The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Could someone please point me to a thread, which I suspect already exists, regarding streaming titles that are due to leave a service? Thanks!

I've just discovered a whole bunch of series on my Amazon prime watchlist are due to leave on 20/3 and I'm pissed at myself for not getting through them earlier as I have no way of catching up on them all now...

i'm looking at getting some of the Utawarerumono soundtracks, VGMDB is kind of a mess because each listing ranges from being in english, google english and 100% japanese so it's kinda hard to figure out what is and isn't missing

81Rdh25xT9L._SS500_.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
would i be right in assuming these 2 are the ones to go for? i think prelude to the fallen has some new stuff but i have no idea since from what i can remember everything i heard was from the other 2 games

Have you tried White Rabbit Express? Will be lots of $$$$ though
I've looked over their page and they looked like any other proxy (as in only for online shops). Do you have some experience with the site for such physical store cases?

They're usually quite explicit about what's included with any optional store-exclusives further down the product page marked '特典' so if yours isn't mentioned anywhere it might be in-store only. Does it say on the publisher's extra announcement? From my buying experience in Japan in general there's usually exhaustive information posted in advance to avoid people having to ask questions. If it's high demand, the bonus might have sold out?

Sometimes if the preorder went out before the store exclusive stuff got announced it may be that they just haven't updated their listing yet.

R
Yes, was looking for 特典, but it didn't say anything. (The announcement was at the end of a chapter release, those pages are also posted here: )
There have been constant updates on the animate version, but not so much on the others. Sold out should not be the case, if it hasn't released yet (or does that happen?)

(Really have to says, these extras are a pit trap of hell. On the other one from some fair event they announced a bunch of shops participating and the list also lists animate's online shop, but when you ask them in Japanese animate online is all just "We have no information on such an event, please check the product page" and Kadokawa is just like "We leave it to the shops on how they execute things, please ask the shop". 🙈

Last edited:
Could someone please point me to a thread, which I suspect already exists, regarding streaming titles that are due to leave a service?
There isn't a thread for that, actually, because these things usually happen with little to no notice. 🙁

The nearest thing I can think of is posts like this one by @Birdie Num Num in any seasonal update threads started by @NormanicGrav:

There's Grav's updates in the main Legal Streaming thread as well...
... but those cover things that have already been delisted.

i'm looking at getting some of the Utawarerumono soundtracks, VGMDB is kind of a mess because each listing ranges from being in english, google english and 100% japanese so it's kinda hard to figure out what is and isn't missing

would i be right in assuming these 2 are the ones to go for? i think prelude to the fallen has some new stuff but i have no idea since from what i can remember everything i heard was from the other 2 games
You're probably wanting these:

Everything else on the two Masks games (bar the OP/ED/Vocal Collection/Piano stuff) are mini soundtracks which were bundled with the games or some other sort of extra/tease and their tracks are also up on these two.

The Itsuwari one also has a release on Amazon.com digitally and for whatever reason over there it's split into being a 2-part release. (Also there was at least one transliteration botched.)

Prelude's new one is this
Which had a release bundled with the Western Game release
That looks pretty much the same (same tracklist)
A good number of the tracks (a bit over half?) are actually just shorter versions of the newly interpreted/arranged tracks from the original game that were already on the FutaHako Additional Soundtrack though.

I've looked over their page and they looked like any other proxy (as in only for online shops). Do you have some experience with the site for such physical store cases?
Never used them to buy from physical stores. Seems its suspended at the moment

But they're decent for online but with the 12% service fee its £££

Could someone please point me to a thread, which I suspect already exists, regarding streaming titles that are due to leave a service? Thanks!

I've just discovered a whole bunch of series on my Amazon prime watchlist are due to leave on 20/3 and I'm pissed at myself for not getting through them earlier as I have no way of catching up on them all now...

Which series are leaving?

K, The promised neverland, Blood C, Outlaw star, Erased, Full metal panic, Eureka seven, samurai Champloo, wolfs rain, revolutionary girl utena, Love live sunshine, Your lie in April, Gankutuso and Annoymous noise. (All leaving on the 20th of March)

A fair bit of stuff that AllTheAnime had up on the christmas sale (/pre release early bird)

I'm not sure there is an actual thread that has when shows are leaving, I assume partly cause sometimes they just don't give much warning/ notifications. For Amazon I remember I used to get emails regarding shows that were leaving prime soon, but I don't any more it probably started to annoy me so I unsubscribed from the email (or it just threw it in my junk e-mail pile)
I would assume the thread you will be thinking of is the Legal streaming thread for sping, but I'm not aware of there being a leaving date in there.
EDIT: or maybe this legal streaming thread. (Maybe worth watching the thread as you might get some notifcations as to when stuff gets removed)

Last edited:
K, The promised neverland, Blood C, Outlaw star, Erased, Full metal panic, Eureka seven, samurai Champloo, wolfs rain, revolutionary girl utena, Love live sunshine, Your lie in April, Gankutuso and Annoymous noise. (All leaving on the 20th of March)

A fair bit of stuff that AllTheAnime had up on the christmas sale (/pre release early bird)
Tatami Galaxy is going too.

Yes, was looking for 特典, but it didn't say anything. (The announcement was at the end of a chapter release, those pages are also posted here: )
There have been constant updates on the animate version, but not so much on the others. Sold out should not be the case, if it hasn't released yet (or does that happen?)

(Really have to says, these extras are a pit trap of hell. On the other one from some fair event they announced a bunch of shops participating and the list also lists animate's online shop, but when you ask them in Japanese animate online is all just "We have no information on such an event, please check the product page" and Kadokawa is just like "We leave it to the shops on how they execute things, please ask the shop". 🙈

It really looks as though Toranoana is yet to list the bonus since it's a 連動特典 for both products. The Animate one is a lot more prominent since it's got that special edition but Tora doesn't seem to be talking about it at all even for their in-store Twitter accounts that I can see. From past experience getting in-store bonuses from Tora while physically in Japan, they're very disorganised. I remember I wanted the ACCA artbox from their store and it required personally convincing the clerk that it existed (and they only had one copy).

I'm in agreement about extras, especially with Amazon not allowing preorders from overseas at the moment because the window for obtaining some goods is ridiculously tight. Fairs usually have their own landing pages/banner on Animate's homepage from my experience but I don't follow this particular series :(

(Separately, the website is crazy but the guy who runs Otokichi Premium is exceptionally helpful for acquiring stubborn items so long as they don't have to be from specific locations - I've met him IRL - they are closed to overseas shipping at the moment but they can probably help get something to a forwarder if you're desperate.)

R

You're probably wanting these:

Everything else on the two Masks games (bar the OP/ED/Vocal Collection/Piano stuff) are mini soundtracks which were bundled with the games or some other sort of extra/tease and their tracks are also up on these two.

The Itsuwari one also has a release on Amazon.com digitally and for whatever reason over there it's split into being a 2-part release. (Also there was at least one transliteration botched.)

Prelude's new one is this
Which had a release bundled with the Western Game release
That looks pretty much the same (same tracklist)
A good number of the tracks (a bit over half?) are actually just shorter versions of the newly interpreted/arranged tracks from the original game that were already on the FutaHako Additional Soundtrack though.
will keep those 2 in mind then

getting the regular release of prelude to the fallen was hard enough but i tend not to like rearrangement versions of songs so nothing of value was lost

The nearest thing I can think of is posts like this one by @Birdie Num Num in any seasonal update threads started by @NormanicGrav:
There's Grav's updates in the main Legal Streaming thread as well...
... but those cover things that have already been delisted.

I would assume the thread you will be thinking of is the Legal streaming thread for sping, but I'm not aware of there being a leaving date in there.
EDIT: or maybe this legal streaming thread. (Maybe worth watching the thread as you might get some notifcations as to when stuff gets removed)
Thanks for the info guys, a shame there isn't clear enough notice from services about titles leaving...

As everyone mentioned, it seems to be mainly a funimation (and/or crunchyroll) titles purge, I'm guessing a change in the licensing allowances? Don't have funimation so am desperately trying to watch some titles I haven't seen yet from my watchlist. Mainly bingeing Utena right now, will probably manage blood c and maybe, if I'm manic enough and finish Utena in time then, the first season of k (can watch second on crunchyroll). Have given up on outlaw star. Fortunately either have hard copies or access to or seen the others from my list that are leaving.

It really looks as though Toranoana is yet to list the bonus since it's a 連動特典 for both products. The Animate one is a lot more prominent since it's got that special edition but Tora doesn't seem to be talking about it at all even for their in-store Twitter accounts that I can see. From past experience getting in-store bonuses from Tora while physically in Japan, they're very disorganised. I remember I wanted the ACCA artbox from their store and it required personally convincing the clerk that it existed (and they only had one copy).

Ouf, that bodes well... I'm also rather puzzled on this one: 【特典】描き下ろしイラストカード(君には届かない。 3)
That was the Toranoana extra on v3, but for whatever reason it's listed on it's own? (and 0yen?) Also with no note whatsoever that it's linked to v3 (beyond the title at best.) That's just an illustration card so I'm not dying over it much (aside that I should also have managed to snatch from yahoo auctions, unless postage borks it.)

I'm in agreement about extras, especially with Amazon not allowing preorders from overseas at the moment because the window for obtaining some goods is ridiculously tight.
Since they don't ship to Switzerland at all anymore I'm in for forwarders in any case, so that didn't really affect me. (For the good or bad anyway.)

Fairs usually have their own landing pages/banner on Animate's homepage from my experience but I don't follow this particular series :(
I can wholeheartedly recommend the series. It's worth checking out if you haven't yet. =3 (Yen press also has just released v1 in English.)
I never really concerned myself with extras all that much, especially not on manga. Even when they had actual manga shorties they always just felt like an optional extra I could do without. (And it's rare I get even a 9/10 scored manga title worth the effort of seeking out more to begin with.) But this one series just made me want to have them all. (Probably has to do with how the series started as a Twitter mini-series with loads little sketches and 4-koma to add onto the whole package, even if they aren't directly plot related.)
Finding the Animate LE of v2 which had a 24p extra was already bit of a pain, but also a stroke of luck since the series got nominated for some BL award later with a deal of the offers on the old stuff vanishing, so I'm guessing whatever is popping up now probably won't have too many offers showing up later on yahoo etc.

(Separately, the website is crazy but the guy who runs Otokichi Premium is exceptionally helpful for acquiring stubborn items so long as they don't have to be from specific locations - I've met him IRL - they are closed to overseas shipping at the moment but they can probably help get something to a forwarder if you're desperate.)

R
Oho. Did you use them before for such a get? What are the rates usually?

Never used them to buy from physical stores. Seems its suspended at the moment

But they're decent for online but with the 12% service fee its £££

That's... indeed a lot of $$$$
will keep those 2 in mind then

getting the regular release of prelude to the fallen was hard enough but i tend not to like rearrangement versions of songs so nothing of value was lost
I found the new interpretations much better than the old ones personally. The old ones often just sounded a bit like midis of sort in my ears. (And the long reinterpretation of "Utawarerumono" that is "Utawarerumono Kuon is just great. As is the instrumental rearragement of "Kimi ga Tame", among others.)
(Though not all rearragements of previous tracks are good. Bar the OP "Kotowari" and its "nostalgic" version that was used for the ZAN game's menu theme, ZAN's music offerings were.... raher unlistenable to my ears.)

Last edited:
Ouf, that bodes well... I'm also rather puzzled on this one: 【特典】描き下ろしイラストカード(君には届かない。 3)
That was the Toranoana extra on v3, but for whatever reason it's listed on it's own? (and 0yen?) Also with no note whatsoever that it's linked to v3 (beyond the title at best.) That's just an illustration card so I'm not dying over it much (aside that I should also have managed to snatch from yahoo auctions, unless postage borks it.)

It's weird though if you do try to buy it alone, you get an error '【特典】描き下ろしイラストカード(君には届かない。 3)の条件を満たしていません。対象商品と合わせてご購入ください。' so I guess you're meant to be conscientious about buying the item in the title. It should really have a banner on the actual item page or something. Japanese stores are often strangely low-tech in confusing ways.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the series. It's worth checking out if you haven't yet. =3 (Yen press also has just released v1 in English.)

Thanks, I'll check it out and see whether it catches my eye :)

I never really concerned myself with extras all that much, especially not on manga. Even when they had actual manga shorties they always just felt like an optional extra I could do without. (And it's rare I get even a 9/10 scored manga title worth the effort of seeking out more to begin with.) But this one series just made me want to have them all. (Probably has to do with how the series started as a Twitter mini-series with loads little sketches and 4-koma to add onto the whole package, even if they aren't directly plot related.)
Finding the Animate LE of v2 which had a 24p extra was already bit of a pain, but also a stroke of luck since the series got nominated for some BL award later with a deal of the offers on the old stuff vanishing, so I'm guessing whatever is popping up now probably won't have too many offers showing up later on yahoo etc.

I tend to skip art boards and the little bonus illustration sheets but deeply love CDs, so tracking some special editions down consumes a lot of my time. It's so hard to get some of them from overseas! Thankfully the stuff I like tends to be reasonably popular by the time I notice it so Lashinbang/Mandarake/Surugaya etc are usually an option for the goodies I miss.

Oho. Did you use them before for such a get? What are the rates usually?

It's been a few years since I've used him but his 'middle man service' does all kinds of weird requests so long as he can work it around his life. He's helped me with mail-in bonus items, event tickets (not buying them but physically collecting them from a convenience store when redemption dates don't line up with my trips) and procuring obscure CDs. The fees are tailored to my strange requests so probably made-up and out of date, but I was only paying ¥1,000-¥2,000 for his time which was very reasonable. I have also used Tokyo Pirates who now seem to go by the name 'Accio Tokyo' but I'm not sure whether they're still active (they sent someone off to a physical store in Tokyo to pick something up for me once and were very efficient).

R

Is Attack on Titan S2 & 3 on FunimationNow and Crunchyroll the same as the blu-ray releases or is it one of those where we get a broadcast version?

Not far off finishing S1 so wanting to watch the rest of one of these platforms. I know S4 is airing so it’s an obvious one there 😁

Is Attack on Titan S2 & 3 on FunimationNow and Crunchyroll the same as the blu-ray releases or is it one of those where we get a broadcast version?

Not far off finishing S1 so wanting to watch the rest of one of these platforms. I know S4 is airing so it’s an obvious one there 😁
Funimation should have the “uncut” version as they call it, which is just the blu-ray version, but Crunchyroll is definitely just the broadcast version, they never update their streams in that way.

Funimation should have the “uncut” version as they call it, which is just the blu-ray version, but Crunchyroll is definitely just the broadcast version, they never update their streams in that way.
I’ll watch it on Funimation then, I was gonna do it on Crunchyroll coz I’ve not used it before so many thanks 🙏

has it ever been discussed with the likes of AL, MVM or Manga why they choose to use 14/15mm blu-ray cases over the slimmer 11/12mm cases? i'd assume it's mainly down to them wanting to have a visible rating on the spine

has it ever been discussed with the likes of AL, MVM or Manga why they choose to use 14/15mm blu-ray cases over the slimmer 11/12mm cases? i'd assume it's mainly down to them wanting to have a visible rating on the spine
I imagine simply because it’s the far more common case size used in the UK. So presumably they’re easier to source here and most of the insert printing/box and slipcover making machines will be set up to use that size. I can’t think of many UK blu-ray releases that have thinner cases at all - Eureka used to use them and I have some Artificial Eye blu-rays in thinner cases (although they are annoyingly inconsistent) but nearly everything else is 14mm. Oh, apart from Kaze’s, who are French of course and thinner cases seem more common in Europe (also the USA, who produce some absolutely horrible thin cases that barely feel like they have a spine at all and will bend any way you care to try, and lest we forget those ones with the cut-out holes to save plastic that make me shudder just thinking of them).

My own personal favourite blu-ray cases are the ones that came in Beez’s Gunbuster and Freedom sets. Wide enough so the spines are both flat and not flimsy, still narrow enough to look neater. They are 12.5mm I believe, and I’ve never seen them anywhere else. Where did these perfect blu-ray cases originate? Japan. Of course they did.

Last edited:
Back