The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Is there somewhere a list with all US releases vs. if/how they are having a UK release (licensed)?
Specifically mostly thinking of if Funi releases get a Manga release.
(As I want slipcovers, but Funi's are disappearing so fast since a while now, Doesn't seem to be as much the case with Manga's releases, but those usually come later if at all, so haven't really been sure whether to get the US one or not.)

Anyone have much experience with www.otaku.co.uk? I ordered some blu-rays from them and the payment process is literally just Paypal and then it's gone. I've got the payment confirmation email from Paypal, but nothing at all from the site not even an invoice via email.

Does anyone know if the new standard release of Demon Slayer - Part 1 will play on my region free player? - Like, can I just set it to A and pop the disc in?

Unsure since the back of the cover does not mention region, but says it will only play in America.
It's the same geolocked style discs as the Aniplex version, the difference is that it won't have on-disc bonus features.

Problem is, I really don't understand how geolocking works or how to bypass it, even after reading about on your old blog and the thread on this forum. I don't have any problems when playing geolocked Sentai discs, does it work the same way?
Game consoles that have Blu-ray drives (PS3, PS4, XO etc.) were set to English (United States) of sorts so you wouldn't have noticed any difference. Various regular Blu-ray players are already set to United States as well so it is quite hard to narrow down the geolocking completely but the safest way really is just playing them on a PlayStation or Xbox. Sentai & Aniplex discs play the same though I believe Xbox One requires your console to change the country to play them and that's it.

Darn it, I don't have a PS4 anymore, don't know if I should risk it or not...
I did have 3 parts of Monogatari 2nd Season from Aniplex USA, those played without problems as well, is that enough to go by?
Only Demon Slayer was geolocked, the rest of the Aniplex catalogue (except for Kiznaiver because of Crunchyroll) are all region.

So Amazon seem to be hit or miss when it comes to buying Manga. If the Manga comes shrink wrapped, no problems. If there's no shrink wrap it's seems like a 50/50 whether it comes with bent corners, or small tears on the spine corners.

So was looking at either Wordery or Bookdepository as I have seen both mentioned on here. So for those who have bought from either, what's your toughts? Packaging, shipping, returns, quality of the item etc..

Or is it the same as Amazon from these two, could have bent or damaged corners.

So Amazon seem to be hit or miss when it comes to buying Manga. If the Manga comes shrink wrapped, no problems. If there's no shrink wrap it's seems like a 50/50 whether it comes with bent corners, or small tears on the spine corners.

So was looking at either Wordery or Bookdepository as I have seen both mentioned on here. So for those who have bought from either, what's your toughts? Packaging, shipping, returns, quality of the item etc..

Personally I've never had any issues with either. Generally it comes in an A5 jiffy bag if it fits. Sometimes in a larger cardboard envelope thingy. I've bought more from book depository and a couple of times it's got lost in the post and they've immediately sent out a replacement so their customer service seems pretty good.

Amazon ist very hit and miss. Not just for Manga, but also for Anime. (Have had a box that's as thick as 4 amaray cases stuffed into a weak A4 softcardbox envelope. >_>)
Bookdepository has a slightly better quota, but sometimes even they have used the same sort of softcardbox A5 envelope as Amazon. But at least they have a few more standard materials to choose from. Their wrap around evenlopes are decidedly sturdier than Amazon. Unlike Amazon they also have jiffy bags. (Though jiffy bags's not a guarantee for safe arrival.) If the order is big enough to get into box realm, both are equally bad with potentially not stuffing the empty spaces full, so no movement happens.

Anyone have much experience with www.otaku.co.uk? I ordered some blu-rays from them and the payment process is literally just Paypal and then it's gone. I've got the payment confirmation email from Paypal, but nothing at all from the site not even an invoice via email.
I've had only one purchase through the website, but in my case (It was for the Quintessential Quintuplets Blu ray CE) everything was fine. Can say I was a little concerned given the lack of detail from there. But again the item was fine (except for some known problems with its Box but not the websites fault).

i remember seeing a while ago some people eventually had problems with their Toshiba BDX1100/1200 player, what sort of problems were you having if you were the person that posted?

Bookdepository used to be good before it was bought by Amazon now their prices mirror amazon's and can take ages to ship.

For manga i use both wordery and speedyhen. Wordery is very good if the items says eligible for express delivery as it means they have it in their warehouse and will ship fast. If you buy one book then it usually comes in a jiffy bag but if you buy multiple and they all ship together then it'll come in a box and fast wrapped to a piece of cardboard inside. Wordery's customer service is very good if you have a problem with your item.

Speedyhen is also very good, if its in stock then its usually shipped the next day and recorded delivery. Again they use jiffy bag for 1 book orders or boxes for multiple books.

I've had problems with my Toshiba regionfree player and have posted about it a while ago. I still have the player and it still has the same problems, however, it's been better since I posted about it. Mind you, I've had the player for well over 3.5 years, and bought it secondhand, so it was cheap (paid around £13, then I made it regionfree). It has the same problems as then, but not to the same extent.

Things like the disc tray won't eject everytime I press the button on the remote and vice versa, it won't go in all the time, it's easily solved by pressing the button a few times in a row. The other problem is it sometimes freezes 6 seconds into an episode, just hit the chapter back button and it's solved.

I'm also looking at the secondhand market for a "new" player that can be made regionfree, since they can be gotten for very cheap prices here in Denmark, just got to be lucky to find one.
yeah the disc tray thing is my problem except i think it's ejecting it 1mm more than it should and it can't take itself back in sometimes, the freezing 6 seconds into an episode is a funimation only thing i've discovered as far as i can tell

i remember seeing a while ago some people eventually had problems with their Toshiba BDX1100/1200 player, what sort of problems were you having if you were the person that posted?
Mine was giving me a lot of trouble with freezing/skipping.

It would play fine for about 10 minutes, then freeze up for a few seconds and then either start fast forwarding by itself or just jump forward a few minutes. It was making a lot of clicking/grinding noises too.

It only happened with BDs (DVDs were fine) - I tried it with about six different discs and had the same thing every time.

yeah the disc tray thing is my problem except i think it's ejecting it 1mm more than it should and it can't take itself back in sometimes, the freezing 6 seconds into an episode is a funimation only thing i've discovered as far as i can tell
Are you looking for an alternative player? I've been using a region free LG BP-250 for more than a year without issue.

With The Rising of the Shield Hero, what does it mean by Manga Companion?

Also is it worth watching the Anime or reading the Manga Companion for this series?

With The Rising of the Shield Hero, what does it mean by Manga Companion?

Also is it worth watching the Anime or reading the Manga Companion for this series?
I havent read the manga so cant comment on that but the show is, in my view, definitely worth watching. It adds a nice twist on the isekei format by having almost everyone look down on or outright hate the hero. It gives an interesting internal dilemma to his motivations to be a hero. The animation is great, the cast is large and varied and the world building is good too.

Also the light novel that came with the series is a fun read.

hey anyone else noticed that the konosuba Blu-ray from all the anime at the end of each episode seems to cut off early. is it went to do that or did all the anime mess up the blu-rays?

Back