The official thread for discussions about anime pricing (including Aniplex USA pricing)

HdE

Comic Book Guy
Ugh. Dat Madoka. That's a bloody terrible price for a 12 episode show. Then again, what do we expect from Aniplex these days?

Re: [Overseas] The Aniplex Thread

HdE said:
Ugh. Dat Madoka. That's a bloody terrible price for a 12 episode show. Then again, what do we expect from Aniplex these days?

Epecting something is ridiculous , their price model is the same for ages and it will never change, you should get used to it now...

Iluvatar said:
HdE said:

Expecting something is ridiculous , their price model is the same for ages and it will never change, you should get used to it now...

I certainly got used to it back when I picked up those three Madoka CEs three years ago. Of course this sentence is going to cause a **** load of complaints because this is Aniplex.

Agreed, there's no point complaining about the prices now/anymore. Tey've been around for long enough and shown a)they won't change and b)they don't need to as there is enough of a demand to make them a success.

AoA titles are not for me, they're far too pricey for my liking, so I just don't buy them, simple really :)

Iluvatar said:
Epecting something is ridiculous , their price model is the same for ages and it will never change, you should get used to it now...

Begging your pardon, but I'll think what I like about Aniplex, and I'll continue to say what I think here.

I knew this would happen. There's a reason I made that Aniplex Rant thread in the previous forum build.

Anywho, I understand people wanting to express their thoughts as such, but this is NOT THE PLACE TO BUILD AN ARGUMENT OVER. This thread is mainly for those who like to pickup these types of sets.

No hate or anything, but I want to see this thread go through without any debates because it's always happening everywhere else (most notably Anime News Network and AUKN's very own Discord chat).

The OVA business is still the worst thing they did I agree.
But price is personal you give a value to a show. I do monogatari, Fate and DRR are high enough for AoA prices.

thedoctor2016 said:
But price is personal you give a value to a show. I do monogatari, Fate and DRR are high enough for AoA prices.

I'd love to own the DRR!! sets with OVAs, are the OVAs on the DVDs and are their DVDs any cheaper?

Buzz201 said:
thedoctor2016 said:

I'd love to own the DRR!! sets with OVAs, are the OVAs on the DVDs and are their DVDs any cheaper?

Rightstuf notes the OVAs are included on the DVD sets. SRP for each one is $59.98 ($49.98 for Rightstuf).

thedoctor2016 said:

Yep, I don't care how much they charge for their sets as long as they don't force other companies who license the shows from them to do crappy things, but that's exactly what they do. %$&£ Aniplex.

I do feel splitting this off is a bit odd, I get people complaining about price can get annoying but the Anime Limited thread has just as many complaints and that doesn't get it's own thread with a bitchy sounding title lol guess the arbiter gets to decide what discussion is acceptable for the Aniplex Discussion thread lol.

I do feel splitting this off is a bit odd, I get people complaining about price can get annoying but the Anime Limited thread has just as many complaints and that doesn't get it's own thread with a bitchy sounding title lol guess the arbiter gets to decide what discussion is acceptable for the Aniplex Discussion thread lol.

To be honest, I think the entire Aniplex thread is a little kiss-****.

Are there any faults with these Aniplex sets?
Pretty much 99% of the Aniplex sets have no defects whatsoever.

Oreimo 2 has a couple subtitle issues but it shouldn't ruin the experience.

There are a couple shows that contain English Dolby Digital 2.0 audio on the Blu-ray sets due to space limitations and certain nonsense:
- Aldnoah.Zero: Set 1-2
- Fate/Zero: Set 1-2
- Sword Art Online: Set 1-4

So there are faults on several sets then? At those prices, any faults at all are simply not good enough. And quite frankly, the fact AoA are getting preferential treatment, when Kaze would have been hung, drawn and quartered for similar errors, really disappoints me. Especially given their predatory and exclusionary business practices.

But quite frankly, if people are willing to pay AoA prices, I wish them the best of luck. They'll only make things much more expensive for themselves in the long-run when more companies adapt that model.

Last edited:
Aniplex release some really nice looking sets, but, yeah, I'm not going to spend that kind of money. That's before even mentioning they only have one series I even want to buy (Mushishi). It doesn't even look like they'll ever release it.

The threads for Aniplex get split off because there's a long history of every Aniplex-related announcement turning into an incendiary price war which never goes anywhere since those unhappy with the pricing remain unhappy and ignored by Aniplex while those happy remain happy and ignored by Aniplex. The recent pricing discussions in the AL thread were also split off but AL actually listen to our feedback which makes the situation a little less like a perpetual loop of suffering.

(Pretty sure the title I used when I made the split was different and I'll rectify in a sec; there was an old general Aniplex ranting thread in the old AUKN forums and it seemed to work ok with one thread for actual Aniplex announcements and another for commentary on how annoying it all is.)

R

The threads for Aniplex get split off because there's a long history of every Aniplex-related announcement turning into an incendiary price war which never goes anywhere since those unhappy with the pricing remain unhappy and ignored by Aniplex while those happy remain happy and ignored by Aniplex. The recent pricing discussions in the AL thread were also split off but AL actually listen to our feedback which makes the situation a little less like a perpetual loop of suffering.

(Pretty sure the title I used when I made the split was different and I'll rectify in a sec; there was an old general Aniplex ranting thread in the old AUKN forums and it seemed to work ok with one thread for actual Aniplex announcements and another for commentary on how annoying it all is.)

R

Yeah as I've said earlier, I'm getting fed up of people on the internet complaining over the same thing every time. The target audience for the main thread were towards those curious as to what the distributor has and those interested in collecting/buying certain shows they have on offer. The other thread that I had made (which was lost due to being made between Dec 2015 and June 2016) was aimed towards those who wants to complain about them in particular to keep the two big discussions separate.

And no worries I did modify the title considering I was the original owner of the previous one, I figured a rewording would have made it any better but I'm fine with what this thread's title currently has.

But it's like the Free stuff it always seems to repeat itself.

Aniplex is never not going to be controversial, because of how exclusionary their business practices are and the level of title they acquire. The fact they seem to want to export those business practices to markets where it's highly probable they will not work, suggests that they don't even really care about whether products are financially successful or not. (Jerome has said on Twitter the UK does not like multi-part releases, and there's a reason AL were avoiding them for so long.)

I would personally go as far as to suggest that Aniplex's new rules (6-episode sets, high SRPs) are probably why several recent Aniplex series are MIA in the UK. No Charlotte, no GOD EATER, no Classroom Crisis, no Working!. Maybe some of them will show up in years to come when their perceived value will have presumably decreased and distributors might be able to get nicer deals.

I'm interested in seeing how ERASED goes for AL. My heart wants to think that UK anime fans will shut this **** right down, and the release will be a disappointment for AL. But my brain says it's AL, people are convinced they can do no wrong, so it'll sell fantastically, they'll keep doing it and eventually non-Aniplex titles will get similar models. :( :sob:

I believe it will sell people will cry and moan but in the end will buy it and AL will listen to Sales figs more than anything else, just look at SamFlam took so long to get pt2 due to low sales.

Back