The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I like the fact this has made the front page of the BBC News website (spoilers ahead).

I try not to post too many strings of emojis here but, my reaction went something like this:

🤣
🥲😭🤢o_O:mad:🥰:p

Project revealed:
"now, Disney+ has given the project a name — that being Zen – Grogu and Dust Bunnies.

Zen is an original, animated short directed for the streaming service by Katsuya Kondo, which will be [was] released this Saturday, November 12, as both Disney+ and its acclaimed Star Wars series The Mandalorian celebrate their third anniversary. The film’s protagonist is Grogu, the breakout Mandalorian character known to many as Baby Yoda."

Not got a good score on MAL. That's a shame. Not even sure I'll bother, yet, because I haven't got round to watching the Mandalorian.

They have released a third trailer for the upcoming Trigun Stampede series at AnimeNYC. A series that promises to be a reinvention of the franchise using the original manga as a base while re-interpreting major elements to create a new story and timeline. The second trailer was primary focused on the protagonists and the more lighthearted aspect of the series. The third trailer focuses on the cast of villains and the dark side of the plot.

Stampede has proven to be contentious with the Trigun fanbase because of its CGI, re-designs of classic characters and meddling with the original story. Especially who were hoping for a direct adaptation of the source material.

Personally I'm fine with most of these new designs but don't prefer them to the originals. Having gone through the trailers multiple times there's a lot of interesting references, hints and changes that could be interesting or worrying and have landed more on the optimistic side of things. Quotes that have come out of AnimeNYC along with concept art show that the studio behind this have both a fondness for the source material and a very clear direction for this new version to take based on that. So I will remain hopeful as a fan of basically everything that came out of the franchise so far, even the anthology comic.

Why do I feel like I can hear a klaxon blaring in the distance? Suddenly I have the urge to bump Sentai releases higher up my shopping list...
It appears their losses are from cord cutters for like cable TV subscribers while online streaming has actually increased. However their increase in online streaming subscribers has not exceeded their losses in the TV cable services.

So their cable services are dragging down the rest. Hopefully they don't negatively affect their streaming services by trying to prop up dying interest in traditional cable TV.

For the first time, anime has appeared in Sight & Sound's list of the 100 greatest films ever made, as voted for by film critics. My Neighbour Totoro came in at joint 72nd place, and Spirited Away at joint 75th - both films beating Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times, David Lynch's Blue Velvet, Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, and Bong Joon-ho's Parasite.

Go! Go! Loser Ranger! (Sentai Daishikkaku), from the creator of The Quintessential Quintiplets, is getting an anime adaptation from the director of Tiger & Bunny Keiichi Satо̄. Studio is not known it seems.

I've heard about this series for a while (knowing it was a Super Sentai type manga) but this preview really got me interested now. It does help that Kodansha have released the first manga volume in print (with Volume 2 out next week) so now is probably a good time to check it out.

Rotton Tomatoes has published its list of the best films of the year. Jujutsu Kaisen 0 comes in at No. 9, Belle at No. 27, and Inu-Oh at No. 83.

After previous coverage I'm guessing it's now offical... a weeb has infiltrated the media!
Quintuplets movie review in The Guardian.

AOy5J6h.gif

Never saw the QQ series or know anything at all about it (I think I may have watched part of the first episode when it first aired), but just going by the looks of all the female leads I've seen images of, I'd vote Headphones Girl ftw... 🤔

Back