The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

So if they have the money to renew this license why can't they be sensible as re-release the original Macross Series (Not robotech) with English Subtitles

Might as well make some money out of the license

I'm just beyond tired with this Macross situation. I don't want to be sailing for this franchise but Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko really want to ruin it for everyone.

If only Bandai added English subtitles to their Blu-Rays.
They did add English subtitles to the Delta Blu-rays. The out-of-print d-Shudisuta-b Box of the Frontier movies and the out-of-print Macross Plus movie disc in the OVA+Movie set also have English subs.

Now would be a good time to re-issue some of the series and add English subs. 7 and Frontier have been OOP for some time now.

Huh, if they've done it for some then I don't know why they'd not do it for all but Do You Remember Love? in particular. Being a film, it would be easier and cheaper than doing a full series but I don't think they've ever released it with an English subtitle track.

Huh, if they've done it for some then I don't know why they'd not do it for all but Do You Remember Love? in particular. Being a film, it would be easier and cheaper than doing a full series but I don't think they've ever released it with an English subtitle track.
Some producers aren't as aware of the international fandom as others sadly.

They did add English subtitles to the Delta Blu-rays. The out-of-print d-Shudisuta-b Box of the Frontier movies and the out-of-print Macross Plus movie disc in the OVA+Movie set also have English subs.

Now would be a good time to re-issue some of the series and add English subs. 7 and Frontier have been OOP for some time now.
They should do what Sunrise has done with Gundam by offering a re-release with English subs for a number of their titles.

Harmony Gold has renewed their licence for The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada "well into the future"

Goodness knows how this came about, given the court cases between Harmony Gold and Tatsunoko in recent years. I guess Macross has no future here.
What? How? Why? Harm anime for Gold aren’t doing anything with Macross, why do they even still want it? Why would Tatsunoko agree to this after fighting those legal battles? I can only imagine some kind of blackmail was involved. Perhaps something even more sinister, given what we know about HG’s dealings I wouldn’t be surprised it they made someone “an offer they can’t refuse.”
So if they have the money to renew this license why can't they be sensible as re-release the original Macross Series (Not robotech) with English Subtitles

Might as well make some money out of the license
Even if they did, I wouldn’t buy it out of principle. Tatsunoko clearly doesn’t deserve my money any more than HG does to make a decision like this. Screw them both.

I want you all to know.

I am very disappointed.
Good grief. There's a name I've not seen in a long time.

Last edited:
Well, Rubinstein never liked sharing the license for Dawn of the Dead but that's getting a 4K release in the UK so there's still hope for Macross I guess.

I'd actually be surprised if they don't either release it themselves or sub-licence it, there'd be no reason to make a song and dance about the licence extension by holding a panel otherwise....surely?!

NBC Universal just announced that for the next 9 years they are making Serial Experiments Lain open source!
That sounds pretty amazing (and is perhaps a long overdue admission that all fan content currently exists in a legal grey area which everyone just mostly ignores, but for Lain they're essentially making it explicitly legal) but trying to read those terms and conditions through Google translate is a painful experience. This did catch my eye however:
Individuals residing in Japan
So western fans can't take advantage of this unless they move to Japan? That's slightly disappointing.

Yesterday a man manages to win a round on "Countdown" with a six-letter word: "Hentai".
I’m a little surprised it’s in the OED. Still not sure it would cut it in Scrabble. What’s even better was that right in the middle of that article I got an advertisement for Domestic Girlfriend, but sadly just as I was about to take a screenshot it rotated to some bland Guardian jobs ad.

Back