Things/People that you find annnoying.

guess I'll stick to "that dude" :p I've heard custodian before, but I didn't realize it could mean "janitor" as well... I usually associated custodian to the financial definition..

Caretaker seems to be good enough =)

I really dislike the whole anti-American thing, particularly in the UK, but it's in Ireland, too. So, we are happy to use US electronics, US websites, US technology, we're happy to watch US sitcoms, dramas and reality series, we're happy to eat at McDonalds, KFC or Burger King ... but we're too 'proud' to use "American" words like "janitor" or "mom" or "closet". It's absurd and fairly moronic.

chaos said:
Do you have any power to fire people? If you did, I can picture you playing "Death note" with them, the way you talk of those poor souls.. =D

Indeed i can, unfortunately though......i can't fire someone for saying wanker on the fone to me :/
it'd be called unfair dismissal (stupid workers rights :lol:)

CitizenGeek said:
I really dislike the whole anti-American thing, particularly in the UK, but it's in Ireland, too. So, we are happy to use US electronics, US websites, US technology, we're happy to watch US sitcoms, dramas and reality series, we're happy to eat at McDonalds, KFC or Burger King ... but we're too 'proud' to use "American" words like "janitor" or "mom" or "closet". It's absurd and fairly moronic.
I guess it's kind of a natural reaction to be bombarded by american stuff then just want to keep at least a bit of the tradition. I tell you that from a brazilian perspective. Very soon after the independence, Brazil went through a big grammatical / spelling reform... Interestingly, now there is some sort of movement to get have a unified portuguese grammar worldwide, which will be implemented soon-ish. For the records, if I don't use formal portuguese, it's virtually impossible for me to communicate in Portugal, even though we speak the same language.
I agree that different grammar / spelling adds identity to a language, but most of the times I see it as a disadvantage on the ever evolving globalized world.

Tachi- said:
chaos said:
Do you have any power to fire people? If you did, I can picture you playing "Death note" with them, the way you talk of those poor souls.. =D
Indeed i can, unfortunately though......i can't fire someone for saying wanker on the fone to me :/
it'd be called unfair dismissal (stupid workers rights :lol:)
I can't see how that's unfair? She caused you emotional distress, if you were not a well balanced person, you could be hurting yourself or maybe others... It could even lead you to a nervous breakdown ;)

While I'm just kidding here, I think she is really selfish. So selfish, she complains about people trying to help her. :( unfortunately, it happens more than often.

yeah, if you check the thread "one word to explain your day" to hear about another staff member who's taking the piss. im practically dropped me in the shite.

CitizenGeek said:

Aside from Lost and Scrubs i avoid American television like the plague since....well it is, a stupid plague at least. I havent touched junk food in years and pratically all of my electronics have made in china stamped on it or is owned by a a japanese country. A trend that will continue considering the us economy is crashing at the mo whilst the chinese is booming.

To me its the feeling that we're losing our culture to america with the loss of our words. Ive forgotten the term but basically anything that happens in the us - happens over here x years later, its quite depressing really.
I mean its a bit of a kick in the teeth losing your own language ffs. Im fine with us buggering up our own culture and values, just dont let those outsiders on our laaaaaaaaaaaand!

I agree with the blind hated of americans that seems to be cool nowawdays, especially towards the americans that dont deserve it, they're not all the same but their government? It's almost as bad as ours.

CitizenGeek said:

You think so, huh? Well it's not the same thing. American terms are unnecessary and to use them is really quite pointless. The same applies for American resteraunts/products. They're hardly necessary, but you wouldn't go out of your way to look for a British Resteraunt/product, avoiding the American Resteraunt/product.

Deidara said:
CitizenGeek said:

You think so, huh? Well it's not the same thing. American terms are unnecessary and to use them is really quite pointless. The same applies for American resteraunts/products. They're hardly necessary, but you wouldn't go out of your way to look for a British Resteraunt/product, avoiding the American Resteraunt/product.

simple solution.....look for a chippy :thumb: :lol:

Tachi- said:
Deidara said:
CitizenGeek said:

Most chippy's are Chinese. (Not that I'm complaining! They taste Mmmm-worthy ^^)

Deidara said:
CitizenGeek said:

You got a problem with the American language, dawg?

Lupus Inu said:
Deidara said:
CitizenGeek said:

You got a problem with the American language, dawg?

I don't know whether to laugh that or not... "Learn to speak the Amerian Language" o_O

Deidara said:
Tachi- said:
Deidara said:
CitizenGeek said:

Most chippy's are Chinese. (Not that I'm complaining! They taste Mmmm-worthy ^^)

love chinese :thumb:

We invented America, so we succeed by default... in everything.

I dislike those women that are all over Manchester, y'know the Carribbean variety? with their unusual, often B.O convincing odours that make you want to to be sick.

Generalisations aside, I really hate public transport.

Fuckin' burrrrrrrrrrrrrrn.

Tachi- said:
Deidara said:
Tachi- said:
Deidara said:
CitizenGeek said:

love chinese :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QoA44c23A

I like Chinese! ;D

Kurogane said:

You're not being serious, are you?

Which reminds me of another thing I really, really dislike: Britons who are proud of their country's past Empire. I mean, how more moronic could you be? The British empire caused an insurmountable amount of suffering and oppression; anyone who is 'proud' of that is an idiot.

And what of America's patriotic nature? No ill feelings for that? Or has that been covered enough in this thread already?

Lupus Inu said:
And what of America's patriotic nature? No ill feelings for that? Or has that been covered enough in this thread already?

Americans are generally proud of the good things their country has done for it's people; like widespread freedoms and liberty; they appreciate the fact they their country has given them a good life. They're not particularly proud of their Middle East conquest or segregation. British people should be proud of the good things their country has done, rather than the bad (i.e. the empire.)

The "Hate America" thing is a fad. Those retards haven't even met one American. "The media told me that Americans are stupid, so it must be true! I'll blame them for the world's troubles instead of doing something about it!"

I've met loads of Americans and they were all very nice people.

CitizenGeek said:
Kurogane said:

You're not being serious, are you?

Which reminds me of another thing I really, really dislike: Britons who are proud of their country's past Empire. I mean, how more moronic could you be? The British empire caused an insurmountable amount of suffering and oppression; anyone who is 'proud' of that is an idiot.

Are you calling me an idiot?? :lol:

I dont really get why people care so much about the 'America' thing tbh but, meh, doesnt play a huge part in my life, where people used to claim to hate americans, they now say they hate emo's (around my area, anyway).

Back