What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

November Haul #4

My holiday trip almost caused issues with parcels as they were originally going to arrive while I was away, but the Royal Mail postal strikes delayed them (which is great because one arrived on the day that I came back, but disappointing because the rest got delayed to next week so that's frustrating). That said, the other challenge was FedEx which I was able to change the delivery date but they took the approach of leaving my package on the doorstep so that was also pretty lucky for me to receive it not long after as the weather was decent enough.

Anywho, for this haul we have two parcels covering one from Anime Limited and another from Rightstuf.

AUHv3Peh.jpg

Mns5KNPh.jpg

mU4Kr1qh.jpg

First up we have Violet Evergarden the Movie, from Anime Limited in their collector's edition 4K Ultra HD & Blu-ray packaging. Not yet seen the film but it's a pretty nice deluxe package despite the lack of on-disc bonus features. You can view more photos & specs on my blog.

Now we have the D-D-D-DISCOTEK MEDIA haul!

So, the original plan was to focus on a small batch which I've ordered through United Publications, and that is on its way, but postal strikes have unfortunately delayed its arrival (it also didn't help that UP1 took a week longer than usual to get it shipped out).

Then the Rightstuf weekly sale focused on Discotek started which they normally do before each Black Friday/Holiday sale, and while their titles do appear in those sales they tend to be 'one day only' offers which are pointless for non-US folk due to high postage costs.

Anyway, I reviewed the line-up and noticed that if I order in a pretty high batch, I'll actually save money for once as it ends up being cheaper than United Publications, but I guess the currency exchange rate and UP1's current high costs made this logic possible. The cost of the haul was pretty high (no real surprise there) at about $377.80 (£320, which by the way at today's rate it would be £313 lol), but that's still about £30-40 cheaper than UP1 when I did the math.

jJpDkeXh.jpg

This haul features 11 Discotek Blu-rays from Rightstuf and is focused on two factors - a few readily available anime that are video game adaptations from the 90s, and the rest are older releases that needed to be picked up (most are over 5 years old which I consider to be in the amber zone of stock status).

xwZpib3h.jpg

Lirom5ph.jpg

a4H3yLhh.jpg

wfPdwXRh.jpg
rPGo6KJh.jpg

ND4aMd4h.jpg

Z081VCSh.jpg
PARrH19h.jpg

h9DOH3oh.jpg

2uBKBUoh.jpg

Babel II, 1992 OVA series from J.C. Staff and director Yoshihisa Matsumoto. Character designs reminded me of Saint Seiya (turns out they worked on the anime) but since it's an older Discotek release I picked it up.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, 2005-07 OVA series from Hal Film Maker and director Tsutomu Mizushima. Wanted to check out this randomly violent series for a while and here we are.

Tenjho Tenge, 2004 series from Madhouse and director Toshifumi Kawase. I own the manga for this series (which I have yet to properly read) but wanted to own the anime as well which Discotek put out on Blu-ray a few years back.

KXq6dHvh.jpg

UM7AsC5h.jpg

L6hxn3Ah.jpg

z67soY7h.jpg
L8UVfWkh.jpg

S8EsJerh.jpg

yNRxWJ1h.jpg
JNuHZImh.jpg

70IYE8yh.jpg

kjXOHW4h.jpg
IU2Bkzih.jpg

dYlo8vRh.jpg

XZ2oS0uh.jpg

Darkstalkers OVA Collection, also known as Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge, 1997 OVA series from Madhouse and director Masashi Ikeda. Classic 90s Capcom anime and also a recent Discotek release since it got a Blu-ray upgrade.

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture, 1994 film from Studio Comet and director Masami Ōbari. Classic 90s SNK anime. This was released after the two OVAs in Japan but got the Blu-ray treatment fairly early on by Discotek.

Fatal Fury: The OVA Collection, covering 1992's Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf by Hiroshi Fukutomi, and 1993's Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle by Kazuhiro Furuhashi, both by Studio Comet and NAS. These OVAs got the Blu-ray treatment fairly recently by Discotek as well.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, 1994 anime film by Group TAC and director Gisaburō Sugii. Another 90s Capcom anime classic. This definitive release has all versions possible which is better than the KAZE UK Blu-ray that came first.

36AAqfah.jpg

Nsv6qlWh.jpg

nVO8gYsh.jpg

VpEzfB0h.jpg
ptGZ8oLh.jpg

DLT8377h.jpg

fAbCeVKh.jpg
59v9gpZh.jpg

Mtq2qHbh.jpg

HlufYD4h.jpg
CElnagjh.jpg

xGWQ2nch.jpg

PUI0uofh.jpg

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret, 2008 series from Diomedéa (Studio Barcelona) and director Munenori Nawa. A niche series that I've spotted on Crunchyroll before Discotek eventually picked it up but wanted to check it out as it's been on Blu-ray for 5 years now.

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret: Purezza, 2009 series from Diomedéa (Studio Barcelona) and director Munenori Nawa. The second season to the series, can't get one without the other!

Sister Princess, 2001 series from Zexcs and directors Kiyotaka Ohata & Ikuji Inada. Older anime + harem + Discotek = yes. This one I could have sworn was on Crunchyroll before Discotek picked it up but either way early 2000s anime on Blu-ray is neat.

Sister Princess: RePure, 2002 series from Zexcs and director Tsubame Shimodaya. The second season to the harem anime series. Much like Haruka Nogizaka, gotta have all of it before it discontinues.

And for an added bonus, here's my Discotek Media collection now at a total of 51 Blu-rays. Here's a before & after comparison of the collection, featuring Taiga Kagami slowly getting crushed.

owdf5aoh.jpg

BAuoFsxh.jpg
Discotek release timeline:
2016:
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie​
2017:
  • Actually I Am...
  • Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth
  • Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture
  • Goshogun: The Time Etranger (OOP)
  • Yowamushi Pedal: The Movie (OOP)
2018:
  • All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
  • Babel II
  • Blue Seed
  • Devilman OVA Collection
  • Goshogun (OOP)
  • Haruka Nogizaka's Secret
  • Haruka Nogizaka's Secret Purezza
  • Sister Princess
  • Sister Princess Re Pure
  • Space Warrior Baldios (OOP)
  • Space Warrior Baldios the Movie (OOP)
  • Star Ocean EX
  • Tenjho Tenge
  • Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
2019:
  • Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
  • New Cutey Honey
  • Nutcracker Fantasy
  • Sorcerer Hunters
  • Yowamushi Pedal
  • Yowamushi Pedal Re:RIDE & Re:ROAD
  • Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road
2020:
  • Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan
  • Crusher Joe
  • Crusher Joe the Movie
  • Demon City Shinjuku
  • Devilman Lady
  • New Getter Robo
  • NG Knight Lamune & 40
  • VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire
  • Wicked City
2021:
  • Dear Brother
  • Fatal Fury: The OVA Collection
  • Memories
  • Saint Seiya Movies Collection
  • Submarine Super 99
  • Super Dimension Century Orguss
  • Urusei Yatsura: Only You
2022:
  • Aho-Girl
  • Darkstalkers OVA Collection (Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge)
  • Holmes of Kyoto
  • Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos
  • Ninja Robots Tobikage
  • The Princess and the Pilot
  • To Be Hero & To Be Heroine
  • Violence Jack

Last edited:
November Haul #4

My holiday trip almost caused issues with parcels as they were originally going to arrive while I was away, but the Royal Mail postal strikes delayed them (which is great because one arrived on the day that I came back, but disappointing because the rest got delayed to next week so that's frustrating). That said, the other challenge was FedEx which I was able to change the delivery date but they took the approach of leaving my package on the doorstep so that was also pretty lucky for me to receive it not long after as the weather was decent enough.

Anywho, for this haul we have two parcels covering one from Anime Limited and another from Rightstuf.

AUHv3Peh.jpg

Mns5KNPh.jpg

mU4Kr1qh.jpg

First up we have Violet Evergarden the Movie, from Anime Limited in their collector's edition 4K Ultra HD & Blu-ray packaging. Not yet seen the film but it's a pretty nice deluxe package despite the lack of on-disc bonus features. You can view more photos & specs on my blog.

Now we have the D-D-D-DISCOTEK MEDIA haul!

So, the original plan was to focus on a small batch which I've ordered through United Publications, and that is on its way, but postal strikes have unfortunately delayed its arrival (it also didn't help that UP1 took a week longer than usual to get it shipped out).

Then the Rightstuf weekly sale focused on Discotek started which they normally do before each Black Friday/Holiday sale, and while their titles do appear in those sales they tend to be 'one day only' offers which are pointless for non-US folk due to high postage costs.

Anyway, I reviewed the line-up and noticed that if I order in a pretty high batch, I'll actually save money for once as it ends up being cheaper than United Publications, but I guess the currency exchange rate and UP1's current high costs made this logic possible. The cost of the haul was pretty high (no real surprise there) at about $377.80 (£320, which by the way at today's rate it would be £313 lol), but that's still about £30-40 cheaper than UP1 when I did the math.

jJpDkeXh.jpg

This haul features 11 Discotek Blu-rays from Rightstuf and is focused on two factors - a few readily available anime that are video game adaptations from the 90s, and the rest are older releases that needed to be picked up (most are over 5 years old which I consider to be in the amber zone of stock status).

xwZpib3h.jpg

Lirom5ph.jpg

a4H3yLhh.jpg

wfPdwXRh.jpg
rPGo6KJh.jpg

ND4aMd4h.jpg

Z081VCSh.jpg
PARrH19h.jpg

h9DOH3oh.jpg

2uBKBUoh.jpg

Babel II, 1992 OVA series from J.C. Staff and director Yoshihisa Matsumoto. Character designs reminded me of Saint Seiya (turns out they worked on the anime) but since it's an older Discotek release I picked it up.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, 2005-07 OVA series from Hal Film Maker and director Tsutomu Mizushima. Wanted to check out this randomly violent series for a while and here we are.

Tenjho Tenge, 2004 series from Madhouse and director Toshifumi Kawase. I own the manga for this series (which I have yet to properly read) but wanted to own the anime as well which Discotek put out on Blu-ray a few years back.

KXq6dHvh.jpg

UM7AsC5h.jpg

L6hxn3Ah.jpg

z67soY7h.jpg
L8UVfWkh.jpg

S8EsJerh.jpg

yNRxWJ1h.jpg
JNuHZImh.jpg

70IYE8yh.jpg

kjXOHW4h.jpg
IU2Bkzih.jpg

dYlo8vRh.jpg

XZ2oS0uh.jpg

Darkstalkers OVA Collection, also known as Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge, 1997 OVA series from Madhouse and director Masashi Ikeda. Classic 90s Capcom anime and also a recent Discotek release since it got a Blu-ray upgrade.

Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture, 1994 film from Studio Comet and director Masami Ōbari. Classic 90s SNK anime. This was released after the two OVAs in Japan but got the Blu-ray treatment fairly early on by Discotek.

Fatal Fury: The OVA Collection, covering 1992's Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf by Hiroshi Fukutomi, and 1993's Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle by Kazuhiro Furuhashi, both by Studio Comet and NAS. These OVAs got the Blu-ray treatment fairly recently by Discotek as well.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, 1994 anime film by Group TAC and director Gisaburō Sugii. Another 90s Capcom anime classic. This definitive release has all versions possible which is better than the KAZE UK Blu-ray that came first.

36AAqfah.jpg

Nsv6qlWh.jpg

nVO8gYsh.jpg

VpEzfB0h.jpg
ptGZ8oLh.jpg

DLT8377h.jpg

fAbCeVKh.jpg
59v9gpZh.jpg

Mtq2qHbh.jpg

HlufYD4h.jpg
CElnagjh.jpg

xGWQ2nch.jpg

PUI0uofh.jpg

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret, 2008 series from Diomedéa (Studio Barcelona) and director Munenori Nawa. A niche series that I've spotted on Crunchyroll before Discotek eventually picked it up but wanted to check it out as it's been on Blu-ray for 5 years now.

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret: Purezza, 2009 series from Diomedéa (Studio Barcelona) and director Munenori Nawa. The second season to the series, can't get one without the other!

Sister Princess, 2001 series from Zexcs and directors Kiyotaka Ohata & Ikuji Inada. Older anime + harem + Discotek = yes. This one I could have sworn was on Crunchyroll before Discotek picked it up but either way early 2000s anime on Blu-ray is neat.

Sister Princess: RePure, 2002 series from Zexcs and director Tsubame Shimodaya. The second season to the harem anime series. Much like Haruka Nogizaka, gotta have all of it before it discontinues.

And for an added bonus, here's my Discotek Media collection now at a total of 51 Blu-rays. Here's a before & after comparison of the collection, featuring Taiga Kagami slowly getting crushed.

owdf5aoh.jpg

BAuoFsxh.jpg

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan was one of the first anime I ever saw, remember coming across it randomly on YouTube and being enamoured at how outrageous it was, this and High School of the Dead definitely sent me down this dark path I'm at today, being an anime fan 😂 didn't realise it had a BD release, I'll have to get on that.

I received these four Aniplex of America box sets today, from the first few hours of Rightstuf's Black Friday Week Sale:

March Comes in Like a Lion Volume 1
March Comes in Like a Lion Volume 2
March Comes in Like a Lion Volume 3
March Comes in Like a Lion Volume 4

Volume 4 became "No Longer Available" just a few hours after I placed my order. 😮‍💨

4marchlion.jpg

Last edited:
GAME
UKNEWS

20221127_181519.jpg
20221127_180341.jpg
20221127_181300.jpg
20221127_183238.jpg

Really didn't think I'd be able to complete the Xenoblade set when Nintendo started pulling off really, very stupid stuff for pre-orders.

All in all, one of my favorite recent series and really the kind of game I dreamt about as a kid - basically playable (good) anime. Bless Takahashi and Monolith. Hope we'll get X on switch, eventually.

730 pages of full-sized, full-color artwork across 3 books - insane and the treatment this series deserves.

Got good prices on the PS5 games.

Callisto Protocol coming up next!

I just started Xenoblade 3 and i'm hoping that by the time i manage to finish it, some of the issues with this game have been fixed, but i doubt it. It's still going to be my next project.

Pokemon.jpeg

I'll swear this is the last video game related book (for now) To those that don't know, the author of this book has a youtube channel (MattBarton) where you can find a ton of great interviews with famous video game developers (mainly WRPG related) and i highly recommend checking them out. This should be great companion book for the JRPG one and i'been meaning to buy this for a long time. It's pricy though.

matt.jpeg

I just started Xenoblade 3 and i'm hoping that by the time i manage to finish it, some of the issues with this game have been fixed, but i doubt it. It's still going to be my next project.

View attachment 27164

I'll swear this is the last video game related book (for now) To those that don't know, the author of this book has a youtube channel (MattBarton) where you can find a ton of great interviews with famous video game developers (mainly WRPG related) and i highly recommend checking them out. This should be great companion book for the JRPG one and i'been meaning to buy this for a long time. It's pricy though.

View attachment 27165

Yeah, I've seen the odd bug montage for Pokémon and it's really, really bad. Not the stuff I'm used to expect from Nintendo (I know, they published the devil's third but still).

On the other hand, you're in for an amazing ride with Xenoblade - enjoy. The presentation in that game is so great. Weird for such an anime series, I enjoy playing it with English VA (bar 2 and Torna).

View attachment 27164

View attachment 27165
Gotta say I've been playing Pokemon Violet for about 20-25hrs and yeah the framerate is crap and the textures are PS2 but I've not had a single bug like the compilations on twitter/youtube.
Asked the other friends playing it currently and they're the same 🤷‍♂️ not to say they're aren't bugs! They just don't seem to be to the extent as say CP2077 or the new Battlefield.

Also wouldn't hold out much hope of a drastic patch, the problems are more to do with Gamefreak essentially being a portable/mobile developer asked to do a AAA open world game and still only having the same 200 person dev team that's made all the other gsmes.
I'm loving Violet even though it looks dated but the only way they'll do a proper, good looking, open world is to co-develop with someone like Monolith 🤷‍♂️

Back