What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

There's some Finnish on the two other VHS front covers so I guess they're all from Finland šŸ™‚

There's a site that list's all Finnish released anime VHS tape's (not very long list) and FOTNS isn't one of them. These are all from Finnish seller which is why i'm leaning towards FOTNS being Swedish release.

You guys still have a ways to go yet to catch up to my anime viewing on a 120" projection screen in my theater room - but I guess 71" and 77" are acceptable... šŸ¤” ;)

Although, the colors on a projection screen don't pop like they do on an OLED screen, so there's that... so, very much enjoy your setups - I'm jealous of both of you! šŸ‘

I'm still using my very first HD TV upstairs, which is hanging on the wall in my living room. It's still going strong since I bought it in 2007 - a first-generation 1080p 52" Sharp Aquos that weighs 175 lb (80 Kg) and cost me over $2,500, at the time, so I haven't been able to even upgrade to 4K yet in my house... šŸ˜ 

Last edited:
You're gonna need 16k blu-ray discs on that thing to not look like you're watching 240p!
I do feel a bit like having a 27ā€ 4k monitor has ruined me forever with its pixel density.

You guys still have a ways to go yet to catch up to my anime viewing on a 120" projection screen in my theater room
Damn it, if my house was only a little wider... 100" is the most I can manage.

shrug unless you're planning on hosting viewing parties then getting bigger and bigger screens feels kinda pointless, as you need to sit further and further away to see the entire picture comfortably. Therefore the actual size as you move further away reduces based on your perspective.

@ayase on the one hand, the size... But on the other, it must look razor sharp
I'm not sure I would want a bigger monitor, considering I'm only sat about 50cm away from it most of the time (and there's a 22" vertically mounted 1080p panel next to it, both folded towards me like a circadian rhythm ruining blue light sun-bed). Lounging back on my sofa is what the 100" projector screen is for.

shrug unless you're planning on hosting viewing parties then getting bigger and bigger screens feels kinda pointless, as you need to sit further and further away to see the entire picture comfortably. Therefore the actual size as you move further away reduces based on your perspective.

The recommended viewing distance is at a 1.5:1 ratio - with the seating distance 1.5 times the width of the screen. In my theater room, the sofa is between 8 and 9 feet away from the screen, and the screen itself is 9 feet wide, so we're sitting at just under a 1:1 viewing ratio, which is what I prefer. I like the screen to fill your field of viewing a bit more than normal. The second row of seating in my theater is at the normal 1.5:1 ratio.

theaterfront.jpg

The recommended viewing distance is at a 1.5:1 ratio - with the seating distance 1.5 times the width of the screen. In my theater room, the sofa is between 8 and 9 feet away from the screen, and the screen itself is 9 feet wide, so we're sitting at just under a 1:1 viewing ratio, which is what I prefer. I like the screen to fill your field of viewing a bit more than normal. The second row of seating in my theater is at the normal 1.5:1 ratio.

theaterfront.jpg

That's an amazing setup šŸ¤©

theaterfront.jpg

You got a killer setup. As someone researching speakers (and utterly confused by still) for a basic 5.1 living room setup I appreciate those massive things lol.

That's an amazing setup šŸ¤©
Sorry to get so far off topic, so this will be the last - more photos of my theater room here if you're interested., scroll down on the home page...

The FreyMAX 3D Theater

I haven't updated the site in almost 2 years though, and some of the photos are from as far back as 2012 - actually pre-anime collection! The media shelves with movie Blu-rays and DVDs on them are now totally full of anime, along with four other shelf units of anime!

Those old Cerwin Vega speakers you see in the photos that I am using for my fronts are leftovers from my Vintage Stereo collecting days - my rear speakers are older floor-standing Infinity speakers. Both pair are from the early 1980's.

Last edited:
So, one of the corners on my Rokujouma Collectorā€™s Box 1 arrived painfully damaged last week. Emailed jnovelclub last Friday asking about the possibility of a replacement slipcase, had an email the following morning with a tracking number. Today, it turned up, and they opted to just ship an immaculate sealed Collectorā€™s Box 1 with books in. 4KG shipped to the UK. I have to say, I am very impressed with the customer service, but I feel bad as it was only really the slipcase I needed.
C9028DFA-20D2-4BBA-80D5-4BE7E3F1CD41.jpeg

I normally only post anime stuff here, but once in a blue moon something bigger and more exciting arrives, a thing to watch anime on!

Wall mounting being done on Friday, so it' just chilling in the box until then sadly {{{(>_<)}}}

OOCtP0C.jpg
That is a beautiful work of art, gorgeous, vivid colours! Though there's something blocking the bottom....

Oooh and NICE TV too! I'm not jealous, no sir, not jealous at all heh.

theaterfront.jpg

Right now I'm starting to feel inadequate...

You guys still have a ways to go yet to catch up to my anime viewing on a 120" projection screen in my theater room - but I guess 71" and 77" are acceptable... šŸ¤” ;)

I thoroughly looked at a PJ setup but there were a few reasons I didn't want to go ahead with one:
  • PJ's actually cost more than that OLED do for a really good quality 4K/HDR one.
  • Unless you can make the room dark, PJ will be washed out in the daytime, sadly I have a set of wide patio doors and two largeish windows in the room, impossible to get it dark enough to properly use PJ in the day, especially in the summer. OLED also has some negatives in the day (reflective!) but I think it's a bit less finnicky than a PJ.
  • To take best advantage of a PJ you really want to treat the room, so dark grey paint everywhere etc.
  • The PJ screen would change all my cable runs quite drastically, so would need to re-think all of my cabling needs.
In the future I am considering if I could add a one story extension between my kitchen and my lounge, and effectively turn it into a sort of cinema room, properly get it designed for it, but said extension would not be cheap by any stretch.

This is probably the best compromise, biggest screen I can squeeze into the room :)

P.S. I'd truly love a nice PJ setup like yours though looks great!

OK, so I lied, had to post a response to Lordhippos post:
I thoroughly looked at a PJ setup but there were a few reasons I didn't want to go ahead with one:
  • Unless you can make the room dark, PJ will be washed out in the daytime, sadly I have a set of wide patio doors and two largeish windows in the room, impossible to get it dark enough to properly use PJ in the day, especially in the summer.
  • To take best advantage of a PJ you really want to treat the room, so dark grey paint everywhere etc.
Fortunately my basement theater room has no windows to the outside, so it is completely light controlled, pitch black when the lights are off, any time of day or night.

Also, I added one nice feature after the posted photos were taken, which really improves my projection area in regards to a darkening treatment for higher contrast viewing - I replaced the white drop ceiling tiles with these black sound-dampening tiles, I also added black egg-crate diffusers to the overhead lights, so the light only shines straight down. With the black diffusers I can actually watch video on the screen with the lights on, without washing it out too much, if I really needed to.

ceiling.jpg

At the risk of de-railing further, this will be my last post on the matter :)

A basement is an absolutely perfect PJ room. Dark āœ… Helps deaden sound āœ… Otherwise not used much āœ…

In the UK basements are really uncommon, I am lucky enough to have a detached house (which is also somewhat uncommon but helps as I can have bigger speakers) but I only ever really see basements on commercial properties in my area, residential houses really don't have them here.

If I had one like yours I would definitely make it into a dedicated cinema space like you have here!

Great projector setup is unrivalled really.

Back