To buy a DS or PSP

Cyburn

Student Council President
I am thinking of either getting a DS or a PSP for uni, but I cant decide which to get.
I had a DS previously, but I sold it back in November, but due to the much better range of games for the DS (mario kart, sonic rush) I am tempted to get a DS again.

However the PSP, has more to do, e.g. watch videos, play music etc...

Well, what kind of games do you like? If rpgs, then you're in for a pickle. If gory stuff, then psp is the one, if you want completely oiginal [eg.nintendogs, animal crossing], ds is your man.

And wondering why rpgs is in a pickle because DS have children of mana, pokemon and final fantasy 3, while psp have tale of eternia and the upcoming ff7: crisis core.

Unless you're after some of the PSP killer apps (the upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops comes to mind) DS is probably better.

When it comes to Music, you can get a decent MP3 player relatively cheap these days and it'll do what you want in a much smaller and more conveniant package.

Movies I can't really see anyone making much use of that feature but YMMV. It DOES make for a pretty good portable movie player with that screen. Personally I'd just stick to watching proper DVD movies on laptop / whatever you've got.

tbh unless you want games that come out for ps and ps2 with lower graphics i'd go with the DS. I have both but only bought the psp for importing US anime games

DS>>>PSP.

What is a PSP!? it's just a Playstation Portable. Sony are rip-offs, see E3 for details.

DS has better interaction and better games, trust Nintendo for substance and not stuff which looks nice.

You'll not be at a loss if you have either of them, and anyone who has both wouldn't let either one go to waste. Personally though, I'm set on the DS. It just has the games that I'm looking for in a handheld console, or any console for that matter. A Pre-Playstation, non-BS-spinoff FF, Yoshi's Island 2, more Mario than you can shake a wrench at and all the rest. Plus, if I get really rich I can get one of those movie-playing Flash-Card using whatchamacallits and replicate the functionality of the PSP on the DS's slightly inferior screen.

If you really want an accurate view of which to buy, don't ask people because they're not the ones who are wondering which you buy, you are. Go to a website like www.gametrailers.com and check out game footage for the major titles each handheld is offering, also find a few fansites for each of the two and see which upcoming games may be coming over to them.

Finally check out the hardware itself after you're done inspecting the software by making sure you will find the button layouts and such comfortable. I don't know about you but playing Metroid Hunters on my DS really killed my hands after an hour plus playing Coded Arms on my PSP really killed my left thump with that awful excuse for an analog stick.

To be honest..the DS is better than PSP when it comes to games in general, bigger range of decent-good games on the system now plus the likes of FF3 and children of mana are going to be good buys if you are an RPG kinda guy. PSP yes ahs some good games, and some on the way like Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, but they have become more used for movies and music than games.

I have decided to get a DS Lite instead of a PSP for my birthday next week.

My reasons:
*DS games are shorter, yet have more replay value than PSP games.
*PSP is too expensive at moment and too many games are PS2 ports.

I may get either Mario Kart DS or Sonic Rush

Personally, the DS, any day of the week. Everyone I know that has a PSP barely uses it any more, having gotten bored of it after a month or two. The only thing that interests me in the PSP is the stuff you're not supposed to do with it. The DS on the other hand has offered me hours of fun.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours, but if you want an expensive all-round multimedia device that also plays games, get a PSP, and if you want a pure gaming machine get a DS.

You'll have a helluva lot more fun with a DS. Personally, with the revision of the Lite, the New Super Mario Bros game, a tonne more mentioned at E3 (read. FF3 [OMFG 3D], Zelda: Phantom Hourglass) and an Opera web browser out in September, for the same price as just the PSP base console, you can have a fantastically equipped and fun piece of hardware.

DS all the way, man!

It depends what will you use the console for? I generally use games consoles for "games only" so I go for the DS and besides it's a lot cheaper then the PSP. The PSP can watch movies, though I think it's a waste since you rather buy DVD's and watch it on a big screen, then buy UMD's which is the same price as DVD's and watch on a small screen. As for music and photos, I use my mobile phone, so I don't need a PSP.

Oh, you already decided on the DS? cool ^^

I just got my Black DS Lite with Sonic Rush and Mario Kart DS for £140

I am now happy with the world, way better than wasting money on a portable PS2

glad to here that!
i own both and i have not touced my psp in months. My DS however, jump! Superstars, and Bleach DS, have been keeping me occupied nicely over the months. and i have even started playing mario 64 ds again..

cant wait to get some more DS games.

Its a tough decision dude, I went for the PSP for these main reasons:
1. Bleach is getting a Europe release (English menus)
2. Grand Theft Auto Vice City
3. Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories
4. Movies
5. Games/movies/music on your memory card (hand when you don't wanna carry discs around)
6. Final Fantasy VII is planned for release onto it (Fave Fantasy game EVER)

Although I will give you the fact that the DS has tons more games, you have to decide more on the fact of what games do you wanna play and what is it gonna be used for. Movies are good but they do drain the battery.

Back