UK's favourite Accents

I'm from Worcestershire but apparently some of us have slight farmer accents although I don't think I do. My favourite accents are probably anyone from up North/Yorkshire area, love northern accents! And also Irish accents as I've been there before and just love the accents!

Dannielle said:
13) Mancunian (401)
14) Black Country (364)
15) Estuary English (245)
17) Potteries (116)

Am i the only person who has no idea where these accents are from? 0.o

Anyhows, West Country applies to me, I'm unfortunately a mix of Janner/Cornish.

From Wikipedia:
Estuary English is a dialect of English widely spoken in South East England, especially along the River Thames and its estuary. Phonetician John C. Wells defines Estuary English as "Standard English spoken with the accent of the southeast of England".[1] The name comes from the area around the Thames, particularly London, Kent, north Surrey and south Essex.

&

The Potteries dialect is a dialect found in the northern West Midlands of England, almost exclusively in and around Stoke-on-Trent.

I'd say that that I don't fall into any of those categories. I'm from Teesside, which I guess would be a mixture of Geordie and Yorkshire - only with more c-words.

Birmingham-influenced Queen's English for me, unless I am trying to convey to someone that I am pretty annoyed with them, in which case you might hear the words "naaaaaah" and "bruv" a lot more than usual.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I guess mine would be cockney since I've lived most of my life in East London, but it's not really broad. A bit of Estuary in there as well I suppose.
Oh man, I think I even knew this from hearing you on Xbox Live one time, but still... all of your posts sound totally different to me now. :lol:

That couldn't have been me because I've never used my headset on Live. I like to retain an air of mystery, see.

But I'd like to stress the point that I'm no Danny Dyer dya nah'at I mean innit bruv.

1) Queen's English (2,141)
2) Geordie (1,996)
3) Scottish Highlands (1,361)
4) Yorkshire (1,259)
5) Welsh (1,112)
6) Northern Irish (1,085)
7) Cockney (971)
8) West Country (930)
9) Scouse (909)
10) Glaswegian (605)
11) Birmingham (507)
12) Lancastrian (458)
13) Mancunian (401)
14) Black Country (364)
16) Norfolk (240)
17) Potteries (116)

Those would be the accents that apply to me despite the fact im from Zambia (It's in Africa) i have the tendancy to switch accents on the fly depending on who im talking to. A funny example is when i kept switchin from my american accent and cockney accent when i was around both at the same time and both sides were lookin at me as if i was a freak. i cant help it its just the way i am although when around my parents im not sure what that accent would be but i think its the middle ground between sean bean and rowan atkinson :roll:

fabricatedlunatic said:
That couldn't have been me because I've never used my headset on Live. I like to retain an air of mystery, see
I do actually recall you saying this, but I felt certain that one time I'd heard you speak. Maybe it wasn't, then.

-Tachi- said:
1) Queen's English (2,141)
2) Geordie (1,996)
3) Scottish Highlands (1,361)
4) Yorkshire (1,259)
5) Welsh (1,112)
6) Northern Irish (1,085)
7) Cockney (971)
8) West Country (930)
9) Scouse (909)
10) Glaswegian (605)
11) Birmingham (507)
12) Lancastrian (458)
13) Mancunian (401)
14) Black Country (364)
16) Norfolk (240)
17) Potteries (116)

Which one(s) apply to you?

I would say none of the above - I am from Derby (I did go to University in Birmingham in the mid 1990s but I can't say the accent rubbed off on me).

Yorkshire here (or more precisely, East Cleveland with a little Dales).

I wonder if the Potteries came last because no one knows where the hell are the Potteries are, or indeed what an accent from there sounds like? Without Wikipedia's help I certainly wouldn't have.

ayase said:

I wonder if the Potteries came last because no one knows where the hell are the Potteries are, or indeed what an accent from there sounds like? Without Wikipedia's help I certainly wouldn't have.

I would hope that any football fan would know where the Potteries is located - the Potteries derby is Stoke City vs Port Vale and Stoke City's nickname is The Potters on account of Stoke's pottery industry.

mangaman74 said:
ayase said:

I would hope that any football fan would know where the Potteries is located
Ah, that'll be it then.

I see. I could never quite ascertain the likely residence of a chap I once knew, who later revealed himself to hail from Stoke. Whilst exhibiting a certain flatness of vowels, similar to folk from counties as northerly as mine, his tongue was still quite distinct from theirs.

He wore a striped cap whenever I saw him, come to think of it. Such attire may have exacerbated my bewilderment.

Back