The Promised Neverland - Episode 3

ayase

State Alchemist
Untitled-2.jpg

And so it begins in earnest. Less to say about this episode review wise, it was perfectly adequate, but it has raised a lot of questions. Why would it be of consequence Ray pointing out that RFID technology didn't exist in 2015, when the show is set in 2045? I guess the audience in 2019 are fully aware it does exist and has for many years, so is this a sign the world in the show never developed technologically the way the real world did, rather than having regressed or simply not being allowed inside the "plant"? Mama's archaic radio equipment and the truck from the first episode both look very WWII era and seem to suggest as much. And is it perhaps the case the information the kids have access to from the library stops at 2015 (the wall map there is dated 2010) which would suggest that's possibly the date the demons took over the outside world?

The adults now have me wondering (spoilered because while it's just an idea, if I'm right it might spoil things) if they're even human. On the one hand, we have Sister Krone Johnny Five'ing her way through the documents she was asked to memorise and running like the bloody T1000, and on the other she's clearly emotionally unstable with her maternal desire and contradictory attitude towards children, as well as both her and Mama Isabella's underhandedness and self preservation instincts at the expense of their superiors, which are not characteristics I would have thought anyone would program into machines meant to serve them. If they are human however, Krone's desire for motherhood but seeming inability to actually have a child of her also own brings up the disturbing possibility there are also literal baby factories out there and that genuine motherhood and families are something that no longer exists, rather than the kids at the plant just being unwanted or sacrifices of some kind.

Nice to see Emma being quite useful and clever herself, and that she's not there just to be the heart to Norm and Ray's heads.

Last edited:
Nice to see Emma being quite useful and clever herself, and that she's not there just to be the heart to Norm and Ray's heads.
Although she did start blabbing about the situation in front of one of the other children. I wonder the megane girl is a spy or whether that's a red herring.

Back