URGENT!!! EVERYONE PLEASE READ

Tachi- said:
Spyro201 said:
MrChom said:
ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
PC > Console
Seconded. Think of all the fantastic mods, and infinate backwards compatability. Also the fact PCs are upgradable, and the games are cheaper.

I've always been a console man myself. I don't need to upgrade them, I know my games will always work, I can sit on my couch to play, I don't have to use a keyboard and mouse to play games.

But the Keyboard and Mouse is WHY its so good!!

Sorry all other points i can agree with...but a keyboard and a mouse isn't as good as a controller.
the erganomics are uncompairable and for that reason alone the controller is superior to a keyboard and mouse.
You sir, clearly do not know the joy of being linked to PC interface devices for a good decade or so. After so long they just become like extensions of your own body... RSI? HAH! I have become immune!

BlackWolf said:
we're not starting a PC versus Console war are we? :p

Hope not....that'd be like nerds vs geeks aahhh the tension would be alarming :!: :!:

ayase......do you remember the days of the amiga? that was love right there. but the joystick is the stuff of legends lol

i dunno. i've gamed on a pc for ages. then when i first had a playstation my whole preferrences changed and i havent really gone back since.
yes i'll hold hands up and admit i've played sims life stories, afeww war games, and sim city. but apart from that most of my fun came from consoles. and RSI immunity here too :thumb:

ayase said:
Tachi- said:
Spyro201 said:
MrChom said:
ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
PC > Console
Seconded. Think of all the fantastic mods, and infinate backwards compatability. Also the fact PCs are upgradable, and the games are cheaper.

I've always been a console man myself. I don't need to upgrade them, I know my games will always work, I can sit on my couch to play, I don't have to use a keyboard and mouse to play games.

Sorry all other points i can agree with...but a keyboard and a mouse isn't as good as a controller.
the erganomics are uncompairable and for that reason alone the controller is superior to a keyboard and mouse.
You sir, clearly do not know the joy of being linked to PC interface devices for a good decade or so. After so long they just become like extensions of your own body... RSI? HAH! I have become immune!

How can a controller be better? Oh wow you have like 6 buttons max, a keyboard... lets see here....

Also with a mouse you have WAY more control than a freaking joystick. Sorry, controls are for losers who cant master the keyboard ;)

Spyro201 said:
ayase said:
Tachi- said:
Spyro201 said:
MrChom said:
ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
PC > Console

How can a controller be better? Oh wow you have like 6 buttons max, a keyboard... lets see here....

Also with a mouse you have WAY more control than a freaking joystick. Sorry, controls are for losers who cant master the keyboard ;)

look both control scheme are perfect for different styles of game first person shooter? Real Time Strategy games? RPGs?* Keyboard and Mouse Sport games? Platform games? Beat em up games? RPGS?* Controller

RPG was listed twice since games like Eternal Sonata would need a controler given its battle system

Sometimes more buttons does not mean something is better.

Anyway, I'd like to add that whether pad or mouse control is better for an FPS depends on how the FPS was designed. Quake and Counter Strike, for instance, terrible with a pad.... meanwhile Halo is terrible with a mouse.

BlackWolf said:
Spyro201 said:
ayase said:
Tachi- said:
Spyro201 said:
MrChom said:
ayase said:
Spyro201 said:
PC > Console

look both control scheme are perfect for different styles of game first person shooter? Real Time Strategy games? RPGs?* Keyboard and Mouse Sport games? Platform games? Beat em up games? RPGS?* Controller

RPG was listed twice since games like Eternal Sonata would need a controler given its battle system

FPS = PC EVERY day
RTS = PC EVERY day
RPG = PC all the time
MMORPG = Same as above
Sports games = Both
Platformers = Both
Beat em up = Probably more console

PC's are the future. Srsly.

Have you even tried to play a sports game like Pro Evolution on a PC? I would say sports games (baring the mangaer style games) are the domain of the console gamer. I understand what Mr Chom says about FPS i actually forgot about Halo for a moment there (Microsoft will hate me for that) So that makes FPS the same as RPG and game dependant. Platformers are definatly console games, and i'm talking 3D platfomers here

BlackWolf said:
Have you even tried to play a sports game like Pro Evolution on a PC? I would say sports games (baring the mangaer style games) are the domain of the console gamer. I understand what Mr Chom says about FPS i actually forgot about Halo for a moment there (Microsoft will hate me for that) So that makes FPS the same as RPG and game dependant. Platformers are definatly console games, and i'm talking 3D platfomers here

YOU CANNOT SAY THAT PC AND CONSOLE ARE EQUAL ON FPS.

That is just plain stupid by anyones head.

I'm saying its game dependant :p as Mr Chom said Halo was designed for the Xbox controller and i liked the first game (2nd and 3rd though were pretty meh, 2nds only saving grace was banshees in multiplayer) and i'm sure if someone wanted they can make an FPS again suited to xbox or ps controls i mean they are making a wii only FPS now (the conduit)...ironic all this time no one mentioned the Wii :p and i thought metroid prime 3 was a brillant FPS/ adventure

BlackWolf said:

I think for the FPS it basically depends on how much thought was put into the original controls, and how they would work WITH the system they were going onto. Halo was very carfully designed around the principle that the aiming was slower with a pad, and so turned it to its advantage by making it feel physical and heavy, something that was reflected in the melee system, and how the rumble was applied so the controls felt right in synergy with everything else.

Move that movement and control style to Unreal tournament and it would feel desperately wrong by comparison because the game's design ethos is different, and....I'm actually boring myself here.

This is what happens when one of your best friends works in game design. You slowly start absorbing their analysis of stuff....and become a game design bore.

MrChom said:
BlackWolf said:

I think for the FPS it basically depends on how much thought was put into the original controls, and how they would work WITH the system they were going onto. Halo was very carfully designed around the principle that the aiming was slower with a pad, and so turned it to its advantage by making it feel physical and heavy, something that was reflected in the melee system, and how the rumble was applied so the controls felt right in synergy with everything else.

Move that movement and control style to Unreal tournament and it would feel desperately wrong by comparison because the game's design ethos is different, and....I'm actually boring myself here.

This is what happens when one of your best friends works in game design. You slowly start absorbing their analysis of stuff....and become a game design bore.
Never thought of it that way :) Thanks for that, i'm in the games field myself but i'm training to become a lowly games programmer then a designer (got a degree of sorts just need more training and experince)

BlackWolf said:
MrChom said:
BlackWolf said:

Never thought of it that way :) Thanks for that, i'm in the games field myself but i'm training to become a lowly games programmer then a designer (got a degree of sorts just need more training and experince)

Games programming is an interesting field, I know someone from Microsoft Game Studios who walked out a couple of months ago due to burnout from all the pressure he was under, and a crappy team leader.

Now he plays jazz piano at weddings for a career....true story.

For all the people who think this "fps' are made for pc's only yada-yada"... STOP LIVING IN THE PAST! Quit thinking 1999 cs 1.6 and think call of duty 4, halo 3, and the likes!

Spyro201 said:
FPS = PC EVERY day
RTS = PC EVERY day
RPG = PC all the time
MMORPG = Same as above
Sports games = Both
Platformers = Both
Beat em up = Probably more console

PC's are the future. Srsly.

Eh?! I think that is very biased, lol.. The only games I can imagine playing on the pc is competitive fps games (playing cs 1.6 professionally) or mmorpg's (world of warcraft, guildwars, and the likes). Since when are sports games both? Can you imagine yourself tapping at a keyboard by yourself memorizing "a = pass / b = shoot ... GOOOOAL!"? I can only see myself at a big tv with some friends playing them kind of games. Also, racing games. Somehow I feel there's a large difference sitting on the sofa with some friends playing a game than there is connecting to the internet from each of their homes.

Yagami said:
For all the people who think this "fps' are made for pc's only yada-yada"... STOP LIVING IN THE PAST! Quit thinking 1999 cs 1.6 and think call of duty 4, halo 3, and the likes!

Yeah. But COD4, Halo 3 'and the likes' are all better on PC due to a superior control system ETC.

Anyway; ive had this debate on msn already, so im not doing it again. Heck, if you wanna get a lousy gaming experience on a console I wont stop you, but the PC I can assure you is better ESPECIALLY ON FPS, RTS, RPG/MMORPG.

Spyro201 said:
Yagami said:

Yeah. But COD4, Halo 3 'and the likes' are all better on PC due to a superior control system ETC.

Anyway; ive had this debate on msn already, so im not doing it again. Heck, if you wanna get a lousy gaming experience on a console I wont stop you, but the PC I can assure you is better ESPECIALLY ON FPS, RTS, RPG/MMORPG.

Obviously been running your early Alpha Xbox 360 emulator to get Halo 3 on a PC, there ;)

This debate has been raging for years....many many years. When the sun is dead, and the last two humans are considering getting it on to remake the species one of them will mention their love for PC FPS games and the final destruction of humanity will be assured.

As someone who games on both console and PC regularly I think the best thing to say is that it depends on the genre, the specific game itself, AND personal preference.

Oh, and by the way. Since you can now get your xbox controllers and the like to work with the pc. half of the arguments in this thread are null and void.

Nyu said:
Oh, and by the way. Since you can now get your xbox controllers and the like to work with the pc. half of the arguments in this thread are null and void.

Would be if some of the "Games for Windows" certified games were coded for ****. Tomb Raider Anniversary on PC managed to switch the shoulder and bumper buttons with no easy way to reassign the buggers.

There is also the fact that some games (WoW for instance) don't actually allow some inputs from non-mouse/keyboard devices without third party apps or, in fact, at all.

MrChom said:
Nyu said:

Would be if some of the "Games for Windows" certified games were coded for ****. Tomb Raider Anniversary on PC managed to switch the shoulder and bumper buttons with no easy way to reassign the buggers.

There is also the fact that some games (WoW for instance) don't actually allow some inputs from non-mouse/keyboard devices without third party apps or, in fact, at all.

True, but in some cases i can see how it works.

You can buy an xbox controller for £15, a copy of Pro Evo or whatever sport game for example. and get it running on your PC for under £50

Where as, if you dont already own a console and want to play the game. atleast it works out financially.

Back