UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I made three smaller orders and one of them received £16.52 in fees from Royal Mail. The other cost £13.05 in fees.
Also is it just me or do Australian blu ray cases feel cheap?

Last edited:
Just warning that, as unutterably awesome as FLCL is, the DVD isn't a patch on the Blu Ray. You will know the pain of compresion artifacts and jaggies unless you want to smear vaseline over your TV before watching.

Just warning that, as unutterably awesome as FLCL is, the DVD isn't a patch on the Blu Ray. You will know the pain of compresion artifacts and jaggies unless you want to smear vaseline over your TV before watching.

I'd stick to the DVD, it's better. If you want jaggies, try episode 3 on the BLu-ray, it's incorrectly encoded, and it's full of jaggies and fine shimmer, while the whole of the Blu-ray upscale has been treated to the Q-Tec smearing process. It isn't as bad as some other upscales, but it's noticeable. The DVDs look more consistent than the BD, while the Blu-ray varies between as good as and worse, and occasionally better.

The Blu-ray also doesn't have the isolated effects and music track that the DVDs have, and with the Pillows music, that's one of the better extra features out there.

I'd stick to the DVD, it's better. If you want jaggies, try episode 3 on the BLu-ray, it's incorrectly encoded, and it's full of jaggies and fine shimmer, while the whole of the Blu-ray upscale has been treated to the Q-Tec smearing process. It isn't as bad as some other upscales, but it's noticeable. The DVDs look more consistent than the BD, while the Blu-ray varies between as good as and worse, and occasionally better.

The Blu-ray also doesn't have the isolated effects and music track that the DVDs have, and with the Pillows music, that's one of the better extra features out there.

wait wait! so its not worth it to upgrade to BD? Is it that bad?

I know this is not the place but what about Ergo Proxy BD? is it any good? And Samurai Champloo?

The positive about the FLCL BD is the lossless audio, which blows the DVDs out of the water, and given that FLCL is such a music oriented show, it's a big positive. Where I've double dipped, or seen the alternatives, I can choose between DVD and BD, and put one away (usually DVD), but with FLCL, I wish the Blu-ray had a decent upscale, or the DVD had uncompressed audio...

Samurai Champloo BD, faithful upscale, great audio definitely worth the double dip, I've only seen bits of Ergo Proxy BD (it's on my to watch pile), but that's a native HD show so it will be better than the DVD no matter.

Thanks for the explanation. Wasnt sure if Ergo Proxy was a native HD show, I had the idea that it wasnt but didnt check to be honest. I remember watching it at the time, but didnt find it very interesting even though I like the art style and the characters. Maybe I'll give it a try one day and buy the BD.
Thanks once again.

I don't think FLCL is as disastrous as people are making it sound. Sure it's not the most amazing looking upscale ever, but it's not the worst release you'.ve ever seen.

Back