Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
VoxPhantom said:
So it isn't a complete collection after all... Flippin' brilliant. Had a feeling that price was too good to be true.
Probably a holdback with the dub. Usually the US distributor has a 3 month exclusivity period, and Sentai's part 2 only comes out later this month.
Kaze releasing a complete collection in early May seemed too good to be true.

I'm still confused as to why it's listed as a complete series collection though, it's not like there's even more than one series.

Manga UK
FYI: We've had it confirmed by Kaze that the upcoming release of Penguindrum on DVD will be released in two half-season sets. We appreciate this is contrary to what was has been previously reported and for that we apologise.

Part 1 will be released on 6th May and is set to include episodes 1-12. The release date of Part 2 is unconfirmed at this time, but we're hoping for around Q3 of 2013. (More details to follow on this as appropriate.)

Any pre-order listings currently online will be updated accordingly as soon as possible.

Please understand that we're unable to comment any further on this alteration at this time. ^JG

81uchdov6laa1500.jpg

81mc1osfztlaa1500.jpg

mvd231901.jpg

argh.jpg

Now Manga's corner triangles are under review, let's see if we can't make some headway with THIS.

We know how many "six" is MVM. We really don't require a pictogram.

Yeah, the [X Disc] thing is an eyesore. I think the way Bodacious Space Pirates has it done is good - just a single image on the spine. In fact, I really like that cover. I dropped the show half-way through when it was airing, but I like that cover - huge improvement over part 1.

Not to drag the thread OT but can I ask why you dropped it, just that I am starting to be somewhat disappointed by it as it isn't turning out to be the show I thought it would be when it started?

robot monkey said:
Not to drag the thread OT but can I ask why you dropped it, just that I am starting to be somewhat disappointed by it as it isn't turning out to be the show I thought it would be when it started?
I felt that it was taking too long to go anywhere. I got about 6 episodes in and nothing significant had even happened, so I was bored.

Joshawott said:
robot monkey said:
I felt that it was taking too long to go anywhere. I got about 6 episodes in and nothing significant had even happened, so I was bored.

Will not say any more than this as it is OT, but I am up to episode 10 & stuff does happen but all rather slowly and not very dynamically.

ayase said:
Oddly enough, after writing all that stuff today I received another Manga release, Squid Girl, which has what I would consider a perfect reversible cover with everything unnecessary swept off it - Leaving only the art, title and "Season One Collection" on the cover and spine.

If you want an example of something I think Manga have done exactly right in the packaging department and that I'd love to see more of Jeremy, look no further than that.

Sorry for the delay in response.
When it comes to reversible covers, it again comes down to the factor of licensor approval and whatever potential artwork may be available to do so with. I think they're really cool in general, but sometimes it's literally impossible for it to happen on a release.

For example, I'd love there to be the Japanese version covers on the other side, like ADV used to do with the Full Metal Panic DVDs for those who remember that, but unfortunately things like that aren't easy to get approved.

Jeremy_Graves said:
ayase said:
Oddly enough, after writing all that stuff today I received another Manga release, Squid Girl, which has what I would consider a perfect reversible cover with everything unnecessary swept off it - Leaving only the art, title and "Season One Collection" on the cover and spine.

If you want an example of something I think Manga have done exactly right in the packaging department and that I'd love to see more of Jeremy, look no further than that.
When it comes to reversible covers, it again comes down to the factor of licensor approval and whatever potential artwork may be available to do so with. I think they're really cool in general, but sometimes it's literally impossible for it to happen on a release.

For example, I'd love there to be the Japanese version covers on the other side, like ADV used to do with the Full Metal Panic DVDs for those who remember that, but unfortunately things like that aren't easy to get approved.
Interesting. Thanks again for the info Jeremy, I wasn't even expecting a response to that particular comment to be honest (it was more of a postscript to my earlier posts).

Just out of interest, would the situations you describe normally be a case of the licensor expressly prohibiting the use reversible covers, or mandating one specific piece of piece of artwork be used for the front cover? If it was the latter wouldn't it be fairly easy to produce a "cleaner" version of the same picture? Either way though, it seems incredibly petty when most shows have so much high quality official artwork these days... But then I also realise this is Japanese licensors we're talking about, who move in ways mysterious and incomprehensible to the minds of us mere mortals who comprise the anime buying public.

All of those MVM covers that aren't Vampire Princess look pretty good, I might even buy Shana and Mayo Chiki.

edit: wow, the Strike Witches 2 cover posted a couple of pages back is outstanding, kudos to Manga.

ayase said:
Jeremy_Graves said:
ayase said:

Interesting. Thanks again for the info Jeremy, I wasn't even expecting a response to that particular comment to be honest (it was more of a postscript to my earlier posts).

Just out of interest, would the situations you describe normally be a case of the licensor expressly prohibiting the use reversible covers, or mandating one specific piece of piece of artwork be used for the front cover? If it was the latter wouldn't it be fairly easy to produce a "cleaner" version of the same picture? Either way though, it seems incredibly petty when most shows have so much high quality official artwork these days... But then I also realise this is Japanese licensors we're talking about, who move in ways mysterious and incomprehensible to the minds of us mere mortals who comprise the anime buying public.

I'm unable to elaborate in detail, as sensitive information is involved, think of it as practically any artwork/images used have to be approved.

Jeremy_Graves said:
I'm unable to elaborate in detail, as sensitive information is involved, think of it as practically any artwork/images used have to be approved.
In which case I'm going to presume (in no way inferred from your statement obviously, wouldn't want you to end up at the bottom of Tokyo Bay) that they're able to control not only what you can use but also how you can use it. Can't particularly see why anyone would have a problem with reversible covers, but then from everything I've read about the licensing process it's obvious the licensors are needlessly OTT control freak loons of the highest order, so I wouldn't really expect their reasons to make sense even if you could tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back