To buy a DS or PSP

Chib said:
Sorry, I thought that you thought that FFVII was coming out for the PSP. Just didn't wnat you getting your hopes up. :)
Well, technically it will with the PS1 emulation service Sony are launching later this year.

But to answer the topic, all around I personally prefer PSP. Since whenever I travel(I go by train everyday) I can watch anime, and you can't beat that, right? :wink: Though you'd be wanting to buy a pretty big memory stick to take advantage of that.. and they're not the cheapest things in the world lol. For a strictly games only device I'd point you at the DS, it has by far the best selection at this point in time, and I was addicted to Tetris DS online for a while. ;) PSP is catching up in that sector though, with MGS, FFVII:CC, etc coming. Though I guess it's your choice really. Check out some trailers of the games you'd want to buy, think if you would use any of the handheld's features, or whatever and then you should be able to come up with an answer.

I like my Nintendo DS with Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Best game I've played this and last year.

Still, I'm not in it for the format. I'm in it for the games...

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Both formats have there good and bad games, though some may argue that the DS has more, but as I said, it depends on what you're after...

The only problem with the much touted PSP video playing function is that you have to bloody convert everything! I mean, one episode on a DVD to a PSP-compatible file, on my fairly modern but not superb computer, take the best part of 4/5 hours to convert. (Then you have to worry about subs for some anime, and what about getting the VOBs (DVD Video files) off the DVD in the first place! Some episodes aren't even naturally separated VOB-wise on the DVD, so you'll be looking to split them by hand. Then you need to rejoin the audio, resync it, time the subs..... Jeeze, the list just goes on!)

And! For the price of a PSP, save yourself the hassle and buy a DS, for your games (much better games on the DS anyway), and a Portable DVD player for your anime!

And (2)! If you are confident with all that video conversion stuff, chances are your phone, or your next phone, will be able to play these files back anyway. Or, if games aren't your thing, you can bag a decent PDA for the same price as a PSP.

Frankly, I know people aregue they buy a PSP for the video, but it's not really an excuse! The PSP is an over-priced jack of all trades, master of none.

adamcube said:
And (2)! If you are confident with all that video conversion stuff, chances are your phone, or your next phone, will be able to play these files back anyway. Or, if games aren't your thing, you can bag a decent PDA for the same price as a PSP.
quote]

This is a valid point I have a Nokia N70 which supports real player files and I have a few anime episodes on its memory card (upgraded from original small card) to keep me entertained at work on day shift, although screen is small so quality isn't good enough for subs, dubbed eps only

hey mcicy
judging from your avatar and sig, it ake it you really like Bleach. also you stated that you want to get a psp for the bleach games.
i thought you may be interested as Bleach 2 for the DS is comming and the first one imo pwned the PSP ones miles away (and i cant stop playign m ine sometimes). and the second game has even got a side-scrolling mode!
check out the pics here http://www.the-magicbox.com/0607/game060720c.shtml

^That is a good suggestion, but it really depends on your taste. The DS Bleach game is more like a traditional 2D fighter(it IS made by Treasure afterall, anyone played Yu Yu Hakusho for megadrive? They made that too, and it's very similar to the Bleach game. Treasure are, btw, one of the greatest developers ever! Ensures quality) whereas the PSP games are more like your general 3D cel-shaded anime games. I prefer the PSP games because I hate 2D fighters, I'd say it's because of their stiffness and slow pace, but it really comes from the fact that I was never good at street fighter, and used to get beaten by, well, everyone. The first PSP Bleach game is terrible though.. barely any characters. I'd skip straight to 2 or wait for 3. Also, and I don't mean to sound like a graphics whore but I have to say, Bleach PSP looks great. The character models are almost identical to the anime.

This was, of course, a useless post which had nothing to do with the actual topic.. carry on.

the PS1 emulator to be released onto the PSP by sony is interesting, but i doubt that would change my mind much..since i have already got FFVII on the original PS1 and it still works fine along witht he PS1 we have so i don't see a reason to get this one. if the remake on the PS3 is ever put into construction then i may get that if the price of the PS3 comes reasonable. erm more on topic..one of the main reasons i got the DS was advance wars: Dual strike..it is great and the playability lasts for ages. we didn't bother getting liberty city stories for the PSP since it was released on the PS2..i don't think i will get vice city stories either..cause i think that will be released on the PS2 as well..so i don't see much point in the PSP other than for music and the UMD movies.

depends.. if you don't midn cost, and want a greater varity of thinsg to do (i.e. not just play games), the PSP is better. If you are looking for something cheaper with a greater range of games the DS is what you are looking for.

I own both a DS Lite and a PSP. I payed $220 CDN for my PSP(110 Pounds) and $150 for my DS Lite(75 Pounds). And when I got my PSP it was beautiful... The DS Lite on the other hand wasn't, In Canada it was only avalible in White and mine had the Evil of Dead Pixels, So I returned it to the retailer I purchased it from and got another Dead Pixeled one. So I returned it agian and got a good one.

Though you've already made your decision I think it was the wrong one. The PSP has great titles in store and it's conectivity with the PS3(Which you UKers are getting ripped off on blame that on Sony Europe).

The PSP's game seem to be larger then the DS's. What I mean by this is that they feel empty not like something like Daxter for the PSP.

The Opera Browser for the DS is a rip-off. And really I think Nintendo riped off the World on the Lite. Like Nintendo could have included the DS Lite Rumble Pack, because anyone who was going to buy that would own a lite. Heck raise the Price to $200 CDN so the price can be changed from the Original DS. The Opera Browser is a rip-off because it's costs like $50 CDN(25 Pounds roughly like the other prices) where it could have been in a Bundle.

welp, I've had a PSP for about 6 months... and this is my opinion...

The games admittedly already have been on PS2, but come on guys, the companies know they are not pleasing the consumer if they do a direct port, so perhaps a different storyline or something...

PSP has original titles as well and with the very few that it does, they rock! Daxter rocks man! Tales of Eternia is a reeeeally cool RPG, I dont see DS coming out with PES 5 lol though its a port, I'd love to be playing PES 5 on a portable anyday!! hehe

Loading times suck for most psp games, but as newer games come out, this is being put to an end so no worries.

I use my PSP a lot for music as well, I have a few samurai champloo eps on my stick. The 4GB and 8GB Sticks are coming out soon so the price for 512mb 1GB and 2GB sticks will drop very soon, and this will be very cool coz it means more consumers are able to add more media on the PSP device

UMD Movies are ****, and deserve to be burned I mean WTF!! lol

PSP has a lot of homebrew stuffs meaning it can sneak into the nintendo area and get some games playing on there hehehe

DS has a LOT of original titles, at very good prices, its a good console for gaming

I think it depends on the person really... PSP is good with Games and Media

DS is pure gaming... its your choice

lol ok who am I saying this 2?? hehe ahhh wateva! lol thas jus my views

chaos-unleashed said:
DS is pure gaming... its your choice

Too bad that isn't true... As Nintendo seems threaten enough by the PSP to create the Play-Yan attactment for Music, also Nintendo Opera Browser is again another attachment for the Internet.

Both of which the PSP can do out of the box without any $40+ Attachements.

since play-yan was for the GBA SP that doesn't count and nintendo arn't releasing an internet browser, opera are which is third party so neither relate to the DS wanting to be like the PSP. just had to clear that up.

each to their own

Yes but doesn't it have to be liscened by Nintendo first? Nintendo could just say no thanks you. Anyways the only way to get the browser is through Ordering it from Opera's Site which is in Japanese.

The Price of the DS's Cards are already more money the the PSP's UMD so why would anyone want to give it more memory to raise it's creation price up more?

Back