The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

"she is a helpless victim and not for the first time in the movie"

That's the most obvious possible route to take. Rubs me the wrong way, but I'll reserve further judgment.

Getting Silent Voice emotional manipulation vibes. Hated that that movie felt like it was trying its hardest to make me feel sorry for the girl instead of dignifying her.

Oh well.

"she is a helpless victim and not for the first time in the movie"

That's the most obvious possible route to take. Rubs me the wrong way, but I'll reserve further judgment.

Getting Silent Voice emotional manipulation vibes. Hated that that movie felt like it was trying its hardest to make me feel sorry for the girl instead of dignifying her.

Oh well.

FWIW I'm disabled and I've read the entire manga and I thought she was better portrayed there though it was still a problematic disability narrative in some aspects IMO (I'm not deaf so my opinion only counts for so much but I do have some awareness of disability politics). If I'm honest this is a general issue I have with Kyoani and their love of moe girl characters. But I'm not sure they were trying to make you feel sorry for her exactly... my feelings on the movie and manga are complicated 😅

FWIW I'm disabled and I've read the entire manga and I thought she was better portrayed there though it was still a problematic disability narrative in some aspects IMO (I'm not deaf so my opinion only counts for so much but I do have some awareness of disability politics). If I'm honest this is a general issue I have with Kyoani and their love of moe girl characters. But I'm not sure they were trying to make you feel sorry for her exactly... my feelings on the movie and manga are complicated 😅

I definitely have to watch the movie again to better cement my thoughts, but that was the vibe I came away with first time around... Interesting to know that there is a difference between the manga and the movie in terms of her portrayal.

But I'll try to be more open minded on a rewatch! Did you enjoy the movie, though? It's gorgeous, but I don't know. Maybe I misread the whole thing.

I definitely have to watch the movie again to better cement my thoughts, but that was the vibe I came away with first time around... Interesting to know that there is a difference between the manga and the movie in terms of her portrayal.

But I'll try to be more open minded on a rewatch! Did you enjoy the movie, though? It's gorgeous, but I don't know. Maybe I misread the whole thing.

I don't think you entirely misread it tbf to you... I enjoyed both the manga and movie - the manga meant more to me as I read it first and it's the complete story, but I did think the film was generally well done. I think it's just that certain things are a bit more fleshed out in the manga (also it shows it's pro-state assistance for disabled people and their families stance in one scene and as a disabled person who's been dependent on that my whole adult life and a period while I was still living at home, I honestly really appreciated that A LOT and wish it had not been left out of the film version.) As far as anime movies go I like things like the better Ghibli movies and Your Name/Weathering With You a lot more since they are usually originally planned as anime rather than based on manga, I had read Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones in preparation for the Ghibli movie and I enjoyed both though the book is better, I have not read the Eiko Kadono Kiki's Delivery Service stories but Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my favourite Ghibli movies and I would like to read the book and watch the live-action movie version they released as well. :)

Shingo Natsume directing a Tatamy Galaxy sequel at Science Saru, beyoncegodisreal.gif

Holy moly, excited to see what this looks like!

woah, the good news keeps on coming!
at first I was a bit disappointed that Yuasa isn't directing, but the studio he set up is working on it and Shingo Natsume does good work and directed one of the episodes of the first series so ... SAFE!

Shingo Natsume directing a Tatamy Galaxy sequel at Science Saru, beyoncegodisreal.gif

Holy moly, excited to see what this looks like!
That is brilliant, this day just gets better & better! Very excited, seeing as I've enjoyed every adaptation of Morimi's work thus far.
at first I was a bit disappointed that Yuasa isn't directing
I thought the same too, especially as he followed up with the fantastic Night is Young. But I can't say I'm surprised as I thought he was taking a break after his recent significant output. Not particularly acquainted with Shingo Natsume's work but the Science Saru connection and involvement in the original is very reassuring.

I was just a hair short of just ditching the 3 English volumes I had in favor of just getting the JP ones, so that is not too bad. (Still have the German OOP volumes, but those have been Omnibus volumes from the get go.)
Almost tempted to fill it out once more for a complete bundle, to replace the three I already have, since Amazon wasn't too friendly to them. =<

Back