The Times does an article on anime and piracy

Arbalest

黒い剣士
In todays edition of <strong>The Times</strong>, the paper has an article which covers the $2.4 billion loss in profits due to chinese pirates.
<em>"Japan&rsquo;s cartoon industry, a mainstay of the country&rsquo;s bid to revive the economy through &ldquo;soft&rdquo; exports, is losing $2.4 billion a year to Chinese piracy.The number represents more than twice what the Japanese animation industry made from total global exports of cartoons and cartoon-related goods during its best year."</em>
The article, "Japan's Cartoons plundered by Pirates" can be read on <a href="http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article7085459.ece">The Times</a> site.

Funny thing is that the majority of fake goods like figures and dvds appear on ebay. Thankfully i already know that if its source is from China then i simply wont buy it.

Sankaku had a article about it a few days ago

SaberReal.jpg

SaberFake.jpg

I don't see China fixing these types of problems any time soon, but an interesting article nonetheless. It's interesting how cut-off their internet seemingly is, but doesn't affect anything at all.

Another article about anime, though on a completely different subject entirely was published last week, about anime having good female role models. I think Manga tweeted it, and I thought it was a good read.

God dammit China. Stop ruining things for everyone else.
Jayme said:
I don't see China fixing these types of problems any time soon, but an interesting article nonetheless. It's interesting how cut-off their internet seemingly is, but doesn't affect anything at all.

Another article about anime, though on a completely different subject entirely was published last week, about anime having good female role models. I think Manga tweeted it, and I thought it was a good read.
I'd like to point the person who wrote that in the direction of various Go Nagai females. Go Nagai writes better women than anyone.

Good to see theis problem getting some attention in the press.

I'm forever telling folks about the dangers of piracy and bootlegging. It's literally mind numbing how some of the folks I've spoken to who have the biggest appetite for anime also have the greatest reluctance to buy official releases. They just don't get how buying bootlegs is ABSOLUTELY doing a great deal to destroy the art form they love.

If I had my way, there's be open discussions about the perils of bootlegging and piracy on EVERY anime discussion board. I've heards so much retarded crap about the issue, it's astonishing.

HdE said:
If I had my way, there's be open discussions about the perils of bootlegging and piracy on EVERY anime discussion board. I've heards so much retarded crap about the issue, it's astonishing.

lol'd

Yeah read this on Sankaku when it came out there, it's quite a large amount of money, really there is no solution though, as long as there is internet, there is piracy.

stuart-says-yes said:
If there making that much in illegal sales, I guess im one of the few who actually feel bad for buying a bootleg.

I don't really understand why people do it anyway, your guaranteed quality and the box art is nice usually if you by the real thing
Did you know it was a bootleg when you bought it?
And the box art is MUCH nicer on official copies :D

Hardcore lol @ the pics Clouded posted.

To follow up Maxon's comment on that Guardian article, I would also point her in the direction of Urasawa Naoki's works. Although it's understandable I guess that she would focus on Miyazaki, I'm surprised she didn't mention Anno and Gainax when talking about Nadia, since she'd already mentioned Eva. I guess there really is only one guy whose name actually merits remembering for the mainstream press.

Kirrimir said:
HdE said:

lol'd

Yeah read this on Sankaku when it came out there, it's quite a large amount of money, really there is no solution though, as long as there is internet, there is piracy.
Hah, no, as long as there are people who are willing to buy bootleg items/not willing to buy legit items, there will be piracy. The internet is not required.

ilmaestro said:
Hah, no, as long as there are people who are willing to buy bootleg items/not willing to buy legit items, there will be piracy. The internet is not required.
Well, the internet is kinda required to make pirate copies of anything... :lol:

Paradox295 said:
ilmaestro said:

There were pirate tapes long before DVDs and the internet was in mainstream use and it is only one of their distribution networks, I was offered pirate DVDs while sat in a McDonalds a few months ago...

Paradox295 said:
ilmaestro said:
Eh? Ever heard of art forgery? CD recorders? Photocopiers?

And in other news just in; Marconi Radio reports that the White Star liner Titanic has struck an iceburg off the coast of New Foundland. No reported casualties just yet.

Go to any car boot sale, or one of those dodgy looking asian shops that spring open in closed , or derelict shops, then gone the following month, and you would find boot loads, and bin loads of dodgy VHS copies with obvious cheap sweat shop copied packaging of TV shows, or movies for anywhere from £1 to £3, and this was back in the 70's and 80's right up to the early 90's long before the internet became the household utility it is today. Must have been a slow news day.

Sad but true.

Personally, I think the most alarming problem is the fact that bootlegs keep cropping up on Ebay! I'm not talking about bootlegs that look so close to the original as to be indistinguishable, I'm talking about DVDs that might as well have 'THIS IS A BOOTLEG' written all over the casing.

50 episodes? From Malaysia? Region free? BOOOOOOOTLEEEEGG-AH!

And it's not just anime - I've seen entire seasons of shows like House and Dexter for sale online at ridiculously cheap prices - obviously dodgy, as the shows weren't available for retail when the listings went up.

I wish online retailers would crack down on this stuff.

People want stuff as cheaply as possible and don't really care where it came from. A chap at work brought in a bag full of DVDs and was offering them around the office. They were all bootlegs.

Like I said, sad but true.

I've been offered bootlegged goods before now, and as soon as I've realised the nature of the goods, I've dropped my usually civil front and layed intot he vendor in question.

And yes, I'll admit I've been duped by online sellers as well - twice, early on in my fanboy adventures in buying anime online. In both cases I replaced the DVDs with official copies ASAP, and have since learned the signs to look for.

I quite literally NEVER pass up an opportunity to tell folks about the risks bootlegging and piracy pose to the anime industry and UK distribution.

And no mention of Astro Plan.

But it's not like it's worth taking some moral high ground here. If pirated products from China are bothering you solely because the market is being flooded with unofficial goods, well, boo-hoo. No one's life here (or in Japan) is untainted by the exploitation of poorer nations and none of us live in a place where 'DVD-R salesperson' is a legitimate career choice, so who are we to judge?

It's not like I don't download something to try before I buy either. But I certainly never really got why I should pay someone else to do it for me.

kupocake said:
But it's not like it's worth taking some moral high ground here. If pirated products from China are bothering you solely because the market is being flooded with unofficial goods, well, boo-hoo.

Except that's not what bothers conscientious anime fans at all. It's the fact that the trade in that stuff is, without doubt, affecting the health of anime as an industry.

Please - let's not split hairs or get into side arguments, huh? Muddies the issue at hand.

kupocake said:
And no mention of Astro Plan.
"It is just too ridiculous! I see elements from "Macross Frontier" (primary), "Macross Seven" (that VF-22S Milia's Unit in the third image), "Gundam SEED" (action pose of the second image), "Gundam SEED Destiny" (Minerva? in the third image), and "Transformers", "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann", "Gundam Double O" and "Victory Gundam" from the trailer. I'm sure you can find elements copied from other anime series as well here and there."
I guess we've all got so used to seeing Japan do it that it's only news when another country makes an unoriginal mecha show now.

whoops!
A few years ago when I had just got my unlimited access to the internet I did go on Ebay and buy bootleg copies without knowing that they were fake. I gave it some thought and basically I'm going to re-buy all the anime I brought.
I wonder if my crazy spending habits help the industry at all. lol

Back