US Region Free Blu-rays

Status
Not open for further replies.
megalomaniac said:
Just a minor thing but iirc wasn't the first run of Spice & Wolf season 1 region locked? So folks should probably be careful just incase.

Yes, but those discs along with the packaging were labeled as region A only.

Titan said:
megalomaniac said:
Just a minor thing but iirc wasn't the first run of Spice & Wolf season 1 region locked? So folks should probably be careful just incase.

So was season two as I recall, but that was never actually locked. What's printed on the box isn't necessarily a good indicator :)

megalomaniac said:
Titan said:
megalomaniac said:

So was season two as I recall, but that was never actually locked. What's printed on the box isn't necessarily a good indicator :)

Season 2 was labeled region A & B.

Link

Titan said:
Season 2 was labeled region A & B.

Link
Fair enough, point still stands though: What's on the box is not necessarily a good indicator of the actual region encoding and by your own admission season one was initially region locked.....which probably should be pointed out in the list to prevent people accidentally ending up with a region locked copy, you know instead of getting all defensive with the guy that pointed it out who was just trying to be helpful. :p

I'm fairly sure that no copies of Spice & Wolf S1 were region locked, even though the case and discs do (or did) state Region A. Someone here confirms that the release is A & B just a couple of days after the official release date of 31/08/11.

Where's alexrose1uk when we need him to clear up this mystery (ISTR it was him with a crazy number of copies of the series)?

R

Rui said:
Where's alexrose1uk when we need him to clear up this mystery (ISTR it was him with a crazy number of copies of the series)?

R
UKA is where my info about the initial run of series being locked comes from, specifically Hanners whose information I trust to be accurate (especially as he owns it). I have the double pack myself which is definitely region free.

Let me see if I can find the thread.......
Not the one I was looking for but here's one discussing it anyway http://www.uk-anime.net/forum/showthrea ... olf+region

Did he actually play the discs on Region B hardware, though, or was he going by the information on the packaging? That's not clear from the discussion.

The truth is out there...

True though Weirdo does say he ordered a region free drive for it, that would be a bit of daft without checking first I'd have thought.

Either way it's probably best to buy the double pack: Twice the spice, twice the wolf and no chance of region problems :D

Given it's been mentioned recently somewhere that Madman sometimes imports FUNimation discs as-is (since they don't need to have a ratings logo on the disc itself in Australia), that is probably a key factor in whether the discs include Region B, and also why this may change with later pressings.

I think that where FUNimation themselves owns Region B rights they will include it on the discs as a matter of course, but otherwise only if they are working with another company who does (e.g. the first two FMA:B discs).

Strange as back when it was first released I emailed Planetaxel confirming that Spice & Wolf Season 1 was region free,

Just to confirm that the following blu-rays are region free,

Spice And Wolf - Season One
Urotsukidoji - Legend Of The Overfiend - The Movie

I think the box was listed it as region A though.

megalomaniac said:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Soul Eater part 1? (Stated AB but was A)
I have a copy of S&W I pre-ordered back then and it's AB, despite saying A on the Box

Very much like the individual collections, in the Soul Eater Complete set, discs 1-3 are locked whilst 4-6 are AB
Un-Go and Heaven's Memo Pad can be played using this method.
Durarara!! is AB

Not sure if you're adding NIS Titles but AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day Complete Series Premium Edition is region A/B despite the box saying Region A. Confirmed it this morning on the PS3

Mangaranga said:
Very much like the individual collections, in the Soul Eater Complete set, discs 1-3 are locked whilst 4-6 are AB
Durarara!! is AB

Thanks for the confirmation, Mangaranga. :)

Cloud Strife said:
Not sure if you're adding NIS Titles but AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day Complete Series Premium Edition is region A/B despite the box saying Region A. Confirmed it this morning on the PS3

As long as the discs are region A/B I will add them to the list. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Mangaranga said:
Durarara!! is AB
Yeah, of course, the ****** half of Soul Eater is region free. That makes sense.

Cloud Strife said:
Huh, so it is. I never thought of trying it.

I never thought of trying Bunny Drop, either. Both of those discs play on my PS3, so that one's unlocked as well.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Cloud Strife said:
Huh, so it is. I never thought of trying it.

I never thought of trying Bunny Drop, either. Both of those discs play on my PS3, so that one's unlocked as well.

Added Bunny Drop to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back