UK's favourite Accents

Tachi

Mushi-shi
The popularity of the accent in the MSN poll suggests UK residents respond rather more favourably to the lilting dialect of Cole and other famous geordies such as fellow TV presenters Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly.

Here is the full list of results:

1) Queen's English (2,141)
2) Geordie (1,996)
3) Scottish Highlands (1,361)
4) Yorkshire (1,259)
5) Welsh (1,112)
6) Northern Irish (1,085)
7) Cockney (971)
8) West Country (930)
9) Scouse (909)
10) Glaswegian (605)
11) Birmingham (507)
12) Lancastrian (458)
13) Mancunian (401)
14) Black Country (364)
15) Estuary English (245)
16) Norfolk (240)
17) Potteries (116)

Which one(s) apply to you?

1) Queen's English (2,141) Lived in luton for over 15 years, i've got a prodominant accent that to my family is "posh" but not quite queens english (Zin5ki is a pro at this accent.)
4) Yorkshire (1,259) - born in Halifax, west yorks i still have trouble shaking off yorkshire sayings and ways of speaking.
3) Scottish Highlands (1,361) Most of mums side are from scotland, but now live in yorkshire and have for about 30 odd years.
6) Northern Irish (1,085) - Heh, most of my family on my dads side are from Belfast and surrounding area's so at family get togethers i end up picking up the accent a helluvalot more.

In other words, depending on who's company i'm in, different accents take over, Can't help it.

The West Country one applies to me, naturally because I live in Wiltshire and very close to Somerset, it's always a fun accent to pull off, even if hardly anyone under the age of 40 has that kind of accent round here, the Brummie one also applies seeing as my mum's side of the family lives mainly up near Birmingham, that side of me always comes out when I'm around them, or when I'm hungry, I also randomly put on a Scottish accent from time to time, no idea why :lol:

lol from now on i will read whatever you post in either a stephen merchant or justin lee collins voice :p

Brummie accents are just fun to listen to lol. can never tell what mood the person is in because they sound the same "whatever the weather" :lol:

Is there a discernible difference between Mancunian and Lancastrian? I thought they were the same.

I guess mine would be cockney since I've lived most of my life in East London, but it's not really broad. A bit of Estuary in there as well I suppose.

Some Scottish accents are lovely. I used to know a girl from Fife and her accent made me a little weak at the knees <3

fabricatedlunatic said:
Is there a discernible difference between Mancunian and Lancastrian? I thought they were the same.

Listening to karl pilkington ( a true manc) and a lancs accent, there is a slight difference, but it is there.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I guess mine would be cockney since I've lived most of my life in East London, but it's not really broad. A bit of Estuary in there as well I suppose.

My cousin in Yorks thought everyone down south had a accent like billy from eastenders :p "propa cokney cheeky chappy, mate"

fabricatedlunatic said:
Some Scottish accents are lovely. I used to know a girl from Fife and her accent made me a little weak at the knees <3

Sounds like my mate ali when he went to dublin to play at a concert, he came back saying "i think i'm in love man, there was this girl with a irish accent and i just couldn't think straight round her man, think i'm in love" haha :p

My missus is a mixture of queens english/cockney = Lutonian accent and scouse, listening to her say some words some times cracks me up, whenever she says chicken she says "chikun" can't help but correct her on how to speak english lol :p

Stereotypically to the rest of the world we all sound like 1900's posh nosh englishman with a smoking jacket and smoking pipes :lol: i think our different accents are what make us good fun :p

Black Country, although I love in Bournemouth for uni at the moment so I try to speak a little more clearly, ha.

animefreak, where abouts are you from?

fabricatedlunatic said:
There are probably phonological differences between the two, but I doubt it is of particular merit to identify such distinctions.

(I am told there are multiple Yorkshire accents, though being prone to stay indoors I am least inclined to investigate any such 'diversity', if indeed that is a word apt to describe the tongues of my county.)

I'm Scottish Lowlands with a hint of Irish from my great grandmother's side of the family. People have actually thought I'm from Ireland.

fabricatedlunatic said:

They still do *cough*

I'm Scottish Highlands since i originate from Muir of Ord, in the Black Isle area just out of Inverness. It's still there, but it's varied up a little since then, considering i live further south now

memorium said:
The West Country one applies to me, naturally because I live in Wiltshire and very close to Somerset, it's always a fun accent to pull off, even if hardly anyone under the age of 40 has that kind of accent round here, the Brummie one also applies seeing as my mum's side of the family lives mainly up near Birmingham, that side of me always comes out when I'm around them, or when I'm hungry, I also randomly put on a Scottish accent from time to time, no idea why :lol:

I'll stand on my high horse and say that most people around here consider 'westcounty' only to be Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.

But yeah, Devonshire dumpling here :p

Warmaster said:
memorium said:

I'll stand on my high horse and say that most people around here consider 'westcounty' only to be Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.

But yeah, Devonshire dumpling here :p
Haha, I live very close to the Wiltshire-Somerset border mate, it's pretty much down the road from me village :p

God knows what my accent is, I was born in Nottingham and lived there for 18 years, my fiance and her family said that at first my accent was really strong and yet my family have always said my pronounciation has always been more enforced than there's (i.e. Nottingham residents drop their T's and G's alot, Nottingham residents usually say Not'num, or something to that effect, I think I always said Nottinam).

However, since the end of 2002 I've lived in Bedford, now I can't detect any accent in the residents of Bedford, but my Dad says I definetly sound different, I really have no idea.

memorium said:
Haha, I live very close to the Wiltshire-Somerset border mate, it's pretty much down the road from me village :p
I hereby put forward a motion to impose a special tax on memorium, to be paid in Somerset cider and Wiltshire ham.

13) Mancunian (401)
14) Black Country (364)
17) Potteries (116)

Am i the only person who has no idea where these accents are from? 0.o

Anyhows, West Country applies to me, I'm unfortunately a mix of Janner/Cornish.

RivaOni said:
(i.e. Nottingham residents drop their T's and G's alot, Nottingham residents usually say Not'num, or something to that effect, I think I always said Nottinam).

However, since the end of 2002 I've lived in Bedford, now I can't detect any accent in the residents of Bedford, but my Dad says I definetly sound different, I really have no idea.

Yeah your only up the road from me, and herts and beds accent is something inbetween cockney and talking the queens english.

So for Nottingham, we'd say No'in'am, both the T and the G get dropped.

Mate = Ma'e
Luton = Lu'un

Just some examples :p
I've always wanted to live in somewhere like MK or London (bedfords town centre is too small) or Northampton. And retire to St. Albans or Hitchin, lovely places to visit.

Dannielle said:
13) Mancunian (401)
14) Black Country (364)
17) Potteries (116)

Am i the only person who has no idea where these accents are from? 0.o

Anyhows, West Country applies to me, I'm unfortunately a mix of Janner/Cornish.

Mancunian - manchester
black country is just north of the brummies i think
no idea..

last one i'm thinking of potters bar but highly likely to be wrong haha

Btw, your new name is the Cornish Pixie.

Black Country is just north of Birmingham yeah, it's a wonderful accent. My first thought for Potteries would be Stoke, and if it's no there then I have no idea.

Back