What are you listening to Now thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1M8vei3L0L8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1M8vei3L0L8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Currently listening to a lot of the old def jux stuff.

Cannibal ox
Aesop rock
El-p
Company flow

To keep it el-p related, also the new-ish Killer Mile album.

^ All good stuff.

Well to keep the trend going

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2ed5osQYvU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2ed5osQYvU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0oM_9ca8hxE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0oM_9ca8hxE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Can't seem to stop listening to the Nephilim atm. It feels like the only music I want to hear - I put something else on and am almost immediately dissatisfied with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't so taken with Zoon. Not that it's a bad album, it's just not up there with the earlier ones that, well, weren't Carl McCoy solo albums...

Nephilim discussion? I AM SO IN.

I was listening to For Her Light the other day. Now that is a cracking tune, perhaps my favourite of theirs, and Elizium is one of the most under-appreciated albums ever (most likely because the Neph aren't quite cool enough for the indie kids).

As for Zoon, to say I was taken aback when I first heard it would be an understatement (this was before I delved into metal). It doesn't compare favourably to Carl's FotN work--he's a bit like Morrissey in that he had an amazing band of musicians behind him and isn't as good without them-- but nonetheless it's a solid record with the sheer force of a speeding juggernaut.

I've been listening to a band I've loved for years but have ignored recently. Ah, sweet depression. Lyric translation plz, Teonzo :p

ayase said:
I wasn't so taken with Zoon. Not that it's a bad album, it's just not up there with the earlier ones that, well, weren't Carl McCoy solo albums...

Eh, I had the opposite tastes. I listened to some Fields' albums when I was a metaleban, so I ended up liking only Zoon for obvious reasons. But it was more than 10 years ago, my tastes broadened quite a bit, so I should try again the Fields.

If you like depressing stuff then try Sopor Æternus.

Teo

fabricatedlunatic said:
I've been listening to a band I've loved for years but have ignored recently. Ah, sweet depression. Lyric translation plz, Teonzo :p

Canaan is one of the Italian bands I respect more. Mauro is a great guy, really smart and open to discussion, we had different views and tastes but it was always a pleasure to exchange some words with him. His label (Eibon Records) is/was devoted to total quality. Too bad I lost contact with him and what he's done in the last years. He gave me a promo of "A Calling To Weakness" to give for free to someone, I don't remember if I gave it away or not (most probably yes), if I still have it here then I can send it to you.

Here is the translation:

-------------------------------------

When the world
stops to breathe
the pure air of the evening
with the first snow
melting
under the sun
you breathe
the morning quiet

Roots in barren land
immobile clouds
in skies that never die
hooks amidst books' pages
read and then left
left to get old
in the attic
in the attic of the heart

When the world
keeps still
to breath
the calm of the evening
a man who can't
make more noise
walks
in the calm
of an afternoon
of an autumn afternoon
in the void
of a winter night

Roots in barren land
immobile clouds
in skies that never die
hooks amidst books' pages
read and then left
left to get old
in the attic of the heart

-------------------------------------

Out of curiosity I just tried the google translator, surprisingly it made an almost perfect job.

Have you ever tried listening to 55:12 by Gregor Samsa?

Teo

teonzo said:
Canaan is one of the Italian bands I respect more. Mauro is a great guy, really smart and open to discussion, we had different views and tastes but it was always a pleasure to exchange some words with him. His label (Eibon Records) is/was devoted to total quality. Too bad I lost contact with him and what he's done in the last years. He gave me a promo of "A Calling To Weakness" to give for free to someone, I don't remember if I gave it away or not (most probably yes), if I still have it here then I can send it to you.

Here is the translation:
Thank you so much! I only asked jokingly and didn't expect you'd actually go to the trouble. The lyrics are beautiful.

And I'm surprised you know Canaan, because nobody seems to know Canaan. I exchanged some words with Mauro myself when I ordered the second Neronoia CD from Eibon a few years back, and you're right, he's a really nice guy. I was stunned when he emailed me because I have so much respect for the band; no other music reflects what I feel inside the way Canaan (and Neronoia) does. EDIT: this interview with Mauro ca. "Brand New Babylon" was fascinating to me. I'd love to see a roundtable discussion between him, ayase, and vash...

I have the first five Canaan albums on CD, including A Calling to Weakness, so I'm good. But thanks a lot for the offer!

Have you ever tried listening to 55:12 by Gregor Samsa?
No, but I'll be sure to do so.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Thank you so much! I only asked jokingly and didn't expect you'd actually go to the trouble. The lyrics are beautiful.

You are welcome. If you want other translations of their lyrics then feel free to ask.

fabricatedlunatic said:
And I'm surprised you know Canaan, because nobody seems to know Canaan.

They are pretty underground, I suppose Mauro has some inner conflicts about this. On one side he never tried to be "commercial" (trying to promote himself outside a determinate fandom), on the other side he always blamed the p2ps for the scarce sales. He is one of the best guys when you contact him (totally down to earth, available and reliable), but he should have put more energies into trying to reach more potential fans. But that would be an artistical (and I suppose emotional) contradiction, since his band focuses on being cryptic. It's just like a snake biting his tail: his art needs solitude, his business needs the contrary. If you search for him then he's there. If you don't know him, it's almost impossible he will try to reach you. Best way to keep artistic integrity. Not best way to sell stuff.
I got to know Canaan thanks to a friend of mine who is a fan of them, but at that time I could not stand music with that kind of vibes. I noticed some hard to find CDs on his mailorder so I bought them, exchanged some words and kept in contact. After some time one of the guys that helped me managing a metal web-magazine asked a couple of promos to Eibon Records and Mauro was kind enough to send all his stuff (including the non metal) plus various freebies. After that I lost sight on his band and his label.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I exchanged some words with Mauro myself when I ordered the second Neronoia CD from Eibon a few years back, and you're right, he's a really nice guy. I was stunned when he emailed me because I have so much respect for the band; no other music reflects what I feel inside the way Canaan (and Neronoia) does.

That's always nice to see when someone finds some music that's really touching.

I'm quite out of the music scene now, so I'm not updated and my memory starts to fade a bit. But I remember some other quality bands from the Italian underground that you could like:
Klimt 1918
Room With A View
Act Noir

fabricatedlunatic said:
EDIT: this interview with Mauro ca. "Brand New Babylon" was fascinating to me.

Nice read, thanks for the link. This is one of the reasons why I said he is a great guy: he is one of the few musicians that ALWAYS give well-thought and in-depth answers.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'd love to see a roundtable discussion between him, ayase, and vash...

If we close them in a room for a good amount of consecutive hours, then I see it ending in 2 possible ways:
- Ayase gets brainwashed by Vash's positivity and becomes a Hello Kitty fan;
- Vash' positivity reaches its limit, forcing him to commit suicide just to avoid to continue the debate.
I don't see Mauro being touched that much by anything that could happen.
I'd pay the ticket to hear them debating at the initial hours and watch how things would develop after that. If trolling from outside would be admitted then I would pay even more.

Teo

Haha, am I really that positive!? I haven't been feeling so positive the last couple days, but it's true any sadness I feel usually doesn't last very long before I manage to brainwash myself out of it.

I did read this once the board came back online, but wasn't entirely sure how to react. I think the thing people should understand about me is that I'm somewhat... unpredictable. A round table discussion involving me could go down in so many ways I don't know that odds on it's outcome could even be determined (especially if you liquored me up beforehand). I can have the same discussion with someone two days in a row and end it laughing and joking one day, and threatening to rip out and devour their heart the next.

Not that I don't like it this way, it ensures that the only people who stick around are the few actually able to cope with me, which is a pretty good selection process for acquaintances. On that note, an opportunity presents itself to keep the thread on topic:

Streets of Fire - Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young

This song apparently inspired Bubblegum Crisis 'Konya wa Hurricane' and Priss. My favourite bit is at 3:33, it's so 80's and dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back