United Publications Anime Discussion

I got a little card saying that they are rising there UK prices on US DVDs so I'm going to use the US site but I have no idea how to do the whole UK to US dollars thing....

Help me out here what do it do.

Also do I send the cheque to the UK address or the US address

If you have a UK cheque you can't pay in US dollars because your cheque will only work in pounds. You will have to use a credit/debit card to order from UP1 USA, or just stick to the UK pricing.

R

No, the only reason the US prices are cheaper is that they want to receive USD. If you send them a cheque denominated in GBP you will be charged the UK prices because otherwise you're forcing them to lose money.

The US site clearly states that they only accept payment by card there. Sorry, but if you use cheques you have to pay extra and stick to the UK. Cheques don't work across currencies and the recipient loses a huge percentage trying to cash them in to a foreign bank. They will never agree to it.

Perhaps you could order one of those prepaid US dollar cards? That's probably your only option.

R

If you really don't want to use credit card you could open a US bank account in US dollars and ask for a cheque book. It's probably better to pursue getting a card though, since cheques will become obsolete in the near future.

(And should be now, in my personal opinion - they're insecure and require visiting a bank >_>)

R

Wha, didn't even know you still had cheques over in the UK. They're obsolete here in Belgium for at least a decade, and good they are as i have some bad experience with them.

We still have them, but it's mainly old people who use them. If my parents give me money, the give me cheques as they're both suspicious of online banking. I first opened my bank account in 2009 and I still have the original chequebook from when I opened the account. I've only ever used it to pay things like deposits on flats. (i.e. writing a cheque for 6 months time when the tenancy starts). I probably write a cheque less than once a year.

animefreak17 said:
Il just send a letter to United publications and ask them what I should do.

Besides I have alot of credit with them anyways

Time to bite the bullet and get a debit card - you'll need one sooner or later so you might as well get prepared now

I recently let my passport expire and was then almost unable to prove my identity to a satisfactory level because it wasn't in date. At work I occasionally have to arrange for money to be paid to people who have recently turned 18 and it's amazing how many of those people don't have a bank account.

Get your basics covered, it'll pay dividends later.

SunlightHeart said:
Aye. Although to be fair the UP site is a real pain when trying to work out how to change ones card when it expires *smile*

I didn't have any issues, just input the new details in the boxes provided on the my account screen aswell as sending them a message warning them that my card had changed. As I recall it was back when MvM/AoL lost all our card data (ok that's technically unconfirmed but we all know their web shop went down just a few days later and it was the only common shop between users)

I only have one minor complaint from them and it is it takes 2 days for them to process pre-orders for some reason, yet when I buy stuff that is not pre-ordered it is processed within a day always found that a bit odd.

Baggie_Saiyan said:
I only have one minor complaint from them and it is it takes 2 days for them to process pre-orders for some reason, yet when I buy stuff that is not pre-ordered it is processed within a day always found that a bit odd.

I assume you mean it takes a day or two for the order to pop up in your account history on pre orders?

I think you possibly answered your own complaint when you said in stock items are shipped same day. They clearly prioritise in stock items that they can ship to a customer immediately over future pre-orders. I'd also suspect there's an extra step on pre-orders where they actually need to add the pre-order to their existing order from their distributor.

Stiivun said:
Wha, didn't even know you still had cheques over in the UK. They're obsolete here in Belgium for at least a decade, and good they are as i have some bad experience with them.

They were all set to get rid of them over here but such a fuss was made about it, especially in parts of the media that they have dropped the idea for now. I still do use them but not all that often.

Yesterday i got an email asking if i wanted to move my outstanding orders i made from the UK store to the US store. Off course i didn't mind at all, as the US dollar prices are better than the UK prices. So great support, that they allow me to do this :thumb:

And today i got an email that a package is underway with 9 titles in it :eek:, as UP1 seems to combine orders when they can. Also this package has the highest ever P&P on a package send to me i've ever seen :)

Among those nine titles, there are two before their release date, one which will be released next week and another one at the end of April. Riddle, riddle 8)

Stiivun said:
Yesterday i got an email asking if i wanted to move my outstanding orders i made from the UK store to the US store. Off course i didn't mind at all, as the US dollar prices are better than the UK prices. So great support, that they allow me to do this :thumb:

And today i got an email that a package is underway with 9 titles in it :eek:, as UP1 seems to combine orders when they can. Also this package has the highest ever P&P on a package send to me i've ever seen :)

Among those nine titles, there are two before their release date, one which will be released next week and another one at the end of April. Riddle, riddle 8)

Nice, I had an order shipped today with something that's out next week too. Seem like it's primarily Funimation stuff that comes out early, Aniplex stuff tends to be 1-2 weeks late.

Stiivun said:

Freezing Vibration & D-Frag! by any chance. :wink:

UP1 USA have sent me a package today containing 4 titles in it, 2 of which are the Madoka Magica Rebellion LE & Yuki Yuna is a Hero Collector's Edition. :)

Back