The Wii is a Joke? Discuss

Ammish

Stand User
Sparked from the FF topic >.>

From what I seen in the topic, the Wii is seen more of a joke. I disagree.

For many reasons, one of them is Graphics. I hate high, fancy graphics. Its just another excuse to try and bring it to the real world, oh wow. I rather see original graphics, not some stupid photo realistic graphics that say "OMG, THIS CHARCTER LOOKS LIKES JOHNNY DEPP". I think Nintendo made the right choice by not gunning for high graphics, as the future of the developers will rely on High Photo realistic graphics

Seriously, I rather see games that take on like Okami. So Discuss, I'll find more stuff to talk about.

But everyone seem to care about Graphics, which I hate...

Personally I've never been that impressed with graphics, often the style is about preference. My favourite is Square Enix animated character graphics but that doesn't suit every game (or movie) and of course doesn't make any difference to the gameplay sections.

Most of my favourite games are older and have little or no special graphics and i like them because of the unique gameplay or excellent storyline.

I think the Wii has done a good thing with their cartoony 'me' graphics, it makes it more friendly and fun, rather than trying to reproduce your image in a realistic looking character.

Overall I think the Wii is a unique console that I would enjoy playing with a bunch of friends in a big open room, my house isn't a suitable location, too cramped and standing up and waving a controller around as I battle enemies would just give my family more reason to make fun of it and want to get rid of the console. Though I sure would like to try that Zelda game somewhere, but I've never played any others in the past. The direct control over each slash and attack is something I haven't seen since I played Silver on PC, where you controlled your character by holding ctrl and dragging your mouse across the screen so he mimics the various attacks.

Nintendo will always have that gift of making things..."different". Lets say the keep the gameplay, characters and other aspects of there games only the made the graphics "life-like"...It would somehow just ruin it's theme. To me, Nintendo will always be the most fun console out of itself, Microsoft and Playstation. They even impressed me with the Nun-Chuk control style which I thought would be a disaster.

The Wii has broken away in it's own genre of game play. Where as the PS3 has great graphics (I don't mind that option personally), I find myself in less control as I do with the Wii. Nintendo are heading off into the interactive field where as Sony are sticking with high visual effects approach. Must say, I'm torn between the two. I own both and use them equally. I'd definately not consider the Wii a joke, and I'd feel sorry for the people that do. I love throwing myself around when playing games. You don't have to take the games too seriously either. Not often that I get game rage from the Wiii. Nearlly had my PS3 controler threw the TV a few times though. Heh.

In the end, Nintendo have got the right idea with making the console user friendly. Never seen the parental units on the PS3, but had times where I couldn't get near my Wii for my Dad playing golf, or my Mom Operating on someone.

IMO Nintendo should never change ^_^

It's not a joke but the "wii" is for the family and if you have no one to play with it can seem a bit lonely.
But the only issue i have with it is the gimmicky controllers that seems to be it's only selling point and it's gonna start running out of ideas and start repeating old ones.

The reason I bought a Wii is because I one day hope that it will revitalise the click and point genres on a console platform, which I don't think hardly any click and points have gotten on to. It's always been limited to PCs, I love the point and click adventure genre.

I didnt pick a PS3 because: It doesn't have any good games. I didn't pick a XBOX 360 because: It has too many Shooting and Sports game in its library for my liking. Oh and I also got a Wii because it's pretty cheap compared to the other two, and it's future library looks pretty promising.

Hur hur hur wii.......

Anyways i wouldnt say it was a joke, its just accomodating itself to a different audience. You wouldnt compare a romance novel to a horror one so why should you compare the wii to the other next-gen consoles?
As i said in the FF forum my only worry with the wii is that it will encourage developers to create games more pick up and play games with the depth of a spoon rather than some epic storytelling and features. But hey other consoles are just as guilty with their titles so in retrospect i suppose that fear is unfounded.

Its a great console, its just not for me.

Though i am peeved that they're getting a sequel to Killer7. Maybe once the price has dropped some more i might consider getting one.

I enjoy using the wii because it is fun to play on especially when I go round my friend`s house and play wii sports. Its hillarious because we
use miis characters from phoenix wright which we made.

I think, that as a gamers console, the Wii is definately a joke. It's just not worth owning if you take games seriously.

The graphics debate is a bit ridiculous. Sure, games like Okami and Dragon Quest VIII are gorgeous and they don't rely on photorealism, but high quality visuals are definately needed in many games. Gears of War, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted are all stunning games that rely on photorealism. Also, the Nintendo fans that push this argument seem to be ignoring the fact that better visual capabilites (as in the 360 and PS3) can and will be conducive to better so-called 'stylised' games. Your precious (yet dreadfully boring!) Wind Waker wouldn't have been possible on N64!

Nintendo are even shutting down it's official forums, as if another two fingers up to gamers was needed!

The graphics look like crap. It's 2007...there's no excuse for them not to be at least 720p. Seriously...most PSP games I've played look sharper and more vibrant than Wii games (I use a component cable by the way). Super Paper Mario would look great in 720p, but in 480 it just looks dull and blurry.

Yeah, some of the games are fun and all, but I really think stuff like Twilight Princess (I seriously don't get how those graphics got so much praise) and Res Evil 4 isn't worth being enthusiastic about.

Graphics matter for me...if I'm spending money on a new game, I don't want something that looks as good as a 2001 PS2 game, with awkward controls bolted on.

I'd rather pay £10 more and get it for the 360....it's worth the extra money, and I won't have to watch a dot twitch around the screen while I want it to be still.

Say "the graphics don't matter" all you like...they matter to me, and Wii fails big style.

Aaron said:
The graphics look like crap. It's 2007...there's no excuse for them not to be at least 720p. Seriously...most PSP games I've played look sharper and more vibrant than Wii games (I use a component cable by the way). Super Paper Mario would look great in 720p, but in 480 it just looks dull and blurry.

Yeah, some of the games are fun and all, but I really think stuff like Twilight Princess (I seriously don't get how those graphics got so much praise) and Res Evil 4 isn't worth being enthusiastic about.

Graphics matter for me...if I'm spending money on a new game, I don't want something that looks as good as a 2001 PS2 game, with awkward controls bolted on.

I'd rather pay £10 more and get it for the 360....it's worth the extra money, and I won't have to watch a dot twitch around the screen while I want it to be still.

Say "the graphics don't matter" all you like...they matter to me, and Wii fails big style.

This is because of the PS2. As long as the PS2 survives, it will bring down the Wii. Because the developer can just port it to the wii, hence glitches and bad controls.

Without the PS2, surely you will see an improvement in the Wii capabilities.

I think, that as a gamers console, the Wii is definately a joke. It's just not worth owning if you take games seriously.

I take games seriously, and the Wii offers a great deal of games that 360 or PS3 will ever have...

What does PS3 have... Metal Gear Solid 4. I am not calling FFXIII a killer app, cause SE will mess that up.

360 only have Blue Dragon, Halo 3 and Lost Oddysey.

Nintendo wii offers Mario Galaxy, Metroid prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Bleach Wii (okay, maybe I like it) and Nights: journey of dreams.

They offer more than other consoles, and I'm a serious gamer

Apparently people equate the term 'serious gamer' to 'eats anything that's blinged out with hi-definition graphics and thinks they're the best games ever' around here somehow.

stunning games that rely on photorealism
Yeah, that's the problem. They solely rely on the fact that they're hi-def, they use it as an excuse to not have new and innovative gameplay.

Chrono Demon said:
I take games seriously, and the Wii offers a great deal of games that 360 or PS3 will ever have...

What does PS3 have... Metal Gear Solid 4. I am not calling FFXIII a killer app, cause SE will mess that up.

Nintendo wii offers Mario Galaxy, Metroid prime 3, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Bleach Wii (okay, maybe I like it) and Nights: journey of dreams.

They offer more than other consoles, and I'm a serious gamer

Your attitude is crazy, Chrono Demon. You're only looking at it from your (obviously Nintendo-biased) POV and pretending it applies to gaming in general. It most certainly does not.

Negacion said:
Apparently people equate the term 'serious gamer' to 'eats anything that's blinged out with hi-definition graphics and thinks they're the best games ever' around here somehow.

Typical Nintendo fan response alert!

Yeah, that's the problem. They solely rely on the fact that they're hi-def, they use it as an excuse to not have new and innovative gameplay.

And, how many Wii games have been actually innovative? What makes you think that there's no such thing as visual innovation? Do you have such a narrow-minded Nintendo-centric view of what innovation is?

CitizenGeek said:

I suppose games such as Metroid, for example, are not serious at all, because, well hey, they're on the Wii.
Are you referring to the fact that it's a joke because the 'controller' is the wiimote?
If that is your argument as to why it's a 'joke', then I find that as pathetic as the graphics argument :\ So what if you have to swing it about and what not, if SONY decide to go in that direction and create a console with similar controlers and what not, I guess they will be a joke too, huh?

WHY Is the wii a joke? Why do you think that?

I'd also like to know what you consider a serious gamer.

And no, I am not a biased Nintendo fanbrat, while I do enjoy Nintendo and their games/systems, I like just about all the others (Not the oldest game consoles that first came out, as I have not played them).

(But yeah, wow, that probably came out sounding stupid).

Typical Nintendo fan response alert!
Or maybe I'm just a typical person who has this logic pattern:

Great Graphics + Mediocre Gameplay != GOTY
And, how many Wii games have been actually innovative? What makes you think that there's no such thing as visual innovation? Do you have such a narrow-minded Nintendo-centric view of what innovation is?
Visual innovation exists, but unless you wanna make a cinematic movie, it's not something to rely on when making a video game. The only reason I don't own any other consoles than a Wii is because I'm currently unemployed, and it happened to be the cheapest one. I'm all for the XBOX 360 or PS3, if they had games that weren't Shooters of Sports games. Every game that you mention that is 'amazing' on those consoles will be one of those two genres. And I've had enough of those two genres, and have seen them done better before. Oh, and for examples of innovative Wii games... I'm not sure why anyone (including myself) uses the word innovative anymore, because I've yet to find a game that is innovative from this console generation.

Chrono Demon said:
Just like the 360 and PS3 offer games the Wii will either never have, or will have stripped down versions of, because it's so weak. =/

Chrono Demon said:

So the 360 only has three decent games (behave yourself!)...and the Wii hits a home run with SIX!!! =|

...and all these evil HD games are really no less innovative than another Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Party and Metroid Prime. Other than messy controls, there barely seems to be any evidence they're any improvement over the GC versions.

Say the same about Halo 3 et al, but no one's hyping them up as being something groundbreaking. Just something good.

Little Big Planet, Assassin's Creed, Eye of Judgement, Uncharted, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Tekken DR, AC4, Folklore, Flow, Gripshift, Warhawk, Everyday Shooter, Army of Two, Ratchet and Clank, MGS4.

So tired of hearing that the PS3 has nothing, all of these are out by the end of the year (aside from LBP and MGS4 :cry: )and cover a wide enough breadth of tastes to accomodate most people. If you want more then to be honest you have too much money or here's an idea, compare the titles the Wii and 360 had after a full year of it being in circulation around the globe.

Anyways onto the actual debate, graphics do mean very little but i agree that gameplay has to seriously make up for it. A game can get away with mediocre gameplay and amazing graphics pretty easily but if the game hasnt got the graphical muscle they have to work pretty damn hard to make up for it in the gameplay department, a lot more than the devs who just release eye-candy at least.

The Wii is slowly getting more and more titles (actual adult stuff like the aforementioned Killer7 and Metroid) but im so sick of seeing that a good 70% of the Wii's titles either has Mario or Zelda in it. To quote the escapist : "Nintendo seem to have this idea that if you beat a dead horse hard enough to resemble twitching, it is alive."
People complain about Final Fantasy but christ, let the mascots die already and i might be tempted to get a Wii.

The Wii is by far, no joke, be it the controller or just the games itself, its no joke. You don't need amazing graphics to make a good game, and if all you're looking for is just graphics, i'm sure you will be dissappointed with many a game you could get.
A good game has good story and most of all, good gameplay. Zelda and Metroid have both as just a couple of examples, good story, good gameplay, not the best ever graphics, and are serious games.

I have been a gamer more or less all my life, i wouldn't deem myself a nintendo fanboy by any means, in fact i find quite a lot of games on the likes of the 360, PS2 and such great. I will however defend the wii from quotes like 'its a joke' if there is no backing whatsoever, much like i would the 360 or any other console for that matter.

Liquid Skin said:
The Wii is slowly getting more and more titles (actual adult stuff like the aforementioned Killer7 and Metroid) but im so sick of seeing that a good 70% of the Wii's titles either has Mario or Zelda in it. To quote the escapist : "Nintendo seem to have this idea that if you beat a dead horse hard enough to resemble twitching, it is alive."
People complain about Final Fantasy but christ, let the mascots die already and i might be tempted to get a Wii.

Whats so bad about zelda and mario? ok i do admit the whole thing with mario is a bit more OTT than i like, but i only go for the titles such as Mario Galaxy, and Zelda is easily going strong even now with the new titles it has. Just because the console has mascots, doesn't mean you have to actually buy the titles with them in it.

Whats so bad about zelda and mario? ok i do admit the whole thing with mario is a bit more OTT than i like, but i only go for the titles such as Mario Galaxy, and Zelda is easily going strong even now with the new titles it has. Just because the console has mascots, doesn't mean you have to actually buy the titles with them in it.

Thats what i mean. From my limited glances at Wii titles practically all of them have either Mario or Zelda. How would you feel to see a aisle full of Master Chief games? Or Snake? Or Dante? At least those characters stick to their respective games with a nice number or subtitle to define them but Mario is quite frankly Nintendo's whore. *braces for a flaming*

Its just a personal thing really, Mario is a platformer and ive never been too keen on them and i never really got into Zelda either. PC RPGs or FF has me covered on the RPG route and their worlds are more appealing to.....Hyrule's? Its as confusing to me why people like those games as to why i have a unholy love of Armoured Core - one of the most bland, boring and infuriating games ever made :D

Everyone is my house (apart from my dad) has played on the Wii, its friendly and fun to use end of story.

I haven't got many games for it, however, it makes up for playing N64/Gamecube games. Sin & Punishment is an awesome title wished I played it back then!, little things like that make me feel some effort is there.

Even if it does get boring after a while the company has made its comeback to start looking into better development and I'm sure Nintendo are very capable of doing so.
I believe third parties are trying out what small details they can do for the time being while the hype is about, hopefully, you can expect some major improvement in the near future.

I do believe graphics is a major selling point still, a lot of people still see it this way, myself wouldn't care too much long as game plays good, but must admit having something nice to look at is what can make a gaming experience much more enjoyable, you can get the best of both I guess but not always.

I'm enjoying the Wii, Xbox 360 & PS2, can't fault them. I wouldn't call any of them a joke.

With the PS3 I'll just wait til a Slimeline version of it comes out in somewhat 4 years from now, when it does have a decent amount of games, what it has at the moment and in the future just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

This is just what I get from most people I know who has a PS3, they have it just for the priciable of it, "It looks good on my HDTV and its the latest most powerful console on the market", well I guess you could say the same about the Wii (look at what it can do!, everyone jumps and tries it :lol:.

Back