Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

Re: Upcoming Overseas Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Well, who'd have thought the members of this forum would find anything Manga/Animatsu does to be completely unreasonable, even when perfectly valid, whilst refusing to acknowledge genuine criticisms of other companies?

As with everyone else i'll be getting Funi's CE for Haruhi, shame AL only have S1 otherwise i'd have gone with theirs.

Have Funi got the movie too? Surprised it isn't included in the CE as that would make it a true 'Complete' set.

Buzz201 said:
And what's to stop Funimation pulling a similar trick with one of their series in future for the UK or Anime Limited doing it with one of their UEs, say Full Metal Panic!, making the Chibi seires boxset exclusive...

AL already have done a exclusive for one of their UE's, Full Metal Panic. FMP Fumoffu is exclusive to the UE and won't be sold as a standard edition once they get round to releasing them for FMP & FMP Second Raid. At least with FMP Fumoffu Funi's set isn't too expensive to import.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Buzz201 said:
And what's to stop Funimation pulling a similar trick with one of their series in future for the UK or Anime Limited doing it with one of their UEs, say Full Metal Panic!, making the Chibi seires boxset exclusive...

AL already have done a exclusive for one of their UE's, Full Metal Panic. FMP Fumoffu is exclusive to the UE and won't be sold as a standard edition once they get round to releasing them for FMP & FMP Second Raid. At least with FMP Fumoffu Funi's set isn't too expensive to import.

Erm, that was the point. I knew they'd done it for Fumoffu, I was being kinda ironic...

I did wonder whether some of my less serious comments were being received as they were intended. I guess I have my answer. :?

It has a "space" in the packaging so it looks like they are planning to release to film soon.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Complete Collection (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray] [DVD]
uSfG3Vnh.jpg

ZAGGKF7h.jpg
The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san - Complete Collection (Standard Edition) [DVD]
egw9zFOh.jpg
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan - Complete Collection (Standard Edition) [Blu-ray/DVD Combo]
SEAyoqeh.jpg

NormanicGrav said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Complete Collection (Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
XvAdKQoh.png

Contains:
  • Seasons 1 & 2 of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in Haruhi order (i.e. correct order)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya *Blu-ray version is exclusive to Collector's Edition*
  • Nyoron! Churuya-san *Blu-ray version is exclusive to Collector's Edition*
  • Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan series

Few corrections and info:
  • Region A only.
  • 5 Blu-ray discs for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, 1 Blu-ray disc for The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san, & 2 Blu-ray discs for The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan.
  • Bandai extras will be included plus more never before seen in any English release.
  • Collector's Edition release includes a filler box with artcards. Designed to fit The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie presumably (though Funi haven't confirmed the license to the film).
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya set includes a guide that covers the Viewing orders like Broadcast order, Season 2 Broadcast order and DVD order.
  • Standard edition sets available for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya with all 28 episodes on separate Blu-ray and DVD formats.
  • Standard edition set available for The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san on DVD only. Blu-ray is exclusive to Collector's Edition.
  • Standard edition set available for The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan as a Blu-ray & DVD combo.
  • Release date for all of them is September 13th.

Last edited:

I'm not really liking these Funimation rereleases of series which had LEs in the past. It looks gorgeous obviously but they're not really hiding the fact that they're trying to pressure people into getting them. I prefer to feel I chose to buy an LE rather than I was forced to. Will probably skip and wait for some future priced-down edition since I like Haruhi but I don't need to double dip on it, and if AL can do a BD for the 'exclusives' at some point then the buyer wins.

R

Rui said:
I'm not really liking these Funimation rereleases of series which had LEs in the past. It looks gorgeous obviously but they're not really hiding the fact that they're trying to pressure people into getting them. I prefer to feel I chose to buy an LE rather than I was forced to. Will probably skip and wait for some future priced-down edition since I like Haruhi but I don't need to double dip on it, and if AL can do a BD for the 'exclusives' at some point then the buyer wins.

R

I know I was vocal in the "this is a crappy thing to do" element, but at least they are being open and reasonably aggressive with it. It's better than delaying the release of certain parts for a few months, then announcing they'll be DVD-only after the UCE has sold out. The UCE also doesn't seem to be limited either, so I'm not sure it will sell out like others are claiming.

thedoctor2016 said:
So youre saying what AL are doing with FMA is unfair.

Well, no. Because as far as we know, none of the on-disc contents will be exclusive to the Ultimate Edition. And I don't see how AL could, since it only contains the series itself (probably from Funi's discs). If AL were to do that, then I would throw the book at them and I would expect others on the forum to as well.

Thats true but you have to wait for the CE then SE unlike FUNi which released them all on the same day.

thedoctor2016 said:
Thats true but you have to wait for the CE then SE unlike FUNi which released them all on the same day.

AL has 5 people and any freelancers they hire, that's not necessarily a realistic expectation. It's also a soft way of pushing the UE. I don't mind waiting for SEs, provided they do actually happen.

Considering the UE of FMA is actually going to contain the CE packaging in its entirety, I do think it's unfair that they're giving the CE version an arbitrary delay.

I dunno, we have the information up front and anyone who really wanted FMA has had years to buy it at this point; I'm sure waiting a few months until the standard editions are out won't hurt.

I see cases like OAVs being locked to LEs or extras being deliberately downgraded as shifty. I keep up with the news so I can usually avoid missing anything, but it's completely understandable that people do (or they might just not want to rebuy the whole thing for what is effectively a tiny upgrade to most people). They also make it more annoying in future when buying things used because there's a risk of getting the wrong version. Not the anime company's problem since they don't make money off used sales, but it's a fact of life that not every anime collector is able to purchase stuff on release. There are people who will want the special editions one day who aren't even into anime yet.

R

Funimation's September slate

DVD releases:
j7naGf7l.jpg
vwbJHuhl.jpg
ojyfKmyl.jpg
IPcP4uql.jpg
2gVe5D6l.jpg

• Harmony
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya + Nyoron! Churuya-san
  • One Piece: Season 8 Voyage 3
  • Rainy Cocoa
Blu-ray releases:
n4XqhKLl.jpg
BvpMQ7pl.jpg
i9fHF3Al.jpg
eRanfC4l.jpg
3eAUyjXl.jpg
YBAnbkLl.jpg
tVdqV6bl.jpg
E1JYaMrl.jpg
h26eWW9l.jpg

• The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
  • Fairy Tail: Part 21
  • Harmony
  • High School DxD BorN
  • Maken-Ki!
  • Maria the Virgin Witch
  • Mikagura School Suite
  • Psycho Pass
Special releases:
ege9WS6l.jpg
C9Zc3mgl.jpg

• High School DxD BorN

Last edited:

yeah i'm totally buying this:

[US]: Funimation

Close up of contents in the Haruhi Suzumiya Ultimate Collection [Blu-ray]

[spoilerbutton]
2XWhZ5J.png
[/spoilerbutton]

britguy said:
yeah i'm totally buying this:

[US]: Funimation

Close up of contents in the Haruhi Suzumiya Ultimate Collection [Blu-ray]

[spoilerbutton]
2XWhZ5J.png
[/spoilerbutton]

For £105 SRP we're basically getting 28 episodes of The Melancholy, 25 short episodes of Haruhi-chan on Blu-ray, 13 short episodes of Nyorōn Churuya-san on Blu-ray, and 16 episodes + 1 OVA of Nagato Yuki-chan. That's quite a lot of content. Plus there's a slot for the movie (presumably) and tons of extras.

For those concerned of the space on the shelf, it should be the same size (if not smaller) than Psycho Pass Season 1 Premium Edition (1 normal case & 2 slim cases with 1 slim cardbox)

Back