how awesome it looks, so you really need a good PC.

2) Steam. I can imagine this to be the single most off putting aspect of playing Half-Life 2 there can possibly be. Steam is required for install and you have to use it to play Half-Life 2. Steam requires an internet connection, and unless you want to spend 14 years waiting for Half-Life 2 to update, you need broadband. What's more, Half-Life 2 CD-Key's are tied to your Steam account. No selling the game on (though most will testify that you won't want to because the game is good).

3) There is no training mission. The basics of the game - shooting and movement - aren't ever explained. If you're seriously playing FPS games for the first time, HL2 may be a dive straight into the deep end, though the new things it brings to the FPS genre are given adequate explanation.

4) HL2 is a direct sequel to HL1. Hence if you haven't played the original, some stuff will be lost on you (immediate question: "who the hell is this suited guy jabbering to me?". Though TBH, anyone who has played all the HL games still can't answer it ^^). Regardless, Half-Life 1 is a great game in it's own right (As is Opposing Force, the expansion pack) the trouble is, it may not be interesting purely because it is so long in the tooth...

5) Demo! Try before you buy! http://www.half-life.com/ To be honest, the demo is a bit dull... it shows you a short but interesting sequence from right at the beginning of the game and then transplants you to Ravenholm. Some people see this as their favorite area, I personally thought it was the least interesting.

If you like what you see, Amazon.co.uk have the game for less than £13 at the moment...

I might try that demo out as long as it's free and all, although i'm not sure about your first point kupoartist, my sister has the Sims 2 and i'v only ever played it once, the reason for that being everything moves infuriatingly slow, it takes about half an hour to load most things, it jumps about, even when you've finished playing the computer continues to move the pace of a snail, and that only time i played it it gave me such a headache (brought on for the above reasons) i could only play it for half an hour. And i'm guessing this is to do with it's system requirements

with my exams currnently commin up, the only game i play, wehn taking a break from revising is
The Legend Of Zelda-Four Swords Adventures

i just love this game, the puzzles in the levels are quite hard, so it is chalanging. and im on the last level, so i may finish it off today....

and the other game i am playing is Naruto 3 on the GC, the game rocks!
i have to get like 10,000 money, to unlock the last character, Itachi!

valha said:
is it free to play online or do you have to reg and pay a monthy fee?
Completely free. The only payment involved on Steam is that you can choose to buy the games on it rather than from a shop (though you don't get a box or CD, which is pretty much a negative). No monthly fees.

Charter_Mage said:
I might try that demo out as long as it's free and all, although i'm not sure about your first point kupoartist, my sister has the Sims 2 and i'v only ever played it once, the reason for that being everything moves infuriatingly slow, it takes about half an hour to load most things, it jumps about, even when you've finished playing the computer continues to move the pace of a snail, and that only time i played it it gave me such a headache (brought on for the above reasons) i could only play it for half an hour. And i'm guessing this is to do with it's system requirements
If it has trouble playing the Sims 2, it is quite likely that you'll have trouble with HL2 (nice example screenie). That said, it's always worth trying these the demo out to give yourself an idea of how / if it'll run. Remember, that if you get bad performance, you should have the settings as low as possible... if you can cope with how much more ugly it is...

valha said:
is it free to play online or do you have to reg and pay a monthy fee?

For Half-Life 2? There's no subscription fee, just the one off for buying the game (there's 3 seperate pricing schemes as well, depending on how much extra stuff you want with HL2).

STEAM is mainly an attempt to move away from a publisher based method of selling, allowing the creators to keep a larger share of the profits and cut out the middle man. While I'll admit that it's had its problems, I have to say I'm all for it. They just need to refine the system a bit more. By now, buying HL2 over STEAM is pretty solid, they've ironed out any major kinks. You can still buy Half-Life 2 in stores, but it won't be playable until you go online and register with Steam's central database (and IIRC, there might be some unlocking to do as well). After that you should be OK to go.

Basically you install STEAM, and use this to download and purchase the version of HL2 which you're after (IIRC, most people go for the silver pack). Once you've registered with steam and downloaded the game, you can configure it so that you don't need to log into steam anymore to play the singleplayer game. Every time you use it online though (to play Counter Strike for example), the game checks your copy against the STEAM database to make sure it's legit.

i play second life and you have to dl the game from there website. you cant buy it from shops. Some people dont like buying games like this as they only have 56k ot a slow connection but with second life you have to have good conntion the play it well anyway so it works good for the game.

I somehow came across this game called the showergel game at the axeeffect.com site. Basically you got a hot chick downstairs and you've got to clear your bathroom of incriminating evidence of other women before she comes up so that you can jump in the shower together. Rather simple game but hey it's not everyday you've got a hot lady asking you to jump into the shower with her.

Lol! Sounds funny. I just completed kingdom hearts, so now i need a new reason not to study for up coming exams. Man... I have way too much time on my hands. Hunched over a computer all day. Maybe i should ring up some friends and go out... Anyway, yeah. It was a really good game. I can't wait for kingdom hearts 2 to come out on ps2. <3

zuki said:
Lol! Sounds funny. I just completed kingdom hearts, so now i need a new reason not to study for up coming exams.
It was always almost impossible for me to study for exams, it's just impossible to keep my mind on such a boring task, i would always find something nice a distracting to take my mind of it :lol:

Back