Watched Ocean Waves for the first time and liked it. Why do so many feel the opposite?

Yes, I noticed his list is quite opposite of mine, too - had to chuckle at the disparaging placement of Marnie between our two lists... :eek: :D

Nausicaa was always my top favorite Ghibli masterpiece, until Marnie came along. I just love the story. Marnie is now the first Ghibli movie I show to anyone new to Ghibli. I do really like Yonebayashi's work, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Mary and the Witches Flower.

Have you ever read the book? I was contemplating picking it up for someone for Xmas.

Here's your mission, should you choose to except it:
Watch all the Ghibli films in 2018 and report back here when you're finished.

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds!

;)

If they were streaming somewhere, maybe, but that'd be an expensive mission. Plus, for some weird reason, I prefer my anime short form. I've had BD copies of several films, including Your Name and Anthem of the Heart, for months now, and I just can't find the motivation to watch them.

If they were streaming somewhere, maybe, but that'd be an expensive mission.
Yeah, it was a much easier mission when they were all on Film 4. I only started buying the collection when they weren't on last Christmas. I think the only I didn't see on that channel was Spirited Away which I rented from Blockbusters. Fireflies (and Cagliostro) are the only ones available on Amazon video. They all used to be on Sky Store, but not anymore :(

Plus, for some weird reason, I prefer my anime short form. I've had BD copies of several films, including Your Name and Anthem of the Heart, for months now, and I just can't find the motivation to watch them.
Until recently most of the anime I had watched were films. It takes a lot of time to watch say a 26 episode season as opposed to a 1.5 to 2hrs film.

Until recently most of the anime I had watched were films. It takes a lot of time to watch say a 26 episode season as opposed to a 1.5 to 2hrs film.

True, but it's more split up. I'd rather watch 2 hours worth of anime over a day than in one sitting. Not sure if I have an abysmal attention span, but I get easily distracted when trying to do one thing for too long.

lets be honest here the only Ghibli films worth watching/owning are

Howls moving castle,
spirited away,
princess mononoke,
Valley of the wind,
Laputa

Have you ever read the book? I was contemplating picking it up for someone for Xmas.

I actually had the book in my Amazon shopping cart once or twice, but never pulled the trigger on it. Maybe I'll get it for myself for Christmas - if I can afford it, lol - between the Black Friday sales at TRSI, Sentai, Funimation, and my regular imports from Amazon JP and UK, I've already spent close to a Grand for the month of November just on anime - and the RS Holiday sale hasn't even started!

True, but it's more split up. I'd rather watch 2 hours worth of anime over a day than in one sitting. Not sure if I have an abysmal attention span, but I get easily distracted when trying to do one thing for too long.

When my mom and my next door neighbors come visit to watch an anime series, we usually do about 8 episodes in one sitting. But, when it's just my mom and I, she will often do 12-14 episodes straight through if she likes the series - she can easily wear me out anime-wise, and she's 75 years old, lol...

Last edited:
lets be honest here the only Ghibli films worth watching/owning are

Howls moving castle,
spirited away,
princess mononoke,
Valley of the wind,
Laputa
qq0pVet.gif

Everybody's different. I do love Nausicaä and Laputa but my favourites are the more down to earth Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart. Then again they've been too prolific recently so I'm about six films behind and my opinions may change (waiting for the BDs go on sale for like a tenner each, which they have to at some point).

I'm a bit like that but I can somehow binge watch episodes of things despite struggling through films. I watched the entire original berserk anime over 3 days recently.

I can sort them into broad categories, from Essential to Forgettable, but don't ask me to rank them any further than that. If I watch any film in the Essential list, I'll think it's the best Ghibli film ever, until I watch the next one. Just saw Only Yesterday yesterday and thought it was perfect...

Essential

My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Whisper of the Heart
When Marnie was There
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso

Great

Princess Mononoke
From Up on Poppy Hill

Good

Howls Moving Castle
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor's the Yamadas
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Cat Returns
Pom Poko
The Wind Rises
Tales from Earthsea
The Castle of Cagliostro
Ronja, the Robber’s Daughter

Forgettable

Little Norse Prince
Ponyo
The Secret World of Arrietty

Haven't Seen

Ocean Waves
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Edit. Forgot Cagliostro and Ronja

Last edited:
Various reaction:

I do know my number one though, even though it always seems to be down on other peoples lists, and that's Arriety
That was the one your daughter enjoyed, wasn't it? No wonder you've got a positive opinion of it! :)

it's amazing how many of this super popular brand just aren't all that great, that's not to say there's anything wrong with them, just a lot are fairly contemporary or suffer pacing issues.
I agree. You know, I've always found Cagliostro, Mononoke, Nausicaa and Laputa somehow really quite draining to watch. I've never been able to put my finger on why, though...

I do really like Yonebayashi's work
Personal opinion only, but Yonebayashi is easily my least-favourite Ghibli director. I find Arrietty rather stuffy and stilted and, for me, even Ghibli's always-impressive artwork is lacking in Marnie. There's also Marnie's lack of convincing characterisation.

Marnie: Let's be best friends!
Anna: Right. Okay.

Again, personal opinion only.

Lastly, if we're including Cagliostro, here's my modified list:
  1. The Wind Rises
  2. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  3. The Cat Returns
  4. Kiki's Delivery Service
  5. Porco Rosso
  6. Ponyo
  7. My Neighbours the Yamadas
  8. From Up On Poppy Hill
  9. Spirited Away
  10. Grave of the Fireflies
  11. Tales from Earthsea
  12. Howl's Moving Castle
  13. Only Yesterday
  14. My Neighbour Totoro
  15. The Castle of Cagliostro
  16. Pom Poko
  17. Princess Mononoke
  18. Whisper of the Heart
  19. Arrietty
  20. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  21. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
  22. Ocean Waves
  23. When Marnie Was There

I've always found Cagliostro, Mononoke, Nausicaa and Laputa somehow really quite draining to watch. I've never been able to put my finger on why, though...

I can't speak for all of them but I'm definitely with you on Mononoke. As much as I enjoy the film it really does drag and the pacing is pretty awful but remember Miyazaki "No cuts."

That was the one your daughter enjoyed, wasn't it? No wonder you've got a positive opinion of it! :)
Yep, that's the one. It'd still be my favourite regardless. I'm still trying to get her to watch Tororo with me but Frozen, Moana and the Smurfs movies keep getting in the way :)

My list...
  1. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
  2. My Neighbor Totoro
  3. The Castle of Cagliostro
I'm planning to watch more soon, I promise. :(

Back