tv licence

owari

Completely Average High School Student
Im moving t=for uni soon and i cant tell if i need to get a tv licence or not. I dont watch anything other than fansubs so do i need to get a tv licence for that?

No, at the moment a TV Licence only covers live TV, so if you only watch fansubs you'd be fine. As long as you don't watch live TV or record live TV you'll be fine.

I do however feel obliged to point out a year's Crunchyroll subscription is a hell of a lot cheaper than a TV Licence, so you could perhaps look at getting one of those...

Maybe a few years back you might have wanted one, but it's kind of pointless now. The likes of iPlayer and Crunchyroll have got you covered. You only need a license if you're watching traditional channels live.

Many uni halls don't necasarily get good TV signal anyway - which was the case in my third year.

They like to blur the boundaries to disguise the fact that a television license is fundamentally nonsensical in the modern world but Crunchyroll doesn't stream its broadcasts on television (though it can on televisions via apps...) so it's not relevant to the license. And even the newest simulcasts don't come out at the exact same time as they do on Japanese TV, so don't let them trick you into thinking the license somehow applies in that case.

I wish they'd sort it all out as it's confusing that you can use services like iPlayer without a TV license if you avoid the live broadcasts, even though it would be completely reasonable to have to pay the television license to fund the BBC for their own content.

And yes, please support anime legally wherever you end up watching it. The industry needs everyone to pull their weight.

R

Though it's still free to support legit streams which use ads, and the industry benefits.

A little off topic here but I suspect that (in the west) anime suffers by virtue of being most popular with people in their teens and early 20s, then most of them move on to new hobbies by the time they're actually earning enough to buy. Monetising these younger cash-strapped fans in other ways seems like the best solution in the absence of a way to clone the dwindling older fans.

R

Rui said:
Though it's still free to support legit streams which use ads, and the industry benefits.

R

Yes. Please do this. A year's Crunchyroll subscription is also only £40 if you don't like the ads. (they might even do a student deal, I can't remember). Whatever you do, don't waste your money on Animax though.

st_owly said:
A year's Crunchyroll subscription is also only £40 if you don't like the ads.
You don't have to worry about adverts on the free stream at the moment as it seems that their whole ad service has been wiped (some are reporting seeing adverts over in the CR forums, but I haven't seen an advert running for over a week).

Also you don't need a TV license if all you do is watch videos and view streams over the internet as it's only needed for watching live TV and live TV streams from the internet.

This may or may not be controversial, as some consider it a moral grey area, but if you hate waiting and/or want HD, but can't afford a CR subscription, it might be worth checking what's on streaming services in other countries.

Daisuki tend to get a lot of big shows for weird territories, and a lot of the bigger shows stream on multiple services in the US (some without delay), so you may be able to watch some that way.

owari said:
id rather buy dvds than pay for streaming

That's all well and good but with DVDs you're paying upwards of £20 on something you may not have seen so you don't know if you like where as if you have a Crunchyroll pas you're paying £5 a month to stream as many shows as you like so not only is it less of a monetary gamble, if you don't like one show it isn't going to cost you another £20+ to try another. It has has simulcasts so you can see shows that won't make it to DVD for at least a year in most cases, if not more. I love buying Blu Rays for shows and owning physical copies but at this point I'd be lost without my Crunchyroll subscription.

Like others have said, you don't need a TV license for Crunchy or for anything bar live TV broadcasts so don't let them pressure or scare you into thinking you have to, cause it's bull.
I don't have a TV license and refuse to do so when all I do is stream Crunchy and Netflix on my TV. They can't do anything so don't worry and get on that five/six quid a month Crunchyroll membership, it's worth it & helps this industry that we love.

i just dont like streaming services from crunchyroll. i preffer solid copies that i can access as long as i have the required equipment compared to needing an internet connection anyway. And theres anime i wanna watch that i cant find on crunchyroll so whats the point? ill suppourt by buying manga and dvd for series i enjoy or want to check out. And wouldnt buying a dvd directly from the studio be more suppourtive anyway?

owari said:
i just dont like streaming services from crunchyroll. i preffer solid copies that i can access as long as i have the required equipment compared to needing an internet connection anyway. And theres anime i wanna watch that i cant find on crunchyroll so whats the point? ill suppourt by buying manga and dvd for series i enjoy or want to check out. And wouldnt buying a dvd directly from the studio be more suppourtive anyway?

There's lots of point! as the comments about Crunchy are directed to the fansubs you've admitted to watching, (& if it's not on Crunchy, it might be on Viewster, Animax or Netflix, very few airing shows aren't available legally in the UK. IMO the only reason where fansubs are okay is when the show is legally not available in the UK, I believe that to be the only legit reason to use them) not your DVD purchases.

It's great that you support the industry via DVD purchases, it's more than many but all we're saying is take a streaming service into consideration :) as using fansubs gives nothing back to the hobby and only hurts it.

While there may be shows on that aren't on CR that you want to watch, there are plenty on there so there is probably at least a handful of things on there you might want to watch.

I find it hard to believe there's nothing on Crunchyroll you want to watch, I can think of hours and hours of stuff just at the most popular end of the page. I imagine you'd be looking at months worth if I was to properly go through and make a list.

The anime industry isn't just one faceless unit, too. It's not fair if you download subs (which are usually copies of Crunchyroll's translations in the first place...) of one series but buy a different one later on DVD. If you watch 100 episodes of Fairy Tail via fansubs (or let's be honest and call them what they actually are - via stream rips) then buy a £9.99 DVD of Ghost in the Shell then you're not really helping the people who created FT at all, you're just leeching off their hard work and selectively rewarding yourself. Fans who do love and support anime will rightfully challenge you if your reaction to such things is to defend your inherently indefensible position. If you don't want to pay the creators just be honest with yourself and keep your chat about stream rips off the board.

You can watch most shows on Crunchyroll, Viewster etc for free these days, the fact that you prefer DTO limits you to a few providers but it's still entirely possible, and lack of availability isn't carte blanche to screw the people who make this stuff over. I mean, I'd prefer to have a job which paid 10x more and sent me to Japan every month, but that doesn't give me an excuse to embezzle money and do whatever I like.

R

Back