The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Re: The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a threa

It's a japanese release just can't find an unboxing or what they look like inside anywhere

Purchased the storm rider volume 2 brand new for 72 yen from a market place seller so ill just wait until it arrives.
Also does anyone know if the Japanese release of tales of the abyss has English subtitles?

Sora Takeuchi said:
Purchased the storm rider volume 2 brand new for 72 yen from a market place seller so ill just wait until it arrives.
Also does anyone know if the Japanese release of tales of the abyss has English subtitles?

As far as I know it doesn't. It is getting a re-release from Funimation in the future if you're wondering.

Anyone know if Kaze will carry on doing the complete series box sets for Bleach for example complete series 12? I wondered as the parts 13 an on wards have changed their packaging to the same as the complete series box sets packaging.

I don't see them not stopping them since they have been doing them when they invaded years back.

Complete Series 13 will probably be included in the Q4 line up (which I'm guessing Manga will announce at MCM).

NormanicGrav said:
I don't see them not stopping them since they have been doing them when they invaded years back.

Complete Series 13 will probably be included in the Q4 line up (which I'm guessing Manga will announce at MCM).
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they do because I do prefer the 'Complete series box sets' over the parts.

Kurz Weber said:
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully they do because I do prefer the 'Complete series box sets' over the parts.

I do too, with a few exceptions (Part 1 has an Artbox [i.e. Funimation LE], Shonen shows [i.e. Fairy Tail], Special LE Parts [i.e. Aniplex]).

Am interested to know how people manage their buying habits/backlog?

Do you only pick up shows you absolutely know you'll love/collectors editors? Or are you more free and easy and aim to 'collect' everything eventually?

Do you focus more on purchasing great deals/bargains? Or save for the shows you've always wanted to see/have been raved about first?

Lutga said:

Do you only pick up shows you absolutely know you'll love/collectors editors? Or are you more free and easy and aim to 'collect' everything eventually?

Do you focus more on purchasing great deals/bargains? Or save for the shows you've always wanted to see/have been raved about first?

I have a massive spreadsheet with all of the anime that I'm interested in, like this:
Anime_spreadsheet_2.png

I use it to manage what title I should get next and how much they would cost. I find it very useful since I don't have to go to the item page and find the price itself when I already have it on my document. I also use it for PlayStation games, Asian Cinema films, Manga and my collection.

I don't mind going for a bargain (I was very lucky to get Tenchi Muyo! OVA LE for $41.99 because it was on Rightstuf's Funimation sale, bare in mind the OVA set is OOP and they managed to get some stock in at the time) but sometimes I don't bother depending on the type of release (for instance it's a Standard version not the Limited Edition or UK version not the US version). If there was a bargain on Aniplex then I would be in heaven, except that would never happen.

If I really enjoyed it whilst it was airing it will be an instant pre order for me. If it was average/good, it will depend on the price/release as I tend to go for quality, not quantity.

If I've heard good things about a show, but have never seen it then it varies. I try and not blind buy as much as I used to during my childhood, but I try and pick up at least one a year or so, this year is Psycho Pass (which is pre-ordered), last year it was Steins;Gate, due to how much they were talked about.

Saying that, I haven't seen a lot of the recent All the Anime licences, but I will probably purchase them all anyway because of how lovely their releases are.

Sadly, I usually reserve MVM titles for 'Deal of the Week' only purchases due to their covers. Except for instances like Garden of Sinners, obviously. Sadly I took a break from anime when they were still releasing art boxes, but I managed to find some second hand.

NormanicGrav said:
Lutga said:

I have a massive spreadsheet with all of the anime that I'm interested in, like this:
Anime_spreadsheet_2.png

I use it to manage what title I should get next and how much they would cost. I find it very useful since I don't have to go to the item page and find the price itself when I already have it on my document. I also use it for PlayStation games, Asian Cinema films, Manga and my collection.

I don't mind going for a bargain (I was very lucky to get Tenchi Muyo! OVA LE for $41.99 because it was on Rightstuf's Funimation sale, bare in mind the OVA set is OOP and they managed to get some stock in at the time) but sometimes I don't bother depending on the type of release (for instance it's a Standard version not the Limited Edition or UK version not the US version). If there was a bargain on Aniplex then I would be in heaven, except that would never happen.

That spreadsheet looks amazing - might need to start making something like that for myself.

My problem is a) I'm running out of shelf space, b) my backlog is getting immense as I've picked up tons of cheap stuff recently secondhand on Amazon.

I'm trying to wean myself off buying so many new releases as I find many of them I'll only watch once and then just bung in the shelf.

GolGotha said:
If I really enjoyed it whilst it was airing it will be an instant pre order for me. If it was average/good, it will depend on the price/release as I tend to go for quality, not quantity.
Same for me, really. I've stopped blind buying as much as I did last year, due to funds being a little tighter - but if it's a nice, well packaged UK release with a reasonable price (like Durarara from AL) then I'll usually take a punt on it.

The spreadsheet thing looks impressive, but I can't see myself ever using one. It strikes me as a hobby becoming more like a business!

My system is really simple. I have a text file with the names of the shows I want in it, and I preorder them as soon as they are available on a suitable format unless I'm not that bothered. In those cases they just sit on my list until I see them at a price I want to pay. This unfortunately means every UK release has tended to be in the second category as streaming channels me towards buying the JP or US releases long before the UK edition is even announced.

It's a pretty short list, thankfully, since I managed to catch up on my purchasing backlog during the massive price reductions we've seen over the last decade. Unfortunately I've yet to achieve the same success with my viewing backlog ^^;

Things like MAL completely suck the fun out of life for me so a little shopping list of titles is as detailed as my records get.

R

VoxPhantom said:
The spreadsheet thing looks impressive, but I can't see myself ever using one. It strikes me as a hobby becoming more like a business!

I guess that makes sense. It did take me quite a while to handle* (I worked on it at the time where I had just started collecting anime a year ago and build it up at a time) but it's interesting to hear everyone's opinions about it.

*That screenshot I posted is my spreadsheet in case anyone is wondering, I'm actually working on a section for BD-Boxes no joke.

I have a spreadsheet but it's not that detailed. I use it to keep track of which volumes in a series I own which is useful for manga especially. I use MAL to remember where I'm up to in a series.

Normanic's spreadsheet is GDLK.

Lutga said:

I import some small number of shows from Japan each season depending on how much I like them (this can be slightly independent of quality if it's an adaptation of a LN or manga I like and the BD release will come with physical extras, especially exclusive short stories or drama CDs).

The next "level" of shows (ones I enjoyed but didn't feel enough of a connection to to import from Japan) I used to import from the US either when they came out, or when there was a company sale on at TRSI. Then the next level down ("shows I watched anyway") I would try to buy the UK releases.

Now that almost every show is legally streamed, I put basically all of my anime money into Japanese releases and might pick up one or two shows that I missed or just could not possible stretch my budget to at the time when they come out in the US.

Buying "bargains" is a massive trap imo. If I didn't want to buy the series enough in the first place, I probably don't want to even spend the time watching it, so the amount of money is far less relevant.

I used to pick up anything and everything, regardless of reviews or opinions, that has stopped after picking up some right duds.

I now either pick up shows I love or if a shows coming out that I haven't seen I'll pick it up if it's critically acclaimed or/and suits my tastes in genre/art.

If there's a collectors edition out in the UK, I will pick it up if it suits my criteria. I'd love to import more stuff but no region free player and I just cannot trust that amount of money on something I haven't seen.

Bargains have got me some crappy shows so I tend to avoid them unless it's actually something good that I've seen/heard about that I've had my eye on or something.

----

I'm considering buying a Kindle, has anyone got one? I was wondering how good they are for reading Manga.

Dannielle said:
I used to pick up anything and everything, regardless of reviews or opinions, that has stopped after picking up some right duds.

I now either pick up shows I love or if a shows coming out that I haven't seen I'll pick it up if it's critically acclaimed or/and suits my tastes in genre/art.

If there's a collectors edition out in the UK, I will pick it up if it suits my criteria. I'd love to import more stuff but no region free player and I just cannot trust that amount of money on something I haven't seen.

Bargains have got me some crappy shows so I tend to avoid them unless it's actually something good that I've seen/heard about that I've had my eye on or something.

----

I'm considering buying a Kindle, has anyone got one? I was wondering how good they are for reading Manga.

Re. a kindle - the most basic ones (ie. the ones without a backlight) can't display them - but I think all the others do.

Personally I use an iPad as I already had a Shonen Jump digital subscription paired to my Apple ID - it's probably one of the nicest reading experiences I've seen too. Ironically, Amazon's Kindle reader isn't as great - but it's by no means bad.

Sadly, the problem with digital manga at the moment is more to do with availability. Viz and Kodansha release most of their stuff on there, as do Vertical - but there's some very notable omissions.

I see.

I guess you can't get digital kindle manga on your Ipad? Exclusivity to Kindle? or not? Bar the Shonen Jump one.

I saw a few titles I would like to read on the Kindle store but it's missing some too, so yeah .. notable omissions are you said.

Back