The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

britguy said:
Hmm, Universal usually release all of their blu-rays without region locking, would be weird if they started locking the titles they distribute for Funimation. Could end up good for importers.
As far as I'm aware they're not doing the disc authoring for them, just distributing to retailers. This appears to be a deal similar to the one Viz have with Warner Bros.

britguy said:
Hmm, Universal usually release all of their blu-rays without region locking, would be weird if they started locking the titles they distribute for Funimation. Could end up good for importers.

For titles where Universal only has UK rights they will region lock them, so they clearly aren't opposed to region locking, they just don't do it...

Lutga said:
Has that season of Magi even been formally announced yet for the UK? Good to see it might be coming along soon though.
I thought it had but apparently not - at least, I've still got it down as streaming only and I should have updated that if I'd heard anything. That said, Kaze having gone silent an Amazon listing is usually the first "announcement" we get these days.

Buzz201 said:
britguy said:

For titles where Universal only has UK rights they will region lock them, so they clearly aren't opposed to region locking, they just don't do it...

Universal UK are not Universal USA. Universal USA don't region lock anything.

But as Mangaranga has pointed out, this is a moot point really.

I was checking out the Kaze France webpage.

They have the entire City Hunter series on DVD and Record Of Lodoss War OVA on BD.

Any chance Kaze will slap English subs on those and make a UK relase?

Kaze also have a Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea it is French in origin, but I would be very happy if a UK release was made with the English dub.
It's one of my favorite cartoons from TCC.

I'll bet you anything the rights to City Hunter and Lodoss War are with the same (hypotheticl) vest wearing jerk who seems to own all the UK licences we want to see on disk or on CR.

And, oh my god someone who also knows of the TCC. I wish there was more stuff on TCC online.

Hooray! People that remember Spartakus! Loved it too when I was a kid, and it had an awesome theme song.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be disinclined to use France as a yardstick for the chances of older shows like that getting a release here. Many older titles like City Hunter have played in heavy rotation on French tv and have a following similar in strength to the Toonami-block titles in the UK and US, if not more so.

Also Spartakus was pretty boss, from what I remember.

Professor Irony said:
Also Spartakus was pretty boss, from what I remember.
This might be 1990, 3 year old me talking but I remember it being kinda ponderous, boring and lacking in ether Angry Space Gods (Ulysses) or Golden Robot Condors (Cities of Gold)

Admittedly, I probably wouldn't have called it a particular favourite at the time either, but it has stuck with me nevertheless. I liked the combination of the post-apocalyptic setting and weirdly dreamlike atmosphere. Couldn't have identified what it was at the time, but in hindsight, I think it also stood out for how different in look and tone it was to your typical US productions of the time too.

I'd put a moderate amount of money on it being influenced by the sci-fi comics work of Moebius from the '70s.

If not the drugs of selfsame
74iSLar.gif

PV's finally been released for School-Live. Excited for this on genre tags and the little I know of the manga contents. Could be a big one in the western world ..all things considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back