What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

£5!?!.......since when do games these days cost that much. No games drop down that much in price anymore

Not many do, it's usually not a good sign of how good the game is though!

Some older ones can just by virtue of being old. I picked up Vermintide 2 on PC from CD keys last night for £2.20 for example. Super cheap, had fun playing it with some friends though.

I received a partial shipment yesterday from my latest order with Crunchyroll:

Sword Art Online Progressive Scherzo of Deep Night Limited Edition
Lady Georgie

saop2georgie.jpg

2024 HAUL - JANUARY CHAPTER: BATCH #4

Two more packages this week, one big one from last Thursday and a smaller one that arrived today.

The Discotek Media haul returns. This was supposed to have been sorted for December but the timeframe wouldn't have been possible due to the holiday season getting in the way with postal travel and the Black Friday offerings kept selling out which didn't help. But that was probably a good thing because a few weeks later a massive batch of discontinued releases was announced after they had updated their official website's catalog list.

Honestly this was a pretty lucky haul in general, as it was also the first time I made use of Crunchyroll's Store. My intention for using forwarding services in general was because of situations like this, so not only am I able to order individual releases if needed be at ease, it means I can consolidate and save the shipping for later. This was four different orders combined into one big box; three from Crunchyroll's Store and the other from The Otaku Market on eBay as the former had sold out on one title.

One notable change when using the Stackry service was the mention of the Harmonised System. I used the GOV UK site to make sure each one was identified correctly (DVD, there's no record for Blu-ray but they're one and the same pretty much) and it went through customs and Evri's service as per normal. The box that Stackry used also had no mention of custom notes either like before.

DiscotekHaul11-01.jpg

07-Ghost (Released by Discotek in November 2019)
Adapted by Studio Deen in 2009 and directed by Yoshihiro Takamoto. When I was originally sorting out my Black Friday haul, this josei series was going to be part of that batch, but discovering that it's discontinuing meant that I should order it sooner than later. I know the manga has been released in English but I'm surprised there's no dub for this. I suppose if it had aired nowadays it would have gotten one. Either way, neat to own this series.

Brave 10 (Released by Discotek in February 2021)
Adapted by TMS Entertainment in 2012 and directed by Kiyoko Sayama. This is a historical fantasy series that was once released by NIS America and considering TMS were involved it was inevitable that Discotek would end up with it at some point. This is also another series that will be discontinued as well, but much like 07-Ghost this one also had my interest.

DiscotekHaul11-02.jpg

Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier (Released by Discotek in June 2019)
Adapted by studios Japan Vistec & Studio OX in 2001 and directed by Jun Kawagoe. One of many adaptations on the Cyborg 009 franchise but this one I've only heard about ever since Discotek first mentioned chasing up the masters to get the best release possible. I recall this aired on TV for a lot of fans and while I never watched it back then, I figured now was a good time to pick it up given the length it took for the MediaOCD team to sort it out (by which I mean there's probably not much time left before it discontinues). With my previous experience on the series being the 009 Re:Cyborg film I'm intrigued to see how this one is.

EAT-MAN & EAT-MAN '98 (Released by Discotek in June 2018)
Adapted by Studio Deen in 1997 & 1998 and directed by Koichi Mashimo ('97 series) and Toshifumi Kawase ('98 series). Two 90s sci-fi shows that I had only heard about thanks to Discotek and it was one of their first SD-BD releases. It sold out pretty much immediately so this was the only one that I had to order via eBay to secure a copy and thankfully it came pretty much like new and sealed.

DiscotekHaul11-03.jpg

Elemental Gelade (Released by Discotek in December 2018)
Adapted by studio Xebec in 2005 and directed by Shigeru Ueda. Another 00s series that you may have heard if you started getting into anime and DVDs. In fact this one in particular was released in the UK by MVM Entertainment but as I want to own releases in their correct pace (i.e. NTSC instead of PAL) I would have waited for an upgrade and Discotek went with the SD-BD approach for this series. I wasn't sure about owning it at first but knowing Xebec is involved helped increase my interest. This must have sold well as it's now received the curved slipcase treatment!

Honey and Clover (Released by Discotek in March 2020)
Adapted by studio J.C.Staff in 2005 and directed by Ken'ichi Kasai. This series was on my radar after watching March comes in like a Lion which was by the same author. I'm really surprised that Anime Limited never managed to get their hands on the series but I suppose it's too niche for them. Originally licensed by Viz and then rescued by Discotek, but unfortunately it's being discontinued so at least I managed to get them when it was revealed. I suppose there's some stock around given it was reprinted to use the curved slipcase.

Honey and Clover II (Released by Discotek in April 2020)
Adapted by studio J.C.Staff in 2006 and directed by Tatsuyuki Nagai. It made sense for myself to also pick up the second season as well since it's both seasons getting discontinued. Apparently Viz have released the manga so that's interesting to know.

DiscotekHaul11-04.jpg

Marmalade Boy (Released by Discotek in September 2018)
Adapted by studio Toei Animation in 1992 and directed by Akinori Yabe. This is probably the biggest inclusion of the collection because we have a classic 90s shoujo series which wasn't cheap! I'm very much happy to own this one as I've heard about it for years especially given it was a Tokyopop release first before Discotek picked it up for DVD then SD-BD. Toei titles tend to stick around from what I've seen but given it's also one of the earlier SD-BD releases I have decided to order it sooner than later.

She and Her Cat -Everything Flows- (Released by Discotek in May 2020)
Adapted by studio Liden Films in 2016 and directed by Kazuya Sakamoto. It's a new take on the classic Makoto Shinkai story but this time featuring Kana Hanazawa voicing the main lead and Xenoblade's Shulk VA voicing the cat. A four episode mini series that Crunchyroll also licensed the rights for with Discotek sub-licensing it for the home video side of things. There's also an English dub included, but regardless it is getting discontinued which was inevitable considering it's a Crunchyroll series at the end of the day.

Tetsujin 28 (Released by Discotek in September 2018)
Adapted by Palm Studio in 2004 and directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa. This franchise I feel is an oddity because of its visual presentation, but it's gotten a following over the years and this 2004 adaptation even received a UK release by Manga Entertainment. With the film discontinuing I decided to secure that as well as this series that's somewhat related to it together. I do plan to get the other instalments at a later point so that I have a complete Tetsujin haul. This SD-BD release also includes the English dub that was made at the time.

DiscotekHaul11-05.jpg

Tetsujin 28: Morning Moon of Midday (Released by Discotek in January 2019)
Adapted by Palm Studio in 2007 and directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa. This theatrical film is very similar to how Sunrise handled the Escaflowne film in which you have the same cast as the TV series but with a different storyline and direction altogether. Whether it's good or bad I don't know but it's in HD at least. The film is discontinuing unfortunately but I was able to order it before it sold out.

Tokyo Underground (Released by Discotek in May 2018)
Adapted by Studio Pierrot in 2002 and directed by Hayato Date. Much like Elemental Gelade we have another series that was rescued by Discotek Media and was presented in SD-BD format instead. Manga Entertainment released this in the UK but always neat to get an upgrade even if its not in HD.

Tomorrow's Joe the Movie (Released by Discotek in March 2018)
Adapted by studio Mushi Productions in 1980 and directed by Yōichirō Fukuda. This is a compilation film of the original Ashita no Joe series that Osamu Dezaki directed in the 1970s and it's another classic that I am happy to own finally. Like 07-Ghost this film was originally planned to be part of my Black Friday haul with its second film but stock issues occured. I'm surprised Discotek have no plans to re-release this film on Blu-ray only format but it was time for me to get the film secured before it was too late.

So there we have it. Our first 13 Discotek titles for the start of the year. I do want to be more motivated and get a lot of these older releases picked up sooner than later because I hate the feeling of missing out before I left it too late. For the next batch I would like to get my hands on the entirety of the Kyo Kara Maoh franchise if I can as well as Reborn! especially now that Discotek have no plans to re-release this or anything when they revealed that Special Disc set. While I went for a bi-monthly approach last year I think I may tweak it this time so that one month is a big batch and another month is a smaller batch to keep the Discotek haul going because if I stick to the usual approach it's not going to get myself in the best position, especially as Discotek is adding more titles each month.

KungFuCultMaster-05.jpg
EurekaEntJanhaul1.jpg

Arriving today is The Man of the Roof (Mannen på taket), a 1976 Swedish film by director Bo Widerberg. This joins my World Cinema collection that I have been building with the Radiance label and this particular version is actually out of print. So to provide some context, last Wednesday Radiance Films revealed they had found some stock left for a few discontinued releases and I was able to secure this film. This film wasn't on my radar initially until I watched some reviews and checked out the trailer.

I did attempt to add other items on the basket but the system wouldn't let me at the time, but I suppose it was for the best as scalpers likely ate the other stock - which disappointed a lot of fans who were looking for Welcome to the Dollhouse or Messiah of Evil. Even though this wasn't the plan, I have an opportunity to go for a complete World Cinema collection with Radiance on their limited edition slate but I have yet to make a decision on that. By World Cinema collection that's all of their non-English releases i.e. Italian, French, German, Swedish, Polish, Spanish etc. I am dedicated to getting their Italian cinema and any non-English limited edition box sets but the rest is up in the air (The Man of the Roof was easy as its got an interesting premise and was the only Swedish film in the label).

Can't recommend Inside the Tentacle Cave. It contains non consensual sex.
Very unpleasant.

Please go home is as sweet as ever.

Attachments

• 17063887915616569210271833652942.jpg
    17063887915616569210271833652942.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 17063888077944447268188135202219.jpg
    17063888077944447268188135202219.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 17063888214407968171554610048066.jpg
    17063888214407968171554610048066.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 4
Anyone else considering (or indeed already on) the S24 Ultra train?

Came with some freebies. My first phone swap in a while, went from S10+ to this, so skipped over the S20, S21, S22, and S23! :oops:

View attachment 32509
I saw this one but am happily going strong with my note 10 plus that I got on its release and absolutely love it, refusing to change it much to my wife's chagrin. Were you not tempted by the flip or the fold phones?

Last edited:
I say this one but am happily going strong with my note 10 plus that I got on its release and absolutely love it, refusing to change it much to my wife's chagrin. Were you not tempted by the flip or the fold phones?

I was also still happy with my S10+ but there was two reasons I made the swap.

One was that the S10+ (and presumably your Note 10+) is EOL so it gets no more Android updates anymore, this includes security fixes. As I do things like internet banking on my phone, I wanted to make sure I was still getting updates.

The other was that the deal I got was pretty good. I purchased directly from Samsung, the phone was £820 which was reduced down by £190 in trade in value from my S10+. I sold the 12 month disney+ code I got with it for £40, and the watch I'm selling to Envirofone for £150.

This makes the total cost £630. For a flagship phone I think that is pretty decent! I hope it can last me another 4 years, if not more. I don't tend to swap often. I wasn't interested in the more experimental models at this time, I don't use my phone for anything too crazy.

This makes the total cost £630. For a flagship phone I think that is pretty decent!
That is bloody unheard of - nicely done! Even the original price is pretty low from the trajectory of flagship phone prices from when I got mine.

One was that the S10+ (and presumably your Note 10+) is EOL so it gets no more Android updates anymore, this includes security fixes. As I do things like internet banking on my phone, I wanted to make sure I was still getting updates.
Ah, that is a bit concerning and I didn't realize that. I thought I had an update on it a few months back but I'd be quite worried about security regarding internet banking as well if that were the case. Need to look into that now but would be very, very sad if I had to update the best phone I've ever owned whilst the hardware is still going strong including the battery!

Edit: ah b****r, you are correct indeed. Ah man I am very sad now... I love this sodding phone😢

Last edited:
Yep so on the back of it being a great deal and the other things I mentioned it was worth it for sure.

I don't think I'd have felt quite the same if I was paying the RRP though as that was around double my price.

See this link about the updates:

You'll be OK I think for a bit longer, but I don't think I'd extend the life of your current one too far, I'd recommend changing it in about a year or so maybe to avoid getting too far behind.

Back