The Retro Anime Thread

I felt inspired enough to make another recommendation right away.
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin

9625f08617639a6f090b5a7b4fd578dd.jpg

This a show from the 80's that i doubt many Brits are aware of. Silver Fang known as Hopeanuoli was a huge hit
here in Finland despite of how butchered due to censoring the original VHS release was and eventhough dub work was god awful. and the dub was. Lot of 90's kids grew up watching it and i do have soft spot for it
but i do think it's genuienly great and feel confident recommending it here.

The show is about Akita galled Gin who joins a pack of dog's that are forming
an army to fight against "evil bear" called Akakabuto and his minions. I don't want to spoil
the show but let's just say that the biggest flaw of the show honestly is that now that
i'm older i really don't feel like that the bears were really evil. They do kill humans
but so do humans kill them so i can't really consider the dog's cause just.

But if you don't think about it too much and take the positive outlook and think about
the wonderful bonds between humans and dogs then you can let that **** pass.

But anyways. So yeah.....it's essentially a show about "samurai dogs" fighting each other and bears. It
has a kick ass soundtrack and it's full of that wonderful 80's manliness.

OST Examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qpc8Yx ... 1821AB627B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VkOQ0i ... 1821AB627B

And there's literally ninja dogs on the show. How could you say no to that?

Kurojaki.png

You can't find an English retail release for this series but i'm sure everyone know's where you can find the digital version

*cough, cough.

I remember seeing an episode of Gin at the anime club once, as part of some MST3K-style commentary-track online series, but I think you're right in saying it's virtually unknown here. Given the theme of it, maybe it's something that just plays better in countries with a more mainstream hunting culture.

Gin was also huge in Sweden. Cut like in Finland, but now available on DVD in uncut form.
I'd say, in the 80s this along with Spaceketeers, Hello! Sandybell and Genshi shonen Ryu ("Caveboy Ryu") were hugely popular on VHS and many people say they "grew up" on them.

For those of us who may have on any level enjoyed the recent "Back to the Future" collision between reality and fantasy, anime has the upcoming dates of 19th/20th December 2015 for the inciting events of Captain Takaya and the Luxion in "Top wo Nerae!" (aka. Gunbuster)

Back