tv licence

Most of my fav shows aren't available in the west but I will probably buy the Japanese blu rays if I am in the financial position to do so. There are a handful of shows on crunchyroll I want to watch but we really need funimation over here. Half of the shows I am watching this season are funi. While it may not be fair for me to have watched the first season of SAO illegally, I'm not wasting my money on a show that I don't think is very good.

You must have seen some value in it though if you wanted to watch it enough that you would track down an illegal means to consume it though, even if you ended up disliking it?

What if you put in a hard day's work and someone came up to you and said you weren't getting paid because they thought what you had done sucked. Now imagine being the staff behind SAO. People deserve to be paid for the work they do.

Well yes they do but the amount they would have got from me watching on crunchyroll or even buying non-aniplex blu rays would have been very insignificant. There is this argument constantly going on over at MAL. Somebody linked to this study that found that people who both pirate and watch things legally spend the most money. I know that I am not entitled to entertainment and I do feel kinda bad about it but I help as much as I can. Until recently, having a crunchyroll account would have been pointless because I didn't have any internet devices upstairs in my 2 bedroom house so that I can get away from 2 brothers XD. I do have a ps3 now (which I admit was £100 that could have been pumped into the anime industry) so I'll get crunchy this year and hope that the shows I actually like turn up there.
Without piracy though I would have never got into anime fully. There are quite a few shows on crunchyroll that I do quite like but also loads of stuff that I have 0 interest in. Without me pirating kara no kyoukai last year, I would have never really really got into anime and really wanted to buy MVM's boxset. I kept checking this website for updates and it made me really want to start collecting anime so I did with the small ammount of disposable income I get. Sure I shouldn't be consuming so much anime and I'm not going to get any more services outside of crunchy (netflix is really expensive, I wish there was a yearly rate) but I'm doing the best I can and my love of anime keeps growing.

black1blade said:
Well yes they do but the amount they would have got from me watching on crunchyroll or even buying non-aniplex blu rays would have been very insignificant. There is this argument constantly going on over at MAL. Somebody linked to this study that found that people who both pirate and watch things legally spend the most money. I know that I am not entitled to entertainment and I do feel kinda bad about it but I help as much as I can. Until recently, having a crunchyroll account would have been pointless because I didn't have any internet devices upstairs in my 2 bedroom house so that I can get away from 2 brothers XD. I do have a ps3 now (which I admit was £100 that could have been pumped into the anime industry) so I'll get crunchy this year and hope that the shows I actually like turn up there.
Without piracy though I would have never got into anime fully. There are quite a few shows on crunchyroll that I do quite like but also loads of stuff that I have 0 interest in. Without me pirating kara no kyoukai last year, I would have never really really got into anime and really wanted to buy MVM's boxset. I kept checking this website for updates and it made me really want to start collecting anime so I did with the small ammount of disposable income I get. Sure I shouldn't be consuming so much anime and I'm not going to get any more services outside of crunchy (netflix is really expensive, I wish there was a yearly rate) but I'm doing the best I can and my love of anime keeps growing.

Your history with Crunchyroll reminds me of my early days into anime. Due to my internet's dial up connection (50KB/s download speed!) streaming was pretty much impossible for me to use so I ended up going for downloads (or asking a friend to do it for me) with certain shows. Heck at the time I didn't even know that Nichijou was on Crunchyroll given I waited 60 hours straight for the download. Just before Uni I found out more about Crunchyroll (and this forum) and got a subscription!

Oh nichi is is on crunchy. Planning on watching that sometime. Definitely going to wait until getting crunchy to watch HxH. Downloading 150 episodes is just pain XD. Shame that older shows aren't that available on streaming platforms. Classics like eva and bebop should be available for all.

black1blade said:
Oh nichi is is on crunchy. Planning on watching that sometime. Definitely going to wait until getting crunchy to watch HxH. Downloading 150 episodes is just pain XD. Shame that older shows aren't that available on streaming platforms. Classics like eva and bebop should be available for all.

I should add that Nichijou is no longer on Crunchyroll due to the streaming rights being expired. :|

Like people have said you don't need a license for streaming services like netflix or crunchyroll, you don't even need one for live streams like Twitch.tv. You only need a license to watch TV broadcasts as they are being shown on TV.

I was alot like you and all about the fansubs. I eventualy got bored of checking who's doing which shows, waiting for them to release and being dropped half way through. Crunchyroll makes things alot easier and if their not doing a show you can always go back to Fansubs. I actualy think Fansubs are concentrating on more obscure titles because of this, which is a good thing all round if more shows get subbed.

black1blade said:
Well yes they do but the amount they would have got from me watching on crunchyroll or even buying non-aniplex blu rays would have been very insignificant.
I don't think any contribution is truly "insignificant", it may be tough to see the value in your contribution when it's just one out of a huge number but any huge number is made up of a whole lot of ones. I think, if you're contributing at all then it's something to be proud of. I'd say it's better to be on the team of people trying to help anime survive than to stand aside and leave it to others.

I don't think people could really ask for more than doing your best, as long as you're being honest with yourself about what your best really is. Maybe also relevant, if your circumstances happen to change some day then maybe you'll be in a better position to try and "give something back" by picking up legal copies of those shows you enjoyed in the past. Even if you don't necessarily want them for yourself, maybe you could pass them on to others and try to create new fans to keep the industry going.

Or whatever really, at the end of the day you're the only one who can decide what you'll do.

This might be over-generalising things, but I find that when most people get into their mid-20s / get a job, they generally stop pirating, as they start to fully realise the value of money/work and also simply don't have the time to track down illegal means of consumption when legal means are usually much quicker.

For the last few months I've actually been trying to persuade my Mum to not continue or Sky subscription when it comes up for renewal and to just tell the TV licensing people to stuff it. I currently pay £11 a month for memberships to both Crunchyroll and Netflix, which pretty much fills the needs of all my family; especially as Mum cancelled the Sky Sports subscription anyway.

Back