URGENT!!! EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Tachi- said:
MrChom said:
Actually hard drives are divided into sectors, it's part of the fundamental nature of the File Access Table technology. If your hard drive wasn't in sectors then the likelihood is that every time you wanted a file your PC would have to read the whole drive to find it (like the old tape drives).

Incidentally it IS possible to nigh on brick a modern PC with an old DOS boot sector virus. Many of these viruses would simply put their code in the boot sector, and have a pointer to the end of the drive to get the real boot code...problem is that they were written with DOS in mind, and Windows XP writes data differently. Hence how a virus from the 80s managed to cripple my PC a while back. Easy enough to fix by formatting, but still a pain.

Anything talking about the zero sector of the disc is just fiddling with boot code, something Windows nowadays tries to prevent, and something that is USUALLY only possible by having a floppy disc/CD with a virus on in the machine at boot time. Like I said, not fatal....just one windows reinstall from a fix.

Chom, Have you completed the computer A+ course to learn that much about sectors?
Thinking about it i might write a batchfile to counteract the "virus" and send it round.
It states norton internet security is looking into ways to fix the virus. but a batch file could stop the virus from affecting the harddrive in the first place.

Haha, no, sadly my experience with the sectors/heads of a drive comes from my days with Windows 3.1 (watching the hard drive defrag in DOS was a great source of excitement, drives were slow enough you could see data being shifted around), a bad experience with the aforementioned "FORM" virus that was on a floppy disc from the 80s, and my Computing A-Level. Never took A+ cert as the guy teaching the courses said that with my background knowledge I should be able to get my head round the concepts anyway.

And, yes, common sense is the best solution to the alleged "postcard" virus. Like I said, the stuff quoted at the top of the thread is JUST close enough to reality to be believable but describes a kind of virus that has been going round since the early 90s. Keep your email client up to date, Windows patched, a virus scanner installed/updated, and always scan any executable you download from an un-trusted source. It's simple things, people, no need to counteract them, virus scanners have been dealing with this stuff for years.

For those of you without a virus scanner: http://free.avg.com/

It's not brilliant, it won't get 100% of everything, but it is free, it does update itself, and is fairly easy to manage. Like has been said, common sense deals with 95%+ of these problems.

Tachi could you explain your idea for a batch file anti virus for this e-mail?

Chom, would you be able to fix a boot sector virus by rewriting the MBR or would it be deeper?

Ein said:

Chom, would you be able to fix a boot sector virus by rewriting the MBR or would it be deeper?

Fixing a boot sector virus is dependent on the virus itself. I tried to fix my MBR with the windows repair, and system disc options when infected by FORM several years ago, and they both failed. I managed to do it in the end by installing a Linux bootloader which simply made the virus code unable to execute.

Basically....your mileage may vary. Sometimes a virus scan and heal is enough, other times an MBR fix is fine, and in some cases a good old-fashioned format is in order.

Ein said:

Afew of my tech buddies have wrote batchfiles to stop clients having access to certain files (fairly easy to write) but there's also "virus protection" batchfiles that have been written which 1 denies the virus from altering information and 2 gaining access to the registry list. you can also write into the same .bat that a text box should appear when a virus has tried to gain access to the registry/when the the .bat has been activated

there's also ways to write .bat files to bypass and similarly block access to the internet.

Ben, one of my best friends spent a while writing a .bat file that, once run on a computer, takes a note of the IP address. im not sure how far he's worked on it but i think he might be able to find a way to get the .bat file to run, note the IP and send it back to his machine over the internet therefore making remote access possible. *note, we aren't hackers, we use the remote accessing to fix computers for people*
the idea was that not everyone is computer literate it makes our lives easier if we don't have to talk them through start<run<cmd<ipconfig about 10 times because they dont get it.

As you might learn Ein....command prompts are good fun :p

Tachi- said:
Ein said:

They're more fun in Linux, where else would you be able to seriously use "Kill all" and "Shutdown NOW" as legitimate commands?

Then again I'm actually nerdy enough to sat there and played about with the damn OS...it's like a kit car... It's fun to build, looks great, goes a million miles an hour, is cheaper than getting a "proper" car but you never shake the feeling that bits of it are going to fall off.

Doberman Pharaoh said:
"If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. "

XD why? UH OH THE EMAIL IS HERE TURN OFF THE COMPUTER AND GET INTO THE VIRUS SHELTER!

Haha.

But seriously, an email can't do anything to you unless you either run an attachment of it, or open it (in the case of a HTML-based email) which contains a server-side script, like Javascript.

If you find a dodgy-looking email in your inbox, just delete it. Honestly, the people who are most susceptible to viruses are the ones who see "SexyPictures.exe" and double-click. Just daft, really.

MrChom said:
Tachi- said:
Ein said:

They're more fun in Linux, where else would you be able to seriously use "Kill all" and "Shutdown NOW" as legitimate commands?

Then again I'm actually nerdy enough to sat there and played about with the damn OS...it's like a kit car... It's fun to build, looks great, goes a million miles an hour, is cheaper than getting a "proper" car but you never shake the feeling that bits of it are going to fall off.

Haha! i've wanted to put linux on my computer at home but haven't really mastered dual OS on 1 system so don't want to accidentally screw up my windows OS

Tachi- said:
MrChom said:
Tachi- said:
Ein said:

Haha! i've wanted to put linux on my computer at home but haven't really mastered dual OS on 1 system so don't want to accidentally screw up my windows OS
The GP2X handheld runs linux...was a nice little thing :p and i used those Kill All commands quiet frequnetly when trying to meet the criteia that the ICA set.

Tachi- said:
MrChom said:
Tachi- said:
Ein said:

Get Damn Small Linux then. You can run Linux and Windows at the same time :D

Zen 2nd said:
Tachi- said:
MrChom said:
Tachi- said:
Ein said:

Get Damn Small Linux then. You can run Linux and Windows at the same time :D

If you want to experiment then Knoppix is your boy. Full featured DVD based OS, needs no install, runs off the disc, leaves windows 100% intact, and best of all tells you just how little you know about computing.

Tachi- said:
lol okay

btw in wikipedia typle in ps2 linux os

you'll be amazed

Eh?

They have linux on everything... I got linux, mac, and windows 98 to work on my psp. I also got linux on my ds. And, you can now get linux on the ps3.

Another Email floating round the office, just thought you guys should know,

"If someone called Laura Norris friend requests you, on Facebook, don't accept it because she's a hacker!!
Tell everyone on your list because if somebody on your list adds her she'll get them on your list she'll figure out Your IP computer address, so copy and paste this message to everyone even if you don't care for them and fast cause if she hacks their email she hacks your mail too!!!"

Im going to check this out and see if its 100% true. if it is, im back-hacking her.

Maltos said:
Yagami said:
They have linux on everything...
Find me a linux toaster then i'll believe you. [God i hope you can.]

Enjoy

I would defiantly recommend Dam Small Linux and Knoppix, with DSL you could install it on your flash drive and boot it up from there, you should also check out Ubuntu, with the nice friendly installer you can easily dual boot between Windows and Ubuntu.

Batch files are very handy things to play with, I would be interested in the batch file that collects the users external IP address. Does it work by talking to an external web server or something?

Ein said:
Maltos said:
Yagami said:
They have linux on everything...
Find me a linux toaster then i'll believe you. [God i hope you can.]

Enjoy

I would defiantly recommend Dam Small Linux and Knoppix, with DSL you could install it on your flash drive and boot it up from there, you should also check out Ubuntu, with the nice friendly installer you can easily dual boot between Windows and Ubuntu.

Batch files are very handy things to play with, I would be interested in the batch file that collects the users external IP address. Does it work by talking to an external web server or something?

Cheers for the heads up :)

And to your question. as far as i know he has it running a direct subliminal feedback to his email account. It has the same principle of a tracking cookie, relaying information back to another party.
When he's finished i'll take a look at it, add my own spin on it adn then test it on the facebook hacker i've heard of.
otherwise i'll just find a backdoor to hack her directly myself.

If you like writing batch files try to incorp some java scripts.

Sounds cool, do you mind if you send me a copy once it's done?

I mainly use batch files to check for network connectivity and routine stuff. I normally use Java or C/C++ for more "cooler" things lol, I'm a white hat. I mainly like PHP and MySQL but I love viruses, Trojans and bot nets.

Ein said:
Sounds cool, do you mind if you send me a copy once it's done?

I mainly use batch files to check for network connectivity and routine stuff. I normally use Java or C/C++ for more "cooler" things lol, I'm a white hat. I mainly like PHP and MySQL but I love viruses, Trojans and bot nets.

Yeah i'll ask him later,

If you want to purposely make a technician scream and scratch their heads till the hair falls out.....do what i did to the last hacker i met: after i obtained his IP address and remote connected to his laptop from mine, implanted a long winded batchfile that created 2 directories which where then hidden. and 2 folders which contained more batchfiles which ran all at the same time, all doing different things, from creating new user accounts with full admin rights, to running VBScripts creating annoying pop ups and opened a java game ben made, a clown game....the aim was to catch the clown and you get points....the game didn't stop the batch file from considerably slowing his system while leaving no blatant signs of its existance. it was just there to mock.
on the system we prooftested it on, the system was so slow that when you went to catch the clown it glitched and when the screen started to catch up, the clown was then in another place on the screen.

its funny. he never hacked anyone again.

Back