What did you RECEIVE today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recieved today...

Gunslinger Girl complete season 1 (Blu-ray).
Queen's Blade season 1 complete collection (Blu-ray).
Kanokon the girl who cried fox OVA collection.
The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya (Hardback).

Still waiting on Eden of the East - King of Eden Blu-ray. :(

After several weeks of not much, today saw veritable treasure trove of R1 DVDs drop through me letterbox.

Baccano BD
Durarara 2 & 3
Project A-Ko
Ga-Rei Zero
A Wind Named Amnesia
Blassreiter part 2

Here's to another several weeks of not a lot \o/

FMA: Brotherhood volumes 2, 3 and 4 - US releases on BD. Now looking beautiful on the shelf together in their shiny slipcases like no ratings sticker smeared, Manga designed UK versions ever could. I'm rather enjoying the show as well.

Ohh, and notification that my new PC and monitor have shipped. I feel a little giddy at the thought.

I have noticed that UK Amaray BD cases smell slightly sweet if they've been shrink-wrapped. I'm guessing it's whatever they use to dye them blue.

Project A-Ko is housed in one of those cheap **** cases that emit a chemical smell so worryingly pungent that I wouldn't dare go to sleep without the window open.

But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who takes the time to appreciate (or not) the aroma of physical media cases. Maybe I'll start a blog!

Princess Mononoke,
Spirited Away,
Q.I entire first series,
Mortal Kombat dvd

A friend at work was selling his entire legendary DVD collection, everything being £1 to us, maybe I'll see what else I can get tomorrow :)

Durarara!! 3 finally from Beez. Despite the depressing delays I've been pleased with this release and look forward to finishing the series when my other half is available (he too deems it worth watching).

I like the aesthetically stark UK packaging more than the R1 designs, aside from the confusing hinge orientation. I hope that the delays didn't completely ruin the success of the experiment, as the prospect of more boutique sub-only speed releases for the UK - without taking hand-me-downs from other English-speaking countries I could import from myself anyway - is very exciting.

R

Beez's Durarara packaging is quality in both construction and design, if a little awkard in terms of dimensions. My problem was the lazy, lazy subtitling job, and that's not good enough - especially when you're charging for sub-only sets the same as (or a little more than) Manga and MVM are for bilingual sets containing a greater number of episodes. The only other DVDs I own with similar subtitle issues is the R3 release of Detroit Metal City.

The difference in series quality between DRRR and the average bilingual Manga/MVM release cancelled out the cost for me (that and I preordered very cheaply :)). Some more quality control in general wouldn't go amiss - industry wide in fact as missing/dodgy/typo-addled subtitles seem to be par for the course in anime. R3s can be forgiven for their (often amusing) blips but native English releases should be proofed better.

If you like dubs, I can see why it would be preferable to ditch for the R1 though, especially given the unfortunate delays we had this time. For me, Beez's German subs are potentially more useful (for showing to people) than an English dub ^^;

I hope the next time we get the jump on R1 it will go more smoothly so there's a real feeling of choice.

R

I was going to say that the price/episode count and dubs are not important to everyone and sometimes direct comparisons on those basis aren't terribly meaningful. But Beez's subtitle job for Durarara is without doubt the poorest I've seen since Manga's dubtitle days, and that brings other issues into sharper focus. The worst thing I can say about subtitles from other distributors is the occasional typo or example of awkward syntax.

(In case anyone isn't aware of the specific issue I have with Durarara's subtitles, I mentioned it here. Unfortunately it happened too often, with on-screen text suffering as well. That along with no song subs or translated credits left me with a rather poor impression overall.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back