What did you BUY today?

I've pretty much given up all hope of getting a PS5 in the first half of this year, maybe not even this year at all! So I opted to finally get a new record player and speakers instead.

The turntable I went with is a JAM Vinyl Bluetooth Turntable Record Player (or the Spun Out according to the JAM website) which also has a PC connection option, so I can back up some stuff that I'll be buying that isn't available anywhere else (stuff like the Wicked City and Demon City soundtracks). For speakers I went with the same brand, JAM Book Shelf Bluetooth Speakers, simply because I needed a set of speakers because the turntable doesn't have any built in. Hopefully it's a decent set!

I've pretty much given up all hope of getting a PS5 in the first half of this year, maybe not even this year at all! So I opted to finally get a new record player and speakers instead.

The turntable I went with is a JAM Vinyl Bluetooth Turntable Record Player (or the Spun Out according to the JAM website) which also has a PC connection option, so I can back up some stuff that I'll be buying that isn't available anywhere else (stuff like the Wicked City and Demon City soundtracks). For speakers I went with the same brand, JAM Book Shelf Bluetooth Speakers, simply because I needed a set of speakers because the turntable doesn't have any built in. Hopefully it's a decent set!
Yeah I was planning to pick up a PS5 when I could but instead I am opting to save up for the 4k tv first. I am aiming for a good one.

Yeah I was planning to pick up a PS5 when I could but instead I am opting to save up for the 4k tv first. I am aiming for a good one.
I upgraded to a new 4K TV around New Year, not through choice as my previous one (which was also 4K) just up and died on me. So, in a strange twist of fate I've ended up with a better screen with Dolby Vision and Atmos in prep for PS5 but sadly, haven't been able to get my hands one lol

I upgraded to a new 4K TV around New Year, not through choice as my previous one (which was also 4K) just up and died on me. So, in a strange twist of fate I've ended up with a better screen with Dolby Vision and Atmos in prep for PS5 but sadly, haven't been able to get my hands one lol
Ah nice that sounds good. My end goal is to have a nice entertainment center with 5.1 speakers eventually. Though due to the high costs of making such a thing it's going to be done in stages and I'm debating on getting a cheap sound bar as a placeholder.

Ah nice that sounds good. My end goal is to have a nice entertainment center with 5.1 speakers eventually. Though due to the high costs of making such a thing it's going to be done in stages and I'm debating on getting a cheap sound bar as a placeholder.
I wish I could get a 5.1 set up but don't have the best room for one. A soundbar is something I've always considered and the new Roku one looks quite convenient (tho not pircewise lol) but I don't even know where to start with them 😅

I wish I could get a 5.1 set up but don't have the best room for one. A soundbar is something I've always considered and the new Roku one looks quite convenient (tho not pircewise lol) but I don't even know where to start with them 😅
Yamaha soundbars are a good compromise between price and quality.
If you go for a Yamaha, look for one that has Univolume, which is their name for dynamic compression. It does a great job of taming the stupid dynamic range of most Hollywood blu-rays. Combine that with the Clear Voice setting, and you have what I like to call Christopher Nolan Mode.

It depends on how much you want to spend on the soundbar I guess. At minimum you will want HDMI input on the soundbar (and the more ports the better if you want to plug consoles etc into it). Everything after that is down to you.

My end goal is to have a nice entertainment center with 5.1 speakers eventually. Though due to the high costs of making such a thing it's going to be done in stages and I'm debating on getting a cheap sound bar as a placeholder.
Building a 5.1 setup in stages is the way to go. You'll get way more out of a solid 2.1 (or even 2.0) setup compared to a "cheap" 5.1 setup. And while expensive, speakers can really last long and don't really become obsolete.

Building a 5.1 setup in stages is the way to go. You'll get way more out of a solid 2.1 (or even 2.0) setup compared to a "cheap" 5.1 setup. And while expensive, speakers can really last long and don't really become obsolete.
That's good to hear thanks. I've been doing research on where to begin so I understand I need a reciever first and formost. By time I save up for all this I hope to have a better understanding on what I should look for.

So over the weekend and today I was in the mood for more video games and decided to pick up not one but six more for my collection. I made my choices based on their prices, their stock status, age of release and popularity. All six games are for the PlayStation 4.

Gal*Gun 2
The infamous "what if these swimsuit anime girls want to date you except if they confess you die" game released back in 2018. This game has actually gone for cheap for such a long time and the moment I decide to pick it up is when the game starts to go up in price a lot. My luck is really bad with this franchise ironically, from having to spend ages looking for the first game's Japanese copy and ask for disc replacement when the pre-load kept breaking, to receiving the Vita version instead of the PS4 version for Double Peace. This game was ordered from Offer Games who were the last retailer to price the game for regular price before increasing it after my copy dispatched.

Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate
The video game based on the DanMachi anime and novel franchise released in 2020 for the west. I am still surprised that this game was localised and released for the west considering anime games don't usually get this sort of treatment unless it was a shonen. The game dropped in price earlier in the year and I figured I would take advantage of the offer before it jumps back up. This game was ordered from Base.

Kandagawa_Jet_Girls_1.gif

Kandagawa Jet Girls
From the creator of Senran Kagura, this is a jet ski racing game with anime waifu girls released in 2020. Now, this is an interesting one because Marvelous Europe decided to release the game digital only for Europe, while XSEED provided a rather nice launch edition. I was going to buy this early on but pricing and international shipping restrictions prevented that. Recently I discovered that it was actually possible to order the game on Amazon UK in a way that you are basically ordering from Amazon US without actually ordering it directly. Before folks ask, yes the price specified VAT was included and was cheaper than other retailers. This is expected to arrive in March due to the shipping speed.

Langrisser I & II
Known back in the 90s as Warsong, Langrisser was remade for the current generation and released in the west in 2020. The gameplay and being a retro game interested me for some time and annoyingly it was with NIS America so that meant an expensive and tedious venture. Fortunately-ish, the game did drop in price on the NIS Europe store for £29.99 and since I had a £5 discount code I decided to grab the game now before it disappears like Utawarerumono did.

Nights of Azure 2
So a few years ago I bought Nights of Azure and I have yet to start it (I know lol). Saying that though, the game's artstyle and combat intrigued me and considering how bad my luck is when it comes to the mentality of "I should play the first game before buying the sequel" I decided to once again play it safe and grab the sequel immediately on Base because it was actually pretty cheap for a new copy. And when you consider the fact that it was released back in 2017 you forget that it will probably sell out sooner than you think.

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
Released very recently is the latest Ys game in the franchise. I have been looking forward to owning this game for a while, and while I very rarely pick up games at launch I decided to make this one an exception because it is published by NIS America. For those who don't remember, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana was a game that had been in trainwreck of a state in terms of stock availability for years and while it did receive a standard edition, it was just a nightmare to get a hold of. You could argue this may not happen again, but I am not convinced the physical release will last long when you look at the other games released by the publisher (and the rise in digital nowadays).

Ys IX was expensive (£40 at Base), but I don't expect to spend that much on other games for a while (maybe NieR Replicant but it depends on the funding I get later).

Nights of Azure 2
I decided to once again play it safe and grab the sequel immediately on Base because it was actually pretty cheap for a new copy. And when you consider the fact that it was released back in 2017 you forget that it will probably sell out sooner than you think.
Ys IX was expensive (£40 at Base), but I don't expect to spend that much on other games for a while (maybe NieR Replicant but it depends on the funding I get later).
Gust games go out of print ridiculously fast, so I can't fault you there. Atelier Lulua is already out of print, and that was 2019. Hell, even Ryza (also 2019) seems to have just gone out of print, and that was the biggest seller in the series to date.

I fear you're going to look back on the days of £40 games wistfully in a few years, since we're entering a generation where the starting price is £70. 😱

Gust games go out of print ridiculously fast, so I can't fault you there. Atelier Lulua is already out of print, and that was 2019. Hell, even Ryza (also 2019) seems to have just gone out of print, and that was the biggest seller in the series to date.

I fear you're going to look back on the days of £40 games wistfully in a few years, since we're entering a generation where the starting price is £70. 😱
Yeah the age of physical media is going to be very different from here on.

With Atelier though, I'm honestly quite chill considering Koei likes to re-release them via their "DX" updated releases, sure those would mainly be digital only but in Asia they might have physical releases with English support.

The turntable I went with is a JAM Vinyl Bluetooth Turntable Record Player (or the Spun Out according to the JAM website) which also has a PC connection option Hopefully it's a decent set!
I would advise not getting that as it's pretty much the same as all those cheap suitcase record players since it uses the same stylus that has issues with skipping on certain records (mostly bass heavy records, and it isn't a 2000's records issue as I've had two 90's 7" singles skip).

If you want a decent turntable, anything with a audio technica AT3600L stylus (except the GPO PR50 or anything in that range from them as the tone arm counterweight is to heavy for the stylus) would be a good starting point and you don't really need a USB connection since if it has a built in pre-amp you can connect directly through the line in.

I would advise not getting that as it's pretty much the same as all those cheap suitcase record players since it uses the same stylus that has issues with skipping on certain records (mostly bass heavy records, and it isn't a 2000's records issue as I've had two 90's 7" singles skip).

If you want a decent turntable, anything with a audio technica AT3600L stylus (except the GPO PR50 or anything in that range from them as the tone arm counterweight is to heavy for the stylus) would be a good starting point and you don't really need a USB connection since if it has a built in pre-amp you can connect directly through the line in.
It already arrived today (same day delivery with where I order from) and works fine on all the records I’ve tried today, so I’m happy with what I got.

Got myself the following -

Dragon Ball Z Dragon Box Vol.2, Gunbuster vs Diebuster movies on Blu Ray, Tensura Pt2 Limited Edition, Kimagure Orange Road andMonster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Also got Demon Slayer Pt.1 for my brothers birthday.

or a projcet debut carbon dc £299 from amazon uk.

Back