Underrated Anime?

hopeful_monster said:
Suprised that Planetes is on this list, more because i never seen a bad review for it or heard anyone really speak ill of it. While it may not have done as well comercially as other series, this is probably more due to the pitch of the show (animed at older anime fans) and the fact it mixes more realistic sci-fi with romance (seldom mixed well).
Well I guess that’s why Planetes is cropping up so often. It is generally well thought of and is seemingly never really criticised but doesn’t get the plaudits that the likes of Akira, NGE and Spirited Away get.

It’s probably my fault for the thread title being quite vague, but I was contemplating whether there is a movie or series that should be regarded as being amongst the very best examples anime, but currently is not.

Maybe the defining factor for such an anime is that not only is it excellent in terms of animation, story, music etc, but that it must also have some extra groundbreaking quality. Like how Akira is often credited with the breaking of Japanese animation into western popular culture.

I credit Haibane Renmei for primarily relying on it's strong characters to hold the series together. There's a refreshingly restrained approach to the writing, it seems to be rare for body language in anime to play an important part and with this series much is conveyed not by what is said but by what isn't. I think it should be regarded as a classic.

Andy said:
Hajime no Ippo

i was just about to post this one today.
Hajime no ippo is an awsome sports anime with superb animation.
....and i will 3 more of my own
Captain Tsubasa, Slam Dunk and Eyeshield 21

I’m definitely agreeing with the inclusion of Haibane Renmei amongst the best of the best. It isn’t epic, it just goes about it’s business quietly and makes no mistakes.

I still think Kino’s Journey has something to offer as a fine example of anime, but perhaps it can only ever be considered a cult classic or something. It certainly manages to break the mould.

harkins said:
I still think Kino’s Journey has something to offer as a fine example of anime, but perhaps it can only ever be considered a cult classic or something. It certainly manages to break the mould.
I've been hovering over buying that. Seen the boxset for £16. Still unsure though.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
harkins said:
I've been hovering over buying that. Seen the boxset for £16. Still unsure though.
Go for it. I give you my word that you won't regret it.

harkins said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
harkins said:
Ordered. I had better not regret it since is going to be my last anime purchase for a good long time. :wink:

harkins said:
I’m definitely agreeing with the inclusion of Haibane Renmei amongst the best of the best. It isn’t epic, it just goes about it’s business quietly and makes no mistakes.

I really wanted to love Kino's Journey because I'm into philosophy and I thought it was okay but it didn't really engage me as much as I'd hoped. I was encouraged by the quality of the second episode which was about the slave traders but the series never reached those heights again after that.

On a side note I can't think why anyone would want Kino as a slave anyway. She's so puny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Kino's is underrated. I think more people should see it, but equally, I don't think it's a brilliant, one of a kind series. I'm glad I brought the volumes in a sale rather than full price, but equally, I'm not rushing to sell it on. It has its good points and bad points.

Whisper of the Heart is the hidden gem in the Ghibli catalogue. True, I suspect that compared to other anime releases, it may even be more widely seen, but among Ghibli releases it is underrated. It's easy to under-rate something which is really just a simple tale of life and love: easy to say that it's 'good but not great', but I really do think it is 'great' and probably my fourth favourite Ghibli movie.

Turn-A Gundam is certainly underrated among Gundam shows, but that's largely due to the way that it really didn't ought to BE a Gundam show.

kupoartist said:
Whisper of the Heart is the hidden gem in the Ghibli catalogue. True, I suspect that compared to other anime releases, it may even be more widely seen, but among Ghibli releases it is underrated. It's easy to under-rate something which is really just a simple tale of life and love: easy to say that it's 'good but not great', but I really do think it is 'great' and probably my fourth favourite Ghibli movie.

In my books it is the best Ghibli film by far. The others tend not to have as good character development.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
harkins said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
harkins said:
Ordered. I had better not regret it since is going to be my last anime purchase for a good long time. :wink:
Good man. I do't think you'll regret it either.

I'm pleased to see Riding Bean mentioned too. Short, sharp and heaps of fun. 8)

One Piece

In my opinion, I think this anime is overlooked.

Alot of people tend to judge this series by its obscure animation and tend to think that it's aimed for kids.

This series is not for kids, unlike a certain anime raping company who thinks kids are stupid and therefore dumbed this once great anime to a happy-go-lucky play land with candy, water pistols, rubber knives and a gumdrop lane where nobody ever dies and people can get stabbed without bleeding.

One Piece has it all, great storylines, really funny moments, heart rippingly emotional moments, e.g. Nami, Chopper & Robin's past, Luffy vs. Usopp, etc. and instantly lovable characters.

Not to mention, some of possibly the greatest story arcs I've ever seen in anime; Arlong Park, Arabasta, Skypea, Water 7, Enies Lobby, etc.

I truly think this is possibly the greatest long running series available. Better than Bleach, Inuyasha, Naruto and Dragonball Z combined.

Trowa_Ayanami said:
I truly KNOW this is possibly the greatest long running series available. Better than Bleach, Inuyasha, Naruto and Dragonball Z combined.
Everyone needs to grasp this.

Trowa_Ayanami said:
One Piece

Alot of people tend to judge this series by its obscure animation and tend to think that it's aimed for kids.

This series is not for kids, unlike a certain anime raping company who thinks kids are stupid and therefore dumbed this once great anime to a happy-go-lucky play land with candy, water pistols, rubber knives and a gumdrop lane where nobody ever dies and people can get stabbed without bleeding.

One Piece has it all, great storylines, really funny moments, heart rippingly emotional moments, e.g. Nami, Chopper & Robin's past, Luffy vs. Usopp, etc. and instantly lovable characters.

Not to mention, some of possibly the greatest story arcs I've ever seen in anime; Arlong Park, Arabasta, Skypea, Water 7, Enies Lobby, etc.

I truly think this is possibly the greatest long running series available. Better than Bleach, Inuyasha, Naruto and Dragonball Z combined.

I speak for myself and a lot of other anime fans, when I say that the sheer amount of episodes this series has makes it an everest to watch.

300+ episodes I believe it has? o.o

I mean I saw quite a few episodes when it was on Toonami a while back, but I don't think I could ever watch the entire series .

A lot of fans like to stick to the 12-26 episode animes & OVA's, including myself.

Hyaku said:
Trowa_Ayanami said:
One Piece

I speak for myself and a lot of other anime fans, when I say that the sheer amount of episodes this series has makes it an everest to watch.

300+ episodes I believe it has? o.o

I mean I saw quite a few episodes when it was on Toonami a while back, but I don't think I could ever watch the entire series .

A lot of fans like to stick to the 12-26 episode animes & OVA's, including myself.

I actually perfer the longer running animes, DBZ, Bleach, Monster and now One Piece (Naruto was too childish). But I find its the same with films, I perfer a thrilogy than a single film.

Also I feel another (not really under-rated, more overlooked) anime is Monster (Yes I keep mentioning it :p), but its got, possibly, the best storyline ever, its just the 74 episode count that puts people off, which is a real shame.

Xelis said:
Also I feel another (not really under-rated, more overlooked) anime is Monster (Yes I keep mentioning it :p), but its got, possibly, the best storyline ever, its just the 74 episode count that puts people off, which is a real shame.
I've been reading the manga, but then stopped, I'm on like... volume 3 and it's shaping up very well so far. I'll watch the anime and see how "faithful" faithful is when it comes to Madhouse.

Back