The Wii is a Joke? Discuss

Negacion said:
Every game that you mention that is 'amazing' on those consoles will be one of those two genres.
Hey! I think Blue dragon is amazing but then it's been my first taste of a gaming genre that many people here think is utter awesomeness.

There are quite a few games exclusive to the Xbox360 that may still be defined as 'shooters' like Lost planet and Project Sylpheed that are unique and innovative in their own way. I don't buy a game unless it gives me a unique experience that I can't get from any other game I don't already own.

Arbalest said:
Whats so bad about zelda and mario? ok i do admit the whole thing with mario is a bit more OTT than i like, but i only go for the titles such as Mario Galaxy, and Zelda is easily going strong even now with the new titles it has. Just because the console has mascots, doesn't mean you have to actually buy the titles with them in it.
True enough, Xbox's mascot was clearly Master Chief but it took a long time after the 360 was released before they made him a place there. Even though they've only released 3 Halo games, only one of which for their new console, they've still well and truely over advertised all the other parts and equipment. Especially in America I hear, they used him to advertise products that had nothing at all to do with the Xbox. :x

Everyone has mascots, but it's nice to get some unique games. My sims looked like it could've been a great game, until I heard it has no internet access... it's a frikkin one character storyline single player. Even old sims fans would have a hard time enjoying it. To have an online sims game, with the funny wii graphics would have been a great seller but as usual they didn't utilise that area of the system.

I'm getting the feeling that what some people are saying about the power of the Wii is true. Only their simplest games are capable of going online cause the Wii might not be powerful enough to be a server for the bigger games like My Sims and can only support simple brain training games. Even the party games seem unsupported, since they seem to have little communication support and the idea is just to play them with a group on one console.

Question to those against the Wii:

Assuming the Wii is a joke, can someone please tell me why consumers and critics alike are loving the console, why Nintendo has once again risen to power thanks to the DS and Wii sales, and why Nintendo is the only company earning profits from each unit's sale?

I believe the Wii doesn't have a good enough selection of titles at the moment to warrant a long-term purchase. Personally there are only six games on the console currently released or announced which truly interest me, the rest seem to be the developer's pathetic attempts at using the gimmicks as cheap game mechanics. However do not be fooled, sooner or later the studios will straighten themselves out and begin focusing on games that take advantage of the Wii in a professional manner. Keep in mind the Wii is new to everyone, it's going to take some trial and error for people to see which games work and which games don't, but the Wii most definitely isn't a joke.

Nemphtis said:

Assuming the Wii is a joke, can someone please tell me why consumers and critics alike are loving the console, why Nintendo has once again risen to power thanks to the DS and Wii sales, and why Nintendo is the only company earning profits from each unit's sale?

I believe the Wii doesn't have a good enough selection of titles at the moment to warrant a long-term purchase. Personally there are only six games on the console currently released or announced which truly interest me, the rest seem to be the developer's pathetic attempts at using the gimmicks as cheap game mechanics. However do not be fooled, sooner or later the studios will straighten themselves out and begin focusing on games that take advantage of the Wii in a professional manner. Keep in mind the Wii is new to everyone, it's going to take some trial and error for people to see which games work and which games don't, but the Wii most definitely isn't a joke.

The answer is simple. The Wii strikes out to those who weren't really console players before.

I myself don't own a Wii but I'll probably buy one in the future, though I know I won't be using the Wii-mote, I'll stick with the controller. The creator of the new Super Smash Bros Brawl said the game plays best using a Gamecube controller, and that's what I like to use.

These disputes only arise because people buy a console and for some reason they have to justify their purchase of that console by downplaying the other consoles. I'd rather own all 3 consoles 8)

Zen 2nd said:
Nemphtis said:

The answer is simple. The Wii strikes out to those who weren't really console players before.

So critics weren't really console players before, they've been reviewing games on a plank all these years and only when the Wii finally came along did GameSpot employees throw away those pieces of wood and discover what a games console looks like? Your answer would be correct if the Wii only appealed to casual gamers, but the truth is that the Wii is such an insane success because it has appealed to both casual and hardcore gamers.

The Wii would not have reached this level of success with the casual market alone, although that's where the real money is there's no denying the influence and support the hardcore gamers can provide if they're happy with a product, and in my opinion the Wii turned out to be a great alternative which made it worth having more than one console. Do you think the Wii doesn't match your videogame lifestyle? Fair enough, I totally understand. But to consider the Wii a joke is purely ignorant at best.

So critics weren't really console players before, they've been reviewing games on a plank all these years and only when the Wii finally came along did GameSpot employees throw away those pieces of wood and discover what a games console looks like? Your answer would be correct if the Wii only appealed to casual gamers, but the truth is that the Wii is such an insane success because it has appealed to both casual and hardcore gamers.

I never said it didn't appeal or appeal to console players, so your only taking that as an assumption.

The Wii would not have reached this level of success with the casual market alone

Is that so? The Wii hits an age usage between 3 - 65+ years of age. With that in mind you should note that the casual market would totally outweigh console gamers. Its even Nintendo's marketing approach for the Wii, that they stated themselves, that they are aiming for the casual market.

although that's where the real money is there's no denying the influence and support the hardcore gamers can provide if they're happy with a product, and in my opinion the Wii turned out to be a great alternative which made it worth having more than one console. Do you think the Wii doesn't match your videogame lifestyle? Fair enough, I totally understand.

I just don't like the Wii-mote thats all.

But to consider the Wii a joke is purely ignorant at best.

Where did I say the Wii is a joke?

Just because I answered your question and even though you posed it to people to who thought the Wii was a joke I thought it was obvious from my answer that I did not think the Wii a joke, if I did why would I even think of buying one in the future?

Zen 2nd said:

I never said it didn't appeal or appeal to console players, so your only taking that as an assumption.

The Wii would not have reached this level of success with the casual market alone

Is that so? The Wii hits an age usage between 3 - 65+ years of age. With that in mind you should note that the casual market would totally outweigh console gamers. Its even Nintendo's marketing approach for the Wii, that they stated themselves, that they are aiming for the casual market.

although that's where the real money is there's no denying the influence and support the hardcore gamers can provide if they're happy with a product, and in my opinion the Wii turned out to be a great alternative which made it worth having more than one console. Do you think the Wii doesn't match your videogame lifestyle? Fair enough, I totally understand.

I just don't like the Wii-mote thats all.

But to consider the Wii a joke is purely ignorant at best.

Where did I say the Wii is a joke?

Just because I answered your question and even though you posed it to people to who thought the Wii was a joke I thought it was obvious from my answer that I did not think the Wii a joke, if I did why would I even think of buying one in the future?

The only part of my post that applied solely to you was my answer to your response. Everything else is just there to back up my views for those who are against it. Yes, Nintendo have stated their target is the casual market, I already know this. My point is that casual market or not, the long term success of the product also depends on the hardcore gamers.

If critics are saying it's awful, if your gamer friends are telling you it's the worst thing ever, that's going to have an impact on sales. I clearly stated that the casual market is obviously where the money is, but I also pointed out that the hardcore audience does have an affect on the matter. As for you never saying it did or didn't appeal to console players, that's how your quote comes across. As far as I understand you basically told me that casual gamers and critics only have a Wii because it's their first console experience. Read my question and read your response, that's how it adds up.

As for you never saying it did or didn't appeal to console players, that's how your quote comes across. As far as I understand you basically told me that casual gamers and critics only have a Wii because it's their first console experience. Read my question and read your response, that's how it adds up.

I said the Wii strikes out to those who weren't really console gamers before. The word to look out for is "strikes". Since it wouldn't strike out to a console gamer as they already know all about the Wii through E3 and as on. Sure it may have striked out to me a year ago but its not going to strike out to me on release day since I know what its all about and what it can do but a non-console player will be drawn in by the Wii-mote and such.

Of course gamers and critics know the Wii is a great console, I thought that was obvious but you seem to think I don't know that? :roll:

Zen 2nd said:
Of course gamers and critics know the Wii is a great console, I thought that was obvious but you seem to think I don't know that? :roll:

I've seen some pretty outrageous points of view on AUKN, it's only natural.

I see the Wii as an ok console its not one of those consoles you think OMFG :eek: i must have it. Some of the games for the Wii are pretty good for just a bit of time wasting. But for gamers who like a real challenge in gameing i dont think the wii gives that. After a couple of minutes of playing a game on the Wii you get bored pretty much straight away and just start thinking what other things better can you do. The Wii is pretty mcuh a console for family and friends.

Pomtry said:
I see the Wii as an ok console its not one of those consoles you think OMFG :eek: i must have it. Some of the games for the Wii are pretty good for just a bit of time wasting. But for gamers who like a real challenge in gameing i dont think the wii gives that. After a couple of minutes of playing a game on the Wii you get bored pretty much straight away and just start thinking what other things better can you do. The Wii is pretty mcuh a console for family and friends.

Although I do find the Wii to be an "OMFG I must have it" kind of console, and even though as a gamer I don't play it and think to myself what better things I can be doing with my time - the Wii's currently line-up isn't very good. Aside from their first party games the console doesn't have many good games available as compared to the Xbox 360 or even the PlayStation 3. You seem to have a problem with the Wii's selection of games, and I think it's only a matter of time until there's a larger selection of AAA titles available.

Well I'll make this short as I'm calling it day as ive got a busy day tommorrow but in summary:
Wii is my favourite console
360 is great as there are some great games on there too
PS3 has been messed up so bad by sony, no decent exclusives and the rest of the bad points list

360 and wii is the way I go - but mainly the wii - so no the wii is not a joke - the wii RULES!!!

Pomtry said:

i'm going with Nempthis on this a bit, but at the moment, the titles available at the moment for the Wii aren't all amazing titles at the moment, asides the likes of RE4, Zelda and Metroid(which i recently picked up), there isn't too much variety in brilliant games. Metroid i'd say is a good example, since if you remember the gamecubes ones, they where extremely good titles for that, and its does a good job on the Wii too. Its not easy, but not to hard, but there is harder difficulties for those that like a challenge(with most games), but even then, we still are waiting for the rest of the major titles to appear, this month in particular has RE: Umbrella Chronicles and Mario Galaxy, so it should be good.

My major problem with Nintendo is that they're are not creating any new Intellectual Properties not based on exisiting styles. I like playing Mario, but I want something new. I find it disturbing that by the end of 2007, Sony will have launched over 5 new series(Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm,Lair, Eye Of Judgement,etc.) not to mention the upcoming LittleBig Planet, Ecochrome, Everyday Shooter,etc., where as Nintendo will have one(Wii Life). Nintendo may make the gameplay innovative and new, but to me atleast, they're not making their games innovative and new. I want a gripping narrative tale that doesn't have anything to do with Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Starfox or Metroid.

I'll honestly admit, that I'm really regreting my purchase of my Wii, none of the games I own are new Properties, becuase there is just not any quality ones out.Even if I get a PS3, atleast I'll have something refreshing and not just a rehash from Sony, the same for the 360. Nintendo is really the most laging, as they're just living on their proven winners and not launching new innovative games.

I am a wii owner myself. I do agree that the wii wont have as many games or anything like that as other consoles may but its one of the funnest consoles thats out there, easy. Its a great system to play when mates are round (if you can fork out over £50 for a second controller) because its just funny watching each other flailing your arms around trying to box each other.

£50 for a controller :eek: I hope they're gold plaited Taylor. You can get a controler and nunchuck for less than £20.
You are right though, the console comes alive when playing with others. Just try not to knock each others teeth out. :wink:

I'm not going to make an intellectual contribution, I'm just going to say that the Wii is awesome. Simply because I have fun playing it, and when you play with other people they have fun too. End of justification!

Primus said:
(Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm,Lair, Eye Of Judgement,etc.)
Heavenly Sword is ******* terrible and Resistance was fairly decent, not played the rest, yet. ;/

Besides, I always say this, but let's wait until Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy comes up, then BAM, Nintendo will [attempt] to Aim for the Top! >_>

Lupus Inu said:
Primus said:
(Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance, Motorstorm,Lair, Eye Of Judgement,etc.)
Heavenly Sword is ******* terrible and Resistance was fairly decent, not played the rest, yet. ;/

Besides, I always say this, but let's wait until Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy comes up, then BAM, Nintendo will [attempt] to Aim for the Top! >_>

Thanks for not actually commenting on my post itself :? I said they were new IPs(Something Nintendo can't wrap their minds around), not critically aclaimed masterpieces(Although some have been) , and if you call Heavenly Sword(The game scored 8 or over in almost all reviews) terrible and Resistance(Getting 8s and 9s everywhere) decent(Despite not actually call Lair terrible, which it is, but atleast it's a new IP), than you clearly have some vendetta agasint Sony, or are one who only plays epic masterpieces, but then you said wait until Brawl, and Galaxy, yeah, epic masterpieces, not so much(Although previous iterations have been masterpieces, none have been epic in my opinon). Heck, I bet those games don't use voice actors for more than just grunts and squeels.

Back