The Nintendo Switch Thread

Out of interest, has anyone bought a pro controller? If so, what are your thoughts?

I ended up buying one on launch day and ignoring the cost (which made my wallet weep) I'm really satisfied with my purchase. I play via handheld mode about 70% of the time but whenever I feel like gaming on the TV the Pro Controller feels great to use: nice weight, good sized buttons, and the grips are an appreciated touch. My only gripe is that its gyros were a bit too sensitive for Splatoon 2's testfire, so I'd likely either adjust the sensitivity next time 'round or just play Splatoon 2 in handheld mode.

People buying anything this month?

I'm picking up both Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Puyo Puyo Tetris later this month. :) As much as I've been loving Breath of the Wild on my Switch (my playtime has capped 80-85 hours now, can't recall which) it'll be nice to finally have something else to poke at.

Last edited:
Switch round-up:
  • ARMS - 16th June
  • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star - 25th July
  • Minecraft: Switch Edition - 11th May
  • Monopoly - Fall
  • Namco Museum - Summer
  • Neo Geo games coming to Switch:
    • Fatal Fury
    • Over Top
    • Blazing Star
    • Garou: Mark of the Wolves
    • Galaxy Fighter
    • Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
    • Last Resort
    • Sengoku
    • Samurai Shodown IV
  • Payday 2 - 2017
  • Senran Kagura Switch
  • Splatoon 2 - 21st July

I was very happy with the Direct tbh, love the new format.

Arms and SPlatoon 2 both look great. Still waiting to see the single player content for both though first before committing to buy.

Fate Extella, Battle Chasers and Nights of Azure 2 (JPN Stream) were very pleasant and welcome surprises. They're all on my list.

Played the ARMS TestPunch, quick impressions:

Just for clarification, I played in hand-held mode for the entire hour and played mainly as Mechanica.

VLhjn6G3.jpg
  • Controls in Hand-held mode are actually pretty good and this really surprised me
  • Hand-held mode is a legit way to play and doesn't feel like an afterthought, as somebody who will be primarily playing in hand-held mode I feel more than happy purchasing this game
  • Pressing ZL and ZR to punch and using the left stick to curve punches is pretty natural and easy to learn and understand
  • I did have difficulty grabbing quite often however for some reason, most likely due to me trying to grab while one arm was still yet to return but hard to say as I was too focused on the fights!
  • Pressing the left stick in to block is less than ideal but is doable and is something that I will inevitably get better at with time, I can see why they went with this control scheme however and it is by no means a deal breaker
  • The visuals on the tablet screen are gorgeous and the UI is great
  • I completely suck at 1v1v1 due to the camera
  • In this mode I did get the camera to lock onto the other player beside me by holding the right stick in his/her direction for a bit which seemed to work, probably missing something here.
  • I'm pretty good at V-Ball, some Arms have an advantage in this mode
  • People who just grab all the time suck!

I felt that I did quite well, won quite a few matches and lost a few, but for somebody playing at 1am in bed and for somebody playing for the first time I thought that I was pretty good! Due to only having an hour I didn't really experiment, I liked Mechanica. This is the config I went with:

Thanks for the impressions. Handheld mode is my preferred switch method, so the fact controls seem to work well without motion controls is great!

Edit - i thought the controls you reported sounded a bit different than i expected based on this

g8DJUsy_d.jpg

Its the same but what the image doesn't show you is that you can also use ZL and ZR for left and right punch and both ZL +ZR together for grab instead of using A + B. The right stick also changes target.

I absolutely adore the first game on Wii U which I probably put in over a 100 hundred hours, I can see myself spending more hours on 2. Salmon Run is really addictive, managed to beat a game of it with 3 players.

I'm definitely looking forward to next weeks splatfest. Team Ketchup all the way

What screen protector are people using? Been advised get one before I get the console
Probably not the best person to answer as my Switch is a dust collector right now and when I did use it it was never out the dock, but I (and a few friends) use the amFilm branded one you find on Amazon and it seems to work well enough.

People recommend going with a glass screen protector but I'm using the plastic one that came with the official carry case as I had bought it at launch with the system and didn't want to risk scratching the screen. I somehow did an amazing job and avoided getting any dust or bubbles which I'm proud of.

Well ive had a bizarre incident ordered my switch friday from tesco.with the 20 pound of code picked it up saturday.... Then sunday i get a cancellation email and stating a refund would be processed as they had ran out of stock??? Thought nothin of it may of been an accident but just checked bank and they have refunded me?

I watched the Direct. I quite enjoyed it, although it would have been nice to see one big surprise like Smash for example...

It was nice to see a couple of things drop directly (ha) after the Direct, like the ARMS update. I ran through the grand prix with her straight after which was fun. :D

Back