What are you listening to Now thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Megadeth track dropped today. It sounds pretty decent. I'm not hugely familiar with Megadeth past Youthinasia but I've heard a couple of tracks off of their most recent albums but they all just seem decent. Obviously it would be unfair to expect a masterpiece like Rust in Peace with every album but I do wish they'd put something out that's at least a little catchy. Songs on albums like Rust and Symphony had really killer hooks where as I only listed to this song five minutes ago and I've already forgotten what most of it sounds like.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDOIT is one of a few Dream Theater albums I've never really listened to that much (aside from The Glass Prison). I don't really know why but I've always kind of just stuck to a handful of albums. Anyway this morning I decided to listen to the title track seeing as it's one of DT's longest songs. I really enjoyed it (Aside from Goodnight Kiss, too slow for my liking) but I feel like About to Crash and it's reprise are the highlights. I just like how immediately catchy it is and also has a kick ass solo. I also like how the song is reflective of it's subject matter, bipolar disorder, by going from upbeat and happy sounding to dark/sad and then back again to being upbeat with it's reprise. Will definitely be making it's way into my regular rotation I think. Will definitely have to give the rest of the album a listen at some point.

Rather than listing another song, I figured I'll talk about the bands I've listed to for the last year or so. Progressive Rock/Metal is my favourite genre in music. One of the best parts about it is the length of the songs and the couple minutes of build-up in certain songs. If the YouTube videos get hit by copyright, they're all available on Spotify for free.

Mastodon
Although not 100% classified as Progressive, a lot of their songs are pretty much progressive. This metal band have changed their tone across each album - they went from growling with their first album to a more lighter tone on the later albums and it works surprisingly.

[spoilerbutton]The Czar - Crack the Skye
Diamond In The Witch House - Once More 'Round The Sun
Sleeping Giant - Blood Mountain
The Sparrow - The Hunter
[/spoilerbutton]

Pink Floyd
My Dad is a huge fan of this band so I already had access to most of the Pink Floyd albums. Granted I didn't listen to them much until recently but still you can't deny how good many of their songs are. Current ones I've been listening to now (not including Shine On You Crazy Diamond, since I already mentioned it here) are:

[spoilerbutton]Comfortably Numb - The Wall
Hey You - The Wall
Money - The Dark Side of the Moon
Time - The Dark Side of the Moon
[/spoilerbutton]

Rush
Rush was one of the first progressive rock bands I've heard and a lot of their songs are still fun to listen to. Thankfully a lot of their most notable songs are on Rock Band.

[spoilerbutton]2112 - 2112
Clockwork Angels - Clockwork Angels
Red Barchetta - Moving Pictures
The Trees - Hemispheres
[/spoilerbutton]

Tool
One of my favourite bands in general. This is progressive metal (and don't worry there's no growling) and their music is rather dark but artistic. Unfortunately there was a legal embargo so they haven't brought out anything new in a while.

[spoilerbutton]Forty Six and Two - Ænima
Lateralus - Lateralus
Schism - Lateralus
Wings for Marie/10,000 Days - 10,000 Days

[/spoilerbutton]

Yes
Yes is a band I first discovered through Rock Band 3, and after that I've been rather amused by their Fragile album (though most of the tracks are pretty much filler). Heck Roundabout was also the closing theme song for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's 2012 adaptation because the creator loves the track.

[spoilerbutton]Heart of the Sunrise - Fragile
Owner of a Lonely Heart - 90125
Roundabout - Fragile
Starship Troopers - The Yes Album
[/spoilerbutton]

I'm aware of Dream Theater, but I don't have sufficient knowledge of their songs to include them in this list.

Not sure if you're looking for suggestions or not but in terms of Dream Theater you certainly can't go wrong with Scenes from a Memory as a starting point. It's easily their best album (in my opinion anyway) and there isn't a bad track on the album. I'd recommend listening to the album in one sitting as it's a concept album and a lot of the songs flow together. After you've listened to it once, read up the story of the album then listen to it again. It puts the album in a whole new light once you know the context of the lyrics and stuff. Probably my overall favourite album of all time. I'd also recommend Images and Words as that's also fantastic however it hasn't aged too well and some of the songs have a bit of 90s cheese on them. That aside, stuff like Pull Me Under, Take the Time, Under a Glass Moon, Metropolis Part 1 and Learning To Live still sound fantastic.

Decided to have a small nostalgia trip this morning. Scream Aim Fire is an album I haven't listened to in years but it will always have a special place in my heart as it's the first metal album I bought and really BFMV was the first metal band I listened to. I thought the album wouldn't be as good as I remembered but it's still really great. I couldn't really get into any of their other albums, which is a shame, and although I don't listen to them much any more, this band really shaped my taste in music

So a track leaked off of the new Dream Theater album and I must say, I really like it. When DT do upbeat songs it can be a little hit or miss for me but I'm into this. Reminds me of About to Crash form SDOIT a bit. Of course, hearing a single track from a concept album without the context of the surrounding tracks isn't the best way to listen to it but this just makes me even more excited about the new album.

Got really into Blood Blockade Battlefront last few days and can't stop listening to the opening. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back