UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Phew! Ok, no chipboard box or digipak, so no need to panic - thought I somehow missed a CE for my collection, lol.
Pretty sure this is like Amagi Brilliant Park and similar Animatsu releases, wherein the collector's editions are long since sold out, but is still listed as such on amazon or zavvi, you just get the standard ama-ray release if you order though.

There was an Elfen Lied CE of sorts, the steelbook release, was the first anime CE I ever bought and still one of my most prized.

£15.50 for the ama-ray release of such a fantastic series is a pretty good deal though, IMO.

Phew! Ok, no chipboard box or digipak, so no need to panic - thought I somehow missed a CE for my collection, lol.

i think the french AL did a digipak iirc
Anime Limited x KSM did a beautiful Chipboard Digipak CE:
Elfen Lied - Die komplette Serie (2 Blu-rays): Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray (affiliated)

Unlike the first the other Releases by Anime Limited this includes all 4 audio options (JP + EN + FR + DE) and all subtitles.
Booklet texts are German, Blu-ray menus are also German, age rating is just on a paper sheet

(english dub / subs is included, despite not mentioned on amazon)

Pretty sure this is like Amagi Brilliant Park and similar Animatsu releases, wherein the collector's editions are long since sold out, but is still listed as such on amazon or zavvi, you just get the standard ama-ray release if you order though.

There was an Elfen Lied CE of sorts, the steelbook release, was the first anime CE I ever bought and still one of my most prized.

£15.50 for the ama-ray release of such a fantastic series is a pretty good deal though, IMO.

Yes, I did get the Elfen Lied Steelbook - although mine is the US release, since I'm in the States. I may have gotten the UK steel as well, but I'm not sure, I'm at work so I can't look right now. I do have somewhere around 20 UK anime steelbook/steelcase releases in my collection now, excluding any Studio Ghibli steels, which I originally decided not to import.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a deal but it's Fate for under £100 so that's normally good right 🤷‍♂️ (I'm not a fate person)

Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks Collectors Edition £64.66 (it's currently £89.99 on AoL)

It’s been offered for £50 from AOL (MVM) with some others price matching, so I’d be optimistic about it appearing again in their next sale if you can wait that long!

Going through the Righstuf birthday sale, and this is a very good price for Tsurune Premium box set

Yes, I did get the Elfen Lied Steelbook - although mine is the US release, since I'm in the States. I may have gotten the UK steel as well, but I'm not sure, I'm at work so I can't look right now.

OK, I checked my collection once I got home from work, and I actually have 3 copies of Elfen Lied on Blu-ray - The ADV standard release from 2013, the ADV Steelbook release with clear plastic slipcover from 2019, and the UK Steelcase release from 2015, all unopened as of yet. All have the OVA, the two steels have a booklet, and the US Steelbook includes a 37 minute soundtrack CD. So I'm good to go with this series for now.

3elfenlied.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 "steelbooks". These have a different booklet. The one from the USA has a lot of interviews and a manga fragment (I think it was specially drawn on the occasion of the BD release in Japan) and episode descriptions etc.

The UK version focuses on the show, sketches and character descriptions. It is longer, but in my opinion the one from the USA is more interesting.

The Sentai steelbook is better made (it's a real steelbook, not a metalcase, because it has a title on the connector). Additionally, I like these dust jackets with descriptions.

The USA version has a soundtrack, which additionally makes this release more attractive.

The encoding is better for the US version so if I had to choose I would recommend the Sentai edition.

MVM's Deal of the Week is Granblue Fantasy: The Animation.

Part 1 - £9.99
Part 2 - £9.99

Good deal to have both seasons on offer together. Would you recommend this to someone who loooves Re:zero but is not really an isekai fan otherwise and found SAO very meh overall even if the score and animation were excellent?

Good deal to have both seasons on offer together. Would you recommend this to someone who loooves Re:zero but is not really an isekai fan otherwise and found SAO very meh overall even if the score and animation were excellent?
It's not both seasons, it's both halves of the first season. It's also not an isekai.

As a very invested Granblue Fantasy player I will say that the anime is... fine. It occupies a similar spot in my mind as the Persona 4 anime where taken in a vacuum, it's a pretty average show, but as a previous fan of the source material you can get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing characters you know and love animated alongside music that you're already very familiar with. But if you don't have that base, it's pretty skippable.

It's not both seasons, it's both halves of the first season. It's also not an isekai.

As a very invested Granblue Fantasy player I will say that the anime is... fine. It occupies a similar spot in my mind as the Persona 4 anime where taken in a vacuum, it's a pretty average show, but as a previous fan of the source material you can get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing characters you know and love animated alongside music that you're already very familiar with. But if you don't have that base, it's pretty skippable.
Perfect, that's exactly everything I needed to know. Thank you kindly.

I already have these UK standard releases for Granblue Fantasy; I really like the world setting they are in, I like the artwork, and I like the characters - but my biggest turn-off with this series is the obnoxious "little talking animal sidekick" that always makes me want to vomit when they insist on including one in a show. I tend to drop shows like a rock when one is present, and I basically struggled to make it through about 4-5 episodes for this series before I couldn't stand it any more. The little dragon character is extremely prominent in this series, and has an even more obnoxious voice. If it didn't exist in this show I would definitely have splurged on the Aniplex of America sets, because everything else in the story is really intriguing. Maybe I can force myself to complete the series one day, if someone straps me down in the sofa with a straight-jacket.

Skippable because Gran is the main character and not Djeeta! Give me my Djeeta strapped with 3 landslides on her back!

2 for £25 Ghibli blu-ray sale. Not sure if these are great prices but think this might be enough for me to start collecting.
The Miyazaki and Takahata movies almost never go for less than that. You can sometimes find better deals on the movies from other Ghibli directors though.

Back