Tin Foil Haberdashery!

Captaaainuniverse

Time-Traveller
the Tin Foil Haberdashery is for those things that might be a good idea, may work out but aren't entirely likely to see the light of day. they are my thoughts on whether something could or should happen, and may contain spoilers for a series and I appreciate a discussion on the subjects brought up. that said get your most fashionable length of aluminium foil!
Ergo Proxy: the live action series!
the topic of the day: Ergo Proxy, and it's possible reboot as a live action series
220px-Ergo_Proxy_Set_1_cover.jpg

In the current animated series there is loads of philosophical stuff on one's existence, purpose, and identity, so much in some parts of the series it's hard to follow at times. a criticism I do have about the series is that some scenes look very dated in their animation, like one with Monad ripping through a shopping centre and the crowd seemingly doing nothing in reaction to many of them being killed, this would of course look more natural if those people were running around screaming their pants off.
the story is good, the characters have something to them, but maybe it'd need an update to get a following again, then I thought how are a few anime series updated these days? A live action show! I could totally see it being possible.

I do think the west could handle this, as the first city, Romdeau is first shown with English text on the screens around the city, it is vibrant and advanced, like how many forward - facing European countries see their future, this I believe is also reflected in the people, we are mostly exposed to Re-L Mayer to show the people of the city
real-not-happy.jpg

to me, her looks could easily be met by a white actress with pale/Gothic make up. most of the cast in this city seem that they would be white, with personalities that seem to be from all over Europe. proxy one created these people, and although most proxies look dark - skinned, it seems he would fall into what would be considered European or British (that is, of course, because British men make for some of the best scheming villains)
proxy-one-ergo-proxy-8.69.jpg

the AutoRievs in most of the series would be head - to toe costume like Iggy
latest

most AutoRievs could be played by anybody. one particular actor of note though would play Iggy himself. after it is revealed that Iggy contracted the Cogito Virus his character pulls a 180, the only thing he has in common his earlier Cogito - free self is his urge to protect Re - L, so it would help if he was played by someone with good range.

two actors will play three characters each.
the first is the actress that will play Re - L
tumblr_o26jls2Aue1tlizyuo1_500.gif

her clone, "Real" Mayer
8e4acf00f27d1354825a347140e34539--ergo-proxy-bath.jpg

and due to the fans often suggesting that Re - L herself is a clone of Monad, she may also play the insane Monad and show some simular features, though after the experiments performed on her, she looks very different
latest

the second will be the actor playing Vincent Law
4758-1433729122.jpg

And this will be quite a difficult one to do, Ergo Proxy and Proxy One
latest

Ergo differs slightly in personality to Vincent, and One and Vincent differ as much as pre and post Cogito Iggy

the only asian actor I see being in it would be MCQ
4758-339483923.jpg

it's the only episode that features kanji so much, MCQ seems like a huge TV personality on a gameshow, I'm guessing Japan still loves its gameshows. if the live action show is westernised, I'd still like the gameshow to look like it's from Japan

any thoughts on this? what actors would you like to see playing these characters? would you rather a japanese show then a western one?

something I find funny though is thinking about Iggy's actor in the scene where he analysis an infected AutoReiv's memory. you'll be watching a guy in what looks like rubbish pyjamas watching a box do nothing for 5 minutes while youngsters bicker
screenshot002.jpg

the next Haberdashery - Claymore: The Game!

EDIT: I've decided, rather then to clutter up the AUKN servers with different threads, the haberdashery will be a series of posts here, please write in bold to refer to a particular subject in these posts

Last edited:
Ergo Proxy live-action
if the live action show is westernised, I'd still like the gameshow to look like it's from Japan
Definitely. You know, that quiz show episode is one of my all-time favourite anime episodes. What a clever idea for delivering exposition.

It also takes me off guard being reminded of how Vincent looked back at the start of the series, with his slicked-down hair and closed eyes! I've never seen that idea used anywhere else, having a character's design "evolve" to allude to their gradually changing personality.

The costumes would be another important element for live-action. The designers nailed it for the pair of live-action Gantz films — the props as well.

In fact, could you see this being done as a pair of live-action films, Cap'n, à la Gantz or Death Note?

Has Death Note already been done as a live-action or am I thinking of something else?

Ergo Proxy live-action

Definitely. You know, that quiz show episode is one of my all-time favourite anime episodes. What a clever idea for delivering exposition.

It also takes me off guard being reminded of how Vincent looked back at the start of the series, with his slicked-down hair and closed eyes! I've never seen that idea used anywhere else, having a character's design "evolve" to allude to their gradually changing personality.

The costumes would be another important element for live-action. The designers nailed it for the pair of live-action Gantz films — the props as well.

In fact, could you see this being done as a pair of live-action films, Cap'n, à la Gantz or Death Note?
I think I heard that death note (Netflix) would be a trilogy (yes I'm in the school of thought that they ruined light and therefore the mindgames the anime and manga do so well) haven't heard anything on the second film though.
giving it a few films may be a good idea, but when I've thought about live action adaptions I always think of a series, it would give the production more time to focus on the development of plot and character, there's been so many things put to a live action film that feel like a rush job and that the director seems to have put too much in to get what they want

I was actually referring to the pair of Japanese Death Note films, which I rate very highly.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note_(2006_film)

Wow, I've not seen DN, but those actors really do look like the characters, fair play!

That said though, whenever there are "interpretations" of anything, I actually do like to see some artistic license too. It's kind of like cosplay - I do see lots of costumes that look like they were pulled from the anime, and they're REALLY good, but I always love to see a bit of originality on the part of the artist i.e just putting their own twist on the character's costume...

Definitely something for the recommendations list!

You should see how actor Kenichi Matsuyama portrays L. It's just outstanding; he captures his mannerisms so well.

Is he the eccentric guy who wears eyeliner and always assumes a crouched position?

don't listen to neil or lemon! if you must, I warn you do not binge in one sitting. one or two episodes of self - depreciation is fine, more then that you'd just feel horrible for the poor girl. when I heard it was on CR I binged the first four, then I would describe Wednesdays (the time it aired) as scheduled r***, like an experience you know you'll feel awful after but hey it's on a schedule !
I have made the time it was airing sound worse then it actually was but man single episodes are fine, if you're planning on binging it though hide all the sharp objects in your house from yourself and pack plenty of tissues or have someone with you who can tell you that life isn't completely horrible.
Oh yea I have the bluray too, so if I didn't like someone I could put them in a room... actually no not even my worst enemy deserves to feel that awful

don't listen to neil or lemon! if you must, I warn you do not binge in one sitting. one or two episodes of self - depreciation is fine, more then that you'd just feel horrible for the poor girl. when I heard it was on CR I binged the first four, then I would describe Wednesdays (the time it aired) as scheduled r***, like an experience you know you'll feel awful after but hey it's on a schedule !
I have made the time it was airing sound worse then it actually was but man single episodes are fine, if you're planning on binging it though hide all the sharp objects in your house from yourself and pack plenty of tissues or have someone with you who can tell you that life isn't completely horrible.
Oh yea I have the bluray too, so if I didn't like someone I could put them in a room... actually no not even my worst enemy deserves to feel that awful

On that basis then, I am ill-equipped to watch it - for I have no-one in my immediate vicinity who can tell me that life isn't completely horrible...XD

Got plenty of tissues though!

Back