The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Mutsumi

Guild Member
Enough of us play it, so lets give it a thread!

My fastest wins so far are:
Prologue - Encounter at Bruhl==> 1 turn
Episode 1 - Defense of Bruhl ==> 2 turns
Episode 2 - Retreat from Bruhl ==> 3 turns
Episode 3 - West Bank of Vasel City ==> 1 turn
Episode 4 - Battle for the Bridge ==> 1 turn
Episode 5 - Wildwood Warfare at Kloden ==> 1 turn
Episode 6 - Battle at Barious Desert ==> 1 turn
Episode 7 - Desert Dual with Maximilian ==> 9 turns
Episode 8a - Escape from Forest Snare ==> 4 turns
Episode 8b - Reunion in the Forest ==> 2 turns
Episode 9 - Kidnapping of Cordelia ==> 1 turn
Episode 10a - Infiltration of Fouzen ==> 3 turns
Episode 10b - Liberation of Fouzen ==> 1 turn
Episode 11 - Battle at Marberry Shore ==> 1 turn
Episode 12 - Recapture of Bruhl ==> 1 turn
Episode 13 - Showdown at Naggiar (1) ==> 1 turn
Episode 14 - Showdown at Naggiar (2) ==> 2 turns
Episode 15a - Fight for Ghirlandaio ==> 1 turn
Episode 15b - Selvaria's Last Stand ==> 1 turn
Episode 16 - Diverting the Marmota ==> 8 turns
Episode 17 - Breaching Jaeger's Blockade ==> 4 turns
Episode 18a - Marmota's End ==> 2 turns
Episode 18b - Final Showdown ==> 1 turn

Bonus Missions
Extra 1 - Vegetable Route Incident ==> 3 turns
Extra 2 - Taking the Barious Highlands ==> 2 turns
Extra 3 - Hostage Rescue Operation ==> 1 turn
Extra 4 - An End to Darcsen Hunting ==> 3 turn
Extra 5 - Guarding the Refugee Camp ==> 4 turns

If you want to know how I did it on some of these missions just ask & I'll tell you how. :D

Edit: Corrected the mission names & corrected/updated my turn numbers.

It probably had a thread before, but now seems as good a time as any for a new one. Yep, I love this game despite once shouting "Oh f*ck you, Welkin! DON'T DIE YOU BASTARD!" at it this evening. Will be looking forward to a proper sequel on PS3.

I'm on 8a which I hope to finally finish tomorrow... If we're comparing, I have no idea how many turns it has taken me to do any of the missions. Does it tell you this information anywhere?

When you complete the game you get the 'statistics' tab which keeps score of all your best ranks & turns taken on all missions & all skirmishes of each difficulty.

I know I can improve on some of my times, but some of them cannot be done any quicker.

My advice to you would be to get all units to level 11 & then focus on your lancers. At level 20 some of your lancers can 1hit kill tanks from the front.

Mutsumi said:
When you complete the game you get the 'statistics' tab which keeps score of all your best ranks & turns taken on all missions & all skirmishes of each difficulty.

I know I can improve on some of my times, but some of them cannot be done any quicker.

My advice to you would be to get all units to level 11 & then focus on your lancers. At level 20 some of your lancers can 1hit kill tanks from the front.
As "The Marberry Shore" mission has proven to me, Tanks can do jack all against me if you sneak behind them:
It's the commando infantry that'll wipe you out. (I.e. their special named characters) D:

Ryo Chan said:
that takes the fun outta the game though

i'm still running round with level 1 guys and i'm on ep 15

I found having not upgraded my armor or weapons beyond the first four upgrade levels on each made the game a good challenge the first two plays through. I didn't know you could scroll down & get further upgrade options. ^^; 'twas a very good challenge.

Which characters do you guys have in your main squad, besides the CP-giving ones (Alicia/Rosie/Largo)?

Mutsumi said:
Ryo Chan said:
that takes the fun outta the game though

i'm still running round with level 1 guys and i'm on ep 15

I found having not upgraded my armor or weapons beyond the first four upgrade levels on each made the game a good challenge the first two plays through. I didn't know you could scroll down & get further upgrade options. ^^; 'twas a very good challenge.

Which characters do you guys have in your main squad, besides the CP-giving ones (Alicia/Rosie/Largo)?

Grumnpy Sniper chick ftw. I've forgot her name though. Began with an M...

I stopped playing a while ago without finishing sadly. Is the Sniper class useful in the game?

Spyro201 said:
Grumnpy Sniper chick ftw. ... Is the Sniper class useful in the game?
Very useful at times, especially when your frontline troopers are suppressed by heavy suppression fire. May have only 3 shots (plus 1 more each turn), that's good enough to whittle them down, especially if you're lucky enough to have a engineer nearby to support/resupply.

Maria's the emo (but loveable) sniper, then there's Claire, and then some guys. Maria's not grumpy, she's just shy and a loner. (Focused!)

I do love the Sadist shocktrooper, Jane. She seriously kicks ass!

Chaz said:
Spyro201 said:
Grumnpy Sniper chick ftw. ... Is the Sniper class useful in the game?
Very useful at times, especially when your frontline troopers are suppressed by heavy suppression fire. May have only 3 shots (plus 1 more each turn), that's good enough to whittle them down, especially if you're lucky enough to have a engineer nearby to support/resupply.

Maria's the emo (but loveable) sniper, then there's Claire, and then some guys. Maria's not grumpy, she's just shy and a loner. (Focused!)

I do love the Sadist shocktrooper, Jane. She seriously kicks ass!

Ah Maria is who I was thinking of!

I'll pick the game back up eventually...

*Marina - Shy/loner but loves cute things
*Catherine - Irish. Worries about ammo.
Oscar & Emile - Ron Weasley style brothers
Cezary - Bit sleazy

Thats all the snipers. :D

I tend to not use all the deployment spots in a level. My mains for each class are:

Scout: Wavy & Musaad
Shock: Lynn & Aisha
Lancer: Audrey & Elysse
Engineer: Nadine & Dallas (Lesbian ftw!)
Sniper: Marina & Catherine

ayase said:
Wendy. I always use Wendy, she's cool. She likes no-one and wears a hat and war paint.
LMAO, she's one of the ones that died on that marberry mission tragedy of mine. She did well, but I couldn't save her from the masses of other infanty ganging up on her.

Awww, poor Wendy. I've not had anyone die on me yet (though Ali/Ros/Lar/Zaka have 'retreated'). I need to have someone killed to get one of the medals.

Mutsumi said:
Awww, poor Wendy. I've not had anyone die on me yet (though Ali/Ros/Lar/Zaka have 'retreated'). I need to have someone killed to get one of the medals.
KILL OLD MAN DARCSEN!! NOBODY CARES! *runs*

Right... Well I've gotten to that 'Marberry Shore' mission where Chaz's catastrope occured. Wendy shall not die on my watch! Just you see, she'll be the heroine yet...

Oh, and a question for Mutsumi - how the hell did you do either of the Fouzen missions in one turn!? One took me six and the other eight, and I really can't see how I could have done them any quicker.

The first fouzen mission cannot be done faster than three turns, as the win condition is getting the Edelweiss to the exit. The second one there is a little trick to, & it required that you level up your scouts until you have all four battle potential for each scout. Some scouts for their fourth battle potential get the ability 'double movement'. If you use the order 'awaken potential' or 'awaken all', it has a much greater chance of occuring, & you will need it to occure at least one, but the more the better. You will also need to use the order 'defend all' to protect your scouts from fire. The thing to remember on speedruns is to focus on only the victory conditions & ignore enemies unless you really have to kill them.

Now I bet you'll want to know next how I did Marberry Shore in one turn too? XD

To clarify, I got my speedier wins on my second playthrough, when I had more upgrades & levels.

Back