US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
fabricatedlunatic said:
Cloud Strife said:
Not sure if you're adding NIS Titles but AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day Complete Series Premium Edition is region A/B despite the box saying Region A. Confirmed it this morning on the PS3
Huh, so it is. I never thought of trying it.

I never thought of trying Bunny Drop, either. Both of those discs play on my PS3, so that one's unlocked as well.

I tried all the NIS discs I have in my PS3.
Arakawa under the Bridge and Katanagatari v1 are locked
Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge and Usagi Drop are AB

I'm guessing that since they switched authoring methods before releasing Kimi ni Todake, their releases have been AB.
I can't confirm though, as I do not have Katanagatari v2 or any of the KnT releases.

Edit: DVDs are still locked to R1 in case anyone was wondering.

Titan said:
Does anyone know if the Fafner: Dead Aggressor Movie: Heaven and Earth is A/B?

I might be able to fit it in later this week if you can wait (I want to watch 'In The Mood For Love' Criterion blu-ray first before changing the region code on my player).

Mangaranga said:
I tried all the NIS discs I have in my PS3.
Arakawa under the Bridge and Katanagatari v1 are locked
Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge and Usagi Drop are AB

I'm guessing that since they switched authoring methods before releasing Kimi ni Todake, their releases have been AB.
I can't confirm though, as I do not have Katanagatari v2 or any of the KnT releases.
Kimi ni Todoke Premium Edition volumes 1-3 play in my PS3, as does Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up Premium Edition. However, my stand-alone player (Toshiba BDX3200) will not play either of these titles, or AnoHana, unless set to region A. I don't have any other players to test, so I don't know which is correct, but these are all NIS releases.

Can someone confirm if Usagi Drop/AnoHana are region free then? Will they play on the PS3? (Europe/UK PS3) If so that great news.

BDT87 said:
Can someone confirm if Usagi Drop/AnoHana are region free then? Will they play on the PS3? (Europe/UK PS3) If so that great news.

Yes to playing on a region B PS3, No for a standalone region B Bluray Player. (Tried on a BDX3200 set to Region B)
Someone needs to try this on other BD players so we can see if this is player specific.

EDIT: Just wondering, should Sentai titles not be added to this list as they can technically be played on any Region B Players.

Mangaranga said:
Yes to playing on a region B PS3, No for a standalone region B Bluray Player. (Tried on a BDX3200 set to Region B)
Someone needs to try this on other BD players so we can see if this is player specific.
I've now tried AnoHana, Kimi ni Todoke, and Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up on a PC with PowerDVD. They will only play if set to region A.

There appears to be something odd about the region locking for these releases. A UK PS3 (region B) will play them okay, but both PowerDVD and a Toshiba BDX3200 will display 'Sorry, this disc is authorized for play in REGION A only. It will not work in this Blu-ray player.' if set to anything other than region A.

Mangaranga said:
BDT87 said:

EDIT: Just wondering, should Sentai titles not be added to this list as they can technically be played on any Region B Players.

Spudman said:
Mangaranga said:
I've now tried AnoHana, Kimi ni Todoke, and Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up on a PC with PowerDVD. They will only play if set to region A.

There appears to be something odd about the region locking for these releases. A UK PS3 (region B) will play them okay, but both PowerDVD and a Toshiba BDX3200 will display 'Sorry, this disc is authorized for play in REGION A only. It will not work in this Blu-ray player.' if set to anything other than region A.

Wait wait wait...i'm confused now :p
Right so...you know these AnoHana and Usagi Drop releases by NIS America DVD+BluRay

Forget about the dvds at mo, just focus on the BluRays. This is why I asked the Question as I saw someone saying A/B and yes I do know for a fact they only say A on the cases as I have seen videos on yt
of these lovely sets.
So yes my UK PS3 - Region B
This CAN play those Blu-Rays?
If so.....OMG!!!!! :eek:

I think he meant "PowerDVD" as in the dvd/bluray software you use for PC

I've only got the PS3 to test out the discs unfortunately and my PC Bluray player is set to region A anyway

BDT87 said:
Wait wait wait...i'm confused now :p
Right so...you know these AnoHana and Usagi Drop releases by NIS America DVD+BluRay

Forget about the dvds at mo, just focus on the BluRays. This is why I asked the Question as I saw someone saying A/B and yes I do know for a fact they only say A on the cases as I have seen videos on yt
of these lovely sets.
So yes my UK PS3 - Region B
This CAN play those Blu-Rays?
If so.....OMG!!!!! :eek:

The PS3 CAN play the Blurays, but NOT the DVDs.
The discs aren't actually AB, they are A locked, they just seem to work on Region B PS3s for some reason.
Maybe it's something to do with how they lock the discs, like how Sentai discs can be played on Region B players by changing chapters at the lock screen due to them not locking the options.

Mangaranga said:
The PS3 CAN play the Blurays, but NOT the DVDs.
The discs aren't actually AB, they are A locked, they just seem to work on Region B PS3s for some reason.
Maybe it's something to do with how they lock the discs, like how Sentai discs can be played on Region B players by changing chapters at the lock screen due to them not locking the options.

Thats very weird. But with these everything works as normal right, don't have to fiddle around to much to make an episode work?

While on the subject, was it AnoHana or Usagi Drop that has been licensed to the UK. I know one of them has, can't remember which one.

Sorry my bad I was thinking of another series that HAS got licensed, which was: Kids on the Slope. Well I better save up and pick up AnoHana and Usagi Drop xD
Thanks for the help everyone!

Probably worth keeping in mind that the PS3 loophole could potentially be closed in a future firmware update. What models has this been tested on BTW?

Shiroi Hane said:
Probably worth keeping in mind that the PS3 loophole could potentially be closed in a future firmware update. What models has this been tested on BTW?
250GB Slim model here. Anyone have an idea why only PS3s are playing these region-locked discs?

Apparently Yu Yu Hakusho - season 1 did not work on my friends PS3 (slim).

And going back to AnoHana/Usagi Drop will they work on PS3 (phat) first release October 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back