The sports-other-than-football thread!

ilmaestro said:
Olympic CRAZINESS today.

Jessica Ennis and her wonder abs delivered spectacularly, a mini-shock gold in the Long Jump for Greg Rutherford, and MA BOY Mo Farah took the 10k with a near perfect run. If Louis Smith can nail his stuff tomorrow, what a weekend that would make!

Yeah, this. Team GB is on a real roll. It's not only Louis Smith tomorrow, don't forget Murray's going for gold too and he was on looking on form when he beat Jokervich.

Hehe, yeah. In my mind it's still "Murray is playing Federer in a tennis final, what implications does this have on the world rankings" than "Murray is going for Olympic Gold" - good shout!

vashdaman said:
Yeah, this. Team GB is on a real roll. It's not only Louis Smith tomorrow, don't forget Murray's going for gold too and he was on looking on form when he beat Jokervich.

He's going for gold twice, because he's in the mixed doubles too. Murray's going to be knackered.

Utterly fantastic stuff by Murray in the singles final, hopefully that dispells his demons from Grand Slam finals.

Bring on the mixed doubles!

Have to say that Murray was excellent today, was playing the way he can when on top form. Federer just never looked like turning the tide the way he did a month ago and everything seemed to fall perfectly into place for Murray today; number of unforced errors on Fed's part, shots he would normally over hit played to perfection on the line, etc.

I think this could be the catalyst for him to finally get a grand slam. The confidence it will give him and psychological edge knowing himself that he can do it now, he has won something really big. Also, the fact it came at the expense of Federer less than a month after he lost to him on the same court will be huge. People might say that winning this wouldn't be as big an achievement as winning Wimbledon for a tennis player and that Fed might not have cared as much about it, but I disagree because you get a lot more chances to win Wimbledon than you do an Olympic gold medal.

I think he might just get a grand slam within the next 12 months, my bet would be the US open.

Two best moments of the Olympics for me - GB winning 3 gold medals in one hour for track & field on Saturday night (10,000-meter race, heptathlon and long jump) and watching the 100m sprint on Sunday night*.

* This was made better by my brother's comment after Usain Bolt won the 100m. He remarked that Usain Bolt got off to a slow start but he really accelerated for the last 100m :roll: :lol: .

It's, like why America and CHina are so good at everything, because we spend so much money on it.

I used to work for one of the Team GB 'partner companies' and we had a guy from the R&D team at Team GB cycling come give us a presentation. The precision engineering on every little cycle part and their helmets and everything is insane. They spend tens of thousands of £s on each little nut on the bike and thousands of hours testing everything in military grade wind tunnels. I mean yeah we need good atheletes too, but how are most other nations supposed to compete with that level of preparation?

In other news I'm off to see the volleyball tonight. Still trying to get tickets to somethign inside Olympic Park though :(

enjoy the bikinis

I watched the Women's Uneven Bar gymnastics the other day for similar, erm...sporting reasons..... :oops:

492607_M13.jpg

OLYMPICS-2012.jpg

He Kexin is just looovely.

tumblr_m8d7xmZe0I1qcjbb8o1_500.gif

Isil Alben in the Turkish basketball team is also way too cute, she's my perfect tomboy type.

isil-alben-kimdir.jpg

isil_alben8475856.jpg

isilayben_final_sev.jpg

Oh don't even start with that. Watching all these athletic ladies is almost more agonising than going outside in summer.

FourthLion said:
...how are most other nations supposed to compete with that level of preparation?
Get richer (which I believe Brazil, India, China and Russia are working on).

I don't think China really need to be any richer. At least not from an Olympics POV. If they claimed the 'rich' sports like cycling and sailing as well we might as well give up!

ayase said:
Oh don't even start with that. Watching all these athletic ladies is almost more agonising than going outside in summer.

Pain for pleasure...Oh, yeah that kind of pleasure :wink:

ayase said:
FourthLion said:
...how are most other nations supposed to compete with that level of preparation?
Get richer (which I believe Brazil, India, China and Russia are working on).

Brazil has the next Olympics and World Cup so lot of investment will be coming their way, India is ever expanding, China is pretty much covered since it's the only other Super Power and having just been back from Russia I'll guarantee you there will be a new middle class there within a generation.

Well done to Jade Jones who won Team GB first ever Taekwondo Gold earlier on in a nice performance beating the Chinese world number 1.

The Girls 'Off' Flint which is just five miles from where I live, thank goodness I hadn't been going to my mates house today, from what I'm hearing on Facebook it's absolute Bedlam down there.

Hooray I got Modern Pentathlon tickets for Sunday. My 4th Olympic event :)

Or 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th depending on how you count lol.

Annoyed that it starts the day in Olympic Park (yay) but ends in Green Park (boo), so I won't be around for the Closing Ceremony atmosphere.

Spent a fortune on these Olympics and I'm supposed to be saving to go to Paris and Rome next month as well as milady's birthday... :(

FourthLion said:
but ends in Green Park (boo)
Green Park is not to be jeered at. The only sign of malpractice there is the near-omnipresence of the attendants collecting rental fees for deckchairs.

Mo Farah wins again - following on from winning gold in the 10.000m last Saturday, he today won gold in the 5,000m.

That means 27 gold medals for GB at the moment.

Back