Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake!!

Tachi- said:
oh shii

didn't know there was a nuke plant out there - struggling to maintain cooling levels..... this could have the potential to spread across oceans.

i remember a chat i had with a few squady mates i have about spread areas. if iraq was ever nuked then the spread affect area would leak radiation as close as france. i wasn't sure on it but if its true the japan nuke plant may just spark things in other countries :(

and no JUMP next week then.... bollocks.
Edit, they're low on water (as in the stuff the fuel rods are in).

I assume the cooling system for that water has failed (or the pressurising system), so it's boiling off. without being relpaced.
It's a closed system (the reactor core breaching would be big, big news) they need to restore whatever it uses as a heat sink to working order. Normaly the heating of the water used to drive the turbines.
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressurized_water_reactor for diagram.

Stuart-says-yes said:
http://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/statuses/46255107595177984
BBC News said:
Tokyo Electric Power Co: pressure inside reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant rising; risk of radiation leak, from Reuters

What we've all been fearing :?
That's also imposible, pressure CANNOT rise too far in a conventional nuclear reactor (there's a failsafe). It sound's like it's too low in Reuters version.
Yup they're resorting to the safety valve.

Tachi- said:
and no JUMP next week then.... bollocks.

Hows about worrying about whether the writers are actually okay?

I can't believe at a time like this people can worry about how a magazine wont get released.

My thoughts are with Japan today.

Stuart-says-yes said:
I hate to say this, despite how socially correct it is to be concerned about others caught up in a natural disaster, as bad as this sounds, worrying isn't going to do anything for the japanese, it isn't going to provide them shelter or food or water, so it doesn't really matter if tachi- worries about them or not, at the end of the day, it won't change the situation the japanese are in. Unless of course you donate money, but out side that there isn't much we can do.

Also troll's seemed to be posting on googles victim list thingy that Oda was dead, which sparked a reply from the man himself confirming he is actually alive, as is Kubo.

And yeah - worrying may not to do anything, but I still feel it's just ridiculously inappropriate. I'm certainly far more concerned with Japan getting through this with as few injuries/fatalities as possible. If I'm honest, before it was mentioned here I hadn't even considered Jump.

To anyone who follows JRock; All of Luna Sea are okay, Dir en Grey are okay, Miku [Ex-An Cafe] is okay, Yoshiki [X Japan] is okay, Gackt and many of his band (If not all) are okay. No news from Anna Tsuchiya despite today being her birthday, which worries me somewhat - but hopefully she's okay. She does apparently live in Tokyo (according to facebook) though, so I'll be watching her blog for an update.

Tell you what though, if Oda died I would have lost a bit of myself right now. That's a horrifying thought. I imagine Anna is fine, she seems like she has enough cash to get herself a decent apartment in an structurally sound-building.

(I accept the offensiveness of caring about one person more than another/nameless, but its human nature. I think. Or something. I feel bad.)

Godot said:
Reaper gI said:
Reactor problems looking worse, evacuation is now at 10k radius.
Possible leak.

Where did you read the 10k? This says 3k.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219
Reuters, got upped when it started to look leaky.
up to 8x normal radiation level outside the plant, and 1000x inside the control room
http://twitter.com/REUTERSFLASH/status/46319461652901888

BBC gave it at 2131 on their feed:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

3 more reactors now have cooling issues

and not to worry you but i did just wake up from a nap involving a nuclear meltdown, but that happened in the NW of england XD

Geez, this is pretty major. I'm confident a country like Japan can recover quickly from the damage caused to their infrastructure, but my thoughts go out to those who've lost someone.

Also looks as though it's going to set the case for nuclear power (pretty much the only hope for humanity being able to consume as much energy as it wants without destroying the environment) back about 25 years.

Stuart-says-yes said:
The strangest thing is it wasn't reported till almost two hours after it happened. Media censorship?

Maybe they had more important things to report? Maybe communications are slow due to the various natural disasters they have just suffered? Not everything is censorship.

Pictures on NHK news show the upper half of one of the buildings has collapsed rather than exploded. If it was really like chernobyl as some doom-mongering press have claimed then even within 10km people would be getting radiation sickness. Radiation levels would be millions of times normal.

Its certainly not going to affect new reactors in the UK, we don't suffer 8.9R earthquakes very often.

ANN have compiled a list of organisations collecting relief funds, as can be seen on their front page.
The British Red Cross has yet to follow the actions of their American counterpart, though I was able to submit a donation through one of the other options listed.

Zin5ki said:
ANN have compiled a list of organisations collecting relief funds, as can be seen on their front page.
The British Red Cross has yet to follow the actions of their American counterpart, though I was able to submit a donation through one of the other options listed.

The British Red Cross are now running an appeal. It can be found here:

http://www.redcross.org.uk/japantsunami ... _blogjapan

I had to donate through another option as well but now that Japan is accepting international assistance, the Red Cross has got into gear with this appeal.

I fear that the flavour of PR the relevant authorities are used to sustaining is not best suited to informing a global audience of an emergency situation. Thence the disparity between reports.

Back