What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

They probably just forgot, their graphic designer has off days and just copy pastes the US release (please see my pics of Fire Force šŸ˜‚)
It's intentional, more and more Manga Ent. sets will just use the Funi logo on the packaging. My guess is to speed up the pace with the approvals process considering that is one of the issues as to why these releases have been taking ages.

It's intentional, more and more Manga Ent. sets will just use the Funi logo on the packaging. My guess is to speed up the pace with the approvals process considering that is one of the issues as to why these releases have been taking ages.
This is more than likely the case because it's become an increasing issue that the tech info on the back of the box is wrong. The DanMachi movie and Hunter x Hunter set 1 have the wrong audio format listed. TrueHD is what it says on the case but it's DTS-HD MA in the case of DanMachi (also doesn't even list the Japanese audio, just "English 5.1") and PCM for HxH. There's a few others where I've noticed the same thing.

I think there's more going on. For example, their PR department is now using a Funimation email, as does the address they supplied for people to contact about Akira replacement discs. A company logo is symbolically too much of a big thing, but logically too small a thing, to really warrant cutting out to streamline approvals. My money, is on the Manga UK name being phased out soon.

CX0xxS2h.jpg

Today's arrival is The Weird and Wonderful World of Ujicha from Third Window Films in a first print edition Blu-ray package. This is a collection of Japanese anime films under a different artstyle known as Gekimation, which is essentially a unique take on the stop-motion concept by hand-drawing characters, items, props and more and present them as if they're basically stick-men in a way. Director Ujicha spent around 5 years working on Violence Voyager alone and I look forward to the insanity that it gives.

The collection covers the 2018 film Violence Voyager, starring Aoi Yuuki and Daisuke Ono, the 2013 film The Burning Buddha Man, starring Yuka Iguchi, and three short films; Tempura, Space Yokai War, and The Retneprac 2. If you like bizarre and unique Japanese films then I do recommend giving this collection a shot. This release also includes a director's commentary for Violence Voyager, storyboards and interviews, so for Ā£20 it's pretty good value.

Third Window Films always go for rather niche or recent films from Japan so they're a distributor worth supporting in the UK scene. I still need to pick up their releases of Yoshihiro Nakamura's Fish Story, Katsuhito Ishii's The Taste of Tea, Shinya Tsukamoto's Gemini and Seiji Tanaka's Melancholic that were released in the past few months.

You can view more photos below of the set:
qlwN2vOh.jpg

fuPXVRGh.jpg

E8hdAbOh.jpg

8Yh03I3h.jpg

uUBSytJh.jpg

Back