The SOS Brigade needs you!

Damn it I just ordered these dvd's on import as I saw them at minami con and was instantly hooked. Now I will have to decided whether to collect the uk releases too

I have to say I'm disapointed to see these being released the same way as in the US and making us pay more to view the series in the correct order. Gross or what. If we wanted to view it the boring way - chronologicaly - then we could do that once we have the complete series. I don't see why I should have to pay extra to get the DVD of the broadcast order as well as the other order which I won't even want and a bunch of cheap tat. What on earth is even the point in showing it chronologically? It loses it's charm, some bits don't even make sense, and it loses it brilliant story telling technique.

But anyway, the question I wanted to ask was, will the broadcast order DVD in the special edition be dubbed? I know in the US it was subbed but really since you now have all the dubs we ought to have it dubbed. Or else what a ridiculous price to pay for something that's only subbed.

Blossom said:
I have to say I'm disapointed to see these being released the same way as in the US and making us pay more to view the series in the correct order. Gross or what. If we wanted to view it the boring way - chronologicaly - then we could do that once we have the complete series. I don't see why I should have to pay extra to get the DVD of the broadcast order as well as the other order which I won't even want and a bunch of cheap tat. What on earth is even the point in showing it chronologically? It loses it's charm, some bits don't even make sense, and it loses it brilliant story telling technique.

But anyway, the question I wanted to ask was, will the broadcast order DVD in the special edition be dubbed? I know in the US it was subbed but really since you now have all the dubs we ought to have it dubbed. Or else what a ridiculous price to pay for something that's only subbed.

From my point of view, I don't think it's so important an issue whether the bonus DVDs of broadcast order should be contained or not. You know that order, so you can watch the show in that order once you have all the volumes of regular edition. For example, after watching episode 3, you eject the first volume, insert the second volume, and you watch episode 4(The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya). Is it that messy?

Also, the show in the right(chronological) order do have its own charm. You can love it, hate it or ignore it, but it's your impression, which is not universally true.

What really disappointed me was that every preview of broadcast order hasn't been dubbed in the US and AU versions. I fear those previews and extra DVDs will be the same as the UK/AU versions, but if beez can afford to include those dubs, that's better.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Japan the DVDs for Haruhi were released in chronological order, too. That being the case, the "correct" order is probably chronologically. However, I still prefer broadcast order.

As mentioned above, because I don't own the LEs, I just switched the volumes over, it doesn't take much effort if you know the order already. I had to go on wikipedia and just jot down the broadcast order (I wasn't so clear on it), but it wasn't time consuming.

a_kazami said:
Blossom said:

From my point of view, I don't think it's so important an issue whether the bonus DVDs of broadcast order should be contained or not. You know that order, so you can watch the show in that order once you have all the volumes of regular edition. For example, after watching episode 3, you eject the first volume, insert the second volume, and you watch episode 4(The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya). Is it that messy?

You're right, I mean I wouldn't be too bothered about switiching DVDs, it's just I think it's wrong that people should be charged more to be able to watch it on DVD the way it was meant to be seen. I'll be buying the 1st LE for the box (I prefer my things in boxes) but then I'll probably buy all four of the normal DVDs and put them in the box instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blossom said:
I
The reason that the broadcast order episodes were not releaed with a dub was, to my knowledge at least, that the previews were never dubbed in English. They, of course, provided some insight into the mixed-up order of how things were shown on TV and are fairly necessary to the continuity of the series. Given that I would assume that they will be identical to the US versions. Of course, the original episode previews were included as extras on the US discs of the dubbed version so that shouldn't stop anybody from doing as suggested and watching in broadcast order on those. Wonderful things those DVDs for that, eh? :)

Blossom said:
You're right, I mean I wouldn't be too bothered about switiching DVDs, it's just I think it's wrong that people should be charged more to be able to watch it on DVD the way it was meant to be seen. I'll be buying the 1st LE for the box (I prefer my things in boxes) but then I'll probably buy all four of the normal DVDs and put them in the box instead.

It was meant to be seen in the chronological order, that's how it was animated. The creator of Haruhi just decided on doing the broadcast order to get more interest in the series and save the real end of the series for the last episode, so as to keep viewers.

A lot of people probably don't even know about the broadcast order.

melonpan said:
Blossom said:

It was meant to be seen in the chronological order, that's how it was animated. The creator of Haruhi just decided on doing the broadcast order to get more interest in the series and save the real end of the series for the last episode, so as to keep viewers.

I don't see how they can have animated it to been shown chronologically, because at the end of the first broadcast episode you're introduced to Haruhi in a really obvious way. Which is one of the things that just looks odd when you watch it in the chronological order.

Blossom said:
melonpan said:
Blossom said:

I don't see how they can have animated it to been shown chronologically, because at the end of the first broadcast episode you're introduced to Haruhi in a really obvious way. Which is one of the things that just looks odd when you watch it in the chronological order.

What does it matter what was 'meant' by the creators? Fun is what matters, not correctitude.

People need to consider whether they'll get more fun out of broadcast or chronological order, and purchase accordingly (or, if you want broadcast and are low on funds, be patient and buy all the cheap ones, then watch it in the order you choose).

How can you tell which order will give you the most possible of that elusive substance, fun? Well, you can't know for sure before watching it, but you can listen to the debates among people who have. Personally I strongly urge people to watch it in broadcast order. Piecing together the story (Eyeless in Gaza style) is good fun.

But it's your choice. And your fun. Not mine or Ishihara's or Tanigawa's (the director and the original author, respectively) fun. Yours. Go and have it.

I happened to notice last sunday that some random guy on the train (it could be one of you guys for all I know!) was watching a Haruhi episode on his laptop. Now, I've done this occasionally in the past - if you have your laptop with you and you're on a long journey, watching an anime episode or two really helps pass the time - but it just jolted me into thinking that, even before the DVDs are out over here, people are prepared to watch it, wherever they are.

That one odd (but cool) observation really made me think that this show is going to be absolutely huge.

Martin said:
That one odd (but cool) observation really made me think that this show is going to be absolutely huge.

Nah, I really doubt it, to be honest! It'll be successful, but -- as like in the US -- it won't be anywhere near "absolutely huge".

Back