Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

I have already pre-ordered both sets, as these are the only UK Studio Ghibli releases I'm collecting - because, beautiful digipaks!

The international shipping is soon gonna be as much as the dang Blu-rays cost, though. It used to only cost £3 for Amazon to ship a Blu-ray over to the US, now it is like £12 for each of these £17.67 Blu-rays...

I have already pre-ordered both sets, as these are the only UK Studio Ghibli releases I'm collecting - because, beautiful digipaks!
Interesting that Studio Canal are now doing this having exhausted the steelbook re-release route - AFAIK only 6 Ghibli films had a digipack collector's edition release in the UK (Ponyo, Arrietty, From Up On Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and When Marnie Was There) - the rest are standard editions with slipcases (or not in Nausicaa's case).

Interesting that Studio Canal are now doing this having exhausted the steelbook re-release route - AFAIK only 6 Ghibli films had a digipack collector's edition release in the UK (Ponyo, Arrietty, From Up On Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and When Marnie Was There) - the rest are standard editions with slipcases (or not in Nausicaa's case).
They haven’t released everything as a steelbook yet though, have they?

Shame, as I really love Ocean Waves - I'll watch that over Totoro or Spirited Away anytime. But then, I prefer the "slice of life" Ghibli movies over most of the fantasy ones. At least I have the JP silhouette digipak and the GKids US standard Blu-ray for Ocean Waves. I'm just hoping GKids will be able to release the remainder of the Ghibli Series in their steelbook line, but there's been no word on any further new steelbooks from them, and usually we know the next set of titles that are coming long before the current ones release.

Oh - almost forgot, I even have an Ocean Waves Coffee mug:

owmugfront.jpg

owmugback.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not missing anything apart from the individual postcards and artworks if I have the Miyazaki blu ray box, right? Apart from movies not directed by him, of course.

Are these exclusive to Amazon UK? I don't see them anywhere else for pre-order. I'm not a fan of buying anime from Amazon, especially Collector's Editions and steelbooks, because of their typically shoddy packing for shipping, but that's where I had to pre-order them.

Last edited:
CG_Akito_LE_BeautySpread-1-1024x673.jpg
Code_Geass_Akito_BD-751x1024.png
akira_standard_4k-693x1024.png
akudama_drive-751x1024.png
AC_Slipcase_FrontMock-756x1024.png
death_parade_bd-751x1024.png
demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-part-1-standard-edition-15-blu-ray.jpgdemon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-part-2-standard-edition-15-blu-ray.jpg
fire_force_complete_s1-751x1024.png

nichijo_bd-751x1024.png
one_piece_24-677x1024.png
robotech_pt2-751x1024.png
rising_of_sheild_hero_s1-751x1024.png
yu-yu_season3-751x1024.png

Really like the look of the Gobin Slayer and Slime steelbooks. The Franxx is classic artwork for the series but looks super nice as steelbook packaging. The Dr Stone one has a few too many characters on it for me personally. I think they could've done something a lot nicer for that one.

Do people generally like steelbooks over CE's? or maybe even buying both?

Think we did get a limited run of Goblin Slayer CE's here, but Slime and DITF didn't have one, Dr Stone did but it wasn't my cuppa tea.

Think we did get a limited run of Goblin Slayer CE's here, but Slime and DITF didn't have one, Dr Stone did but it wasn't my cuppa tea.
Depends I guess. I generally prefer a nice CE that comes with stuff. But if I especially like something I will buy both. The Shinkai films and Promare being examples where I've double dipped for the steelbook as I really like those films and figure having a spare that's in nice but different packaging is worthwhile. Also the steelbooks offer easier access to the discs than CEs if it's something I'll watch multiple times or when I'm drunk (in the case of Promare and Your Name)

Personally it depends on the artwork and the size of the CE (bigger isn't always better!).
If I didn't already have the standards for all except Franx I'd probably get these.

Last edited:
Back