What did you learn today?

Godot said:
I kinda get why. So we can see how theories have developed etc. But, I don't see how an essay question asking us to explain "The biological explanation of Schizophrenia" is really the right way of testing it- because essentially you're explaining something using an argument that has massive flaws. On the other hand, "Explain the flaws and merits of the Biological explanation" for fewer marks, would test we know it, and allow for more marks to allocated to things that are actually right.
We done this type of stuff in sociology - you really have to remove yourself from everything you are writing and literally copy down facts to do with different theories. "I'll write you this essay on Marxism ... but communism did in fact collapse after all." We had to learn all types of points of view, be they borderline racist, incredibly flawed or sometimes well-thought out but the world has changed since. Psychology seems a bit different though, but I think it has the same amount of "copy this theorists ideas and contrast him with this other one" ********.

I didn't really "learn" anything though. Nachos wake when falling asleep. Maybe.

the 1996 employments act, and the "duty of good faith" from section 17 of the marines act.

Although its a marines act it affects lands aswell (if you didn't know this then look at pirate radio) in a nutshell.... employer owes a duty of trust to the employee, if the employer continually criticises the employee it would be a breach of the good faith act. can result in court cases..... basically i'm looking into these laws because a person at work, whos husband is ill, is venting her frustration at me during the day. anymore of it and i'll file complaints. the employment act also helps on this but i needed that mainly to find out the 2 month date a perm contract is legally meant to be with the employee by. as that 2 months period expires tomorrow i've been on the phone to the old trust to find out that they haven't even typed it up yet.

had a great weekend. get back to work and surrounded by imcompetent ********s.

Such is life.

Godot said:
memorium said:
Godot said:
I learnt that revising the Schizophrenia topic in Psychology is balls.

At the end of every explanation, the book basically says "But this is wrong". It feels pointless to learn.
Maybe the book is bluffin' yo muffin and it's actually right

Lol, trust me - you can tell it's not right. Some of these theories are balls, lol.
That does remind me of the numerous mistakes AQA seem to put in their Biology textbooks

Anyway, I learnt today that some chord shapes are so bloody retarded it's not even worth doing them, like the barred shape for a major 9th

Jayme said:
…but I think it has the same amount of "copy this theorists ideas and contrast him with this other one" ********.
One has the suspicion that the standard state tuition for essay-based subjects could easily be augmented by emulating the practices found within tertiary education.
It is not implausible that school-level students could be assessed by receiving an essay title and a selection of suggested peer-reviewed articles taken from academic literature, and thus answering the former by applying their own self-acquired understanding of the latter (along with their knowledge of the auxiliary content taught in lessons, et cetera).

One fears that arts and humanities subjects within state schools are taught in such a way as to reduce diversity amongst the answers provided by students. Uniformity is achieved by setting standard "compare and contrast" questions, whereby the same information is expected to be regurgitated by all successful students. Jumping through these hoops can only impede the flair with which capable students express themselves, whereas being introduced to the formalities, writing styles and debates found within academia itself stands to nurture it greatly.

Such an alternative is unrealistic, alas. The pressure upon examination markers to assess vast numbers of scripts, conjoined with the costs of article subscriptions and the requirements imposed upon teaching methodologies to benefit the less able, prevent the merits of a university-style assessment system from improving the essays of the ordinary school pupil.

memorium said:
That does remind me of the numerous mistakes AQA seem to put in their Biology textbooks

Coincidentally this exam is AQA :p I know the WJEC spec. is just as bad though.

Now to crack on with revision before tommorow... Dx

Learnt that it could be easier to just give up and become redundant, go get a job working somewhere back in luton..... might actually work out better in the long run, but i need a job to walk into rather than sitting in the job centre like every other schmuck ¬__¬

bastards in HR....

Godot said:
memorium said:

Coincidentally this exam is AQA :p I know the WJEC spec. is just as bad though.

Now to crack on with revision before tommorow... Dx
AQA have some pretty horrid exams in my opinion, they teach you all this intelligent stuff and then they expect what I call redneck answers in the exam, so I had to spend several weeks just learning their mark schemes in order to optimise my mark

memorium said:
AQA have some pretty horrid exams in my opinion, they teach you all this intelligent stuff and then they expect what I call redneck answers in the exam, so I had to spend several weeks just learning their mark schemes in order to optimise my mark

See I find that they just ask ridiculously specific stuff. Stuff that in one case only has one paragraph in my textbook - but is alloted 5 marks in the exam!

OT:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/eve ... 1349830095

Is anyone on AUKN taking this challenge? lol

I remember this in school last year, all the ledz were going on about it like it was some big thing when they totally were all smashing one out anyway.

I_see_what_you_did_there_cat_RE_More_funnies_for_you_all-s480x360-106842.jpg

i need a new one too. family keep stealing all the signal so its weaker trying to get to my room.

oh and i've learnt that my money is flowing faster than a bloody waterfall, be lucky to hold out the last 2 weeks till payday again.

play.com don't want to make money.

I recently ordered 1 copy of Spaghetti Westerns Blu-ray Collection (3 Discs) (Blu-ray) in their sale at £9.99 (RRP £44.99).

On Saturday I received 2 copies - 1 in a white padded envelope and 1 in a cardboard box.

I checked my card statement online on Sunday and it looks like I have only been charged once.

Back