The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Sony owned manga are releasing DxD the bigger crisis is female Anime shows where’s free, where’s Given etc etc
Sony entertainment US are different Sony Television US who are buying the anime companies

Sony owned manga are releasing DxD the bigger crisis is female Anime shows where’s free, where’s Given etc etc
Sony entertainment US are different Sony Television US who are buying the anime companies
They did cancel Interspecies Reviewers and release two censored versions of Tsugumomo on Blu-ray despite claiming each time it wouldn't be.

They did cancel Interspecies Reviewers and release two censored versions of Tsugumomo on Blu-ray despite claiming each time it wouldn't be.
Except they weren't informed how extreme Interspecies Reviewers would be. Even TV stations in Japan pulled it from broadcast after a few episodes so it's not an issue exclusive to Funimation.

Also while it is bad that they didn't communicate the Tsugumomo issue the problem with that is likely due to the masters sent by the Japanese licensor. Considering how they've released other ecchi shows uncensored I doubt they would censor it themselves.

Sony apparently set to buy Crunchyroll from AT&T giving them an effective monopoly on anime streaming.

Leaving the "censor" debate aside (though it's an important one, I don't know enough about it), I'm not a fan on these "One to rule them all" stuff that's been happening with international corporations in general. Tends to hamper the variety in the supply in the long run.

part of me would be happy to see stuff like aho-girl and gabriel dropout finally get released on blu-ray but part of me doesn't want funimation to have nearly everything considering their blu-rays get annoying with explosions cutting out the audio

what is your take on this @NormanicGrav?

Just say it did happen, would both services remain as they are?
And since they both won't be in "compteition" with each other in terms of liceasing, do you think we would see more shows on both services?
I think it's a big issue in terms of balance. Sony having Aniplex, Crunchyroll and Funimation altogether would provide zero competition and a massive monopoly, plus the home video side would be a mess.

The UK already saw the outcome of this via the Crunchyroll x Funimation deal and it's going to happen again unless Sony explicitly keeps Crunchyroll licenses separate from Funimation like how Aniplex of America is separate from Funimation (to provide better context, its a different Sony (Sony Music I think, someone else can clarify on that) that has Aniplex than the one who has Funimation). Sure we got Demon Slayer for Funimation in the US home video scene but it was never stated that more titles would be involved and other territories would join in the mix.

I imagine we'd go back to a situation like the fantastic couple of years where Funi and CR worked together to license shows with CR focusing on simulcasting and subbing, while Funi focused on dubbing.

I think since they broke up, despite paying for both services now, I watch less anime because I can't be bothered switching sites and apps.

I don’t think they were fantastic not home video wise Maid dragon’s choices, YOI’s choices because funimations dubs and the UK being screwed how has it took 3 years since airing for us to get maid dragon.
The only benefit is I didn’t have to use FUNimation terrible website but AoA are making me use this as they license crap or what I watch is still included in the deal (Fruits Basket for example)

Back